I found out old home site in peanut field is part of ghost town. More finds,

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer XS and X-Terra 50
After researching the home site in the peanut field Ive been hunting. I found out that the home is part of a ghost town from the late 1800's. The town had a store that dealt in lumber products and suplies for lumber workers. I also believe that there were two other towns that came and went during the 1800's prior to this one in the same general area. Ive been hunting on and off when I can the last couple days and wanted to get up a few photos
I was able to find the glass fruit jar lid you see as it still had part of the zinc seal and lid stuck to it. You can see the zinc seal above the lid.

index.php

Check out the handle on the spoon. It has a small soldier on it. Probably made around the 1930's or 40's in Europe.

index.php

Found this small silver band and 1910 wheaty this afternoon. Thats my second 1910 wheat on this site wheres that darn 1909.

index.php

Got these Sunday and Monday. 1883 and 1902 V nickel, 1888 I.H., 1920 Merc. and 1936 wheat.

index.php

A few overload signals.

index.php

Thanks for looking. Hope everones having a great holiday season. HH

Upvote 0

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I'm always impressed by all you guys on here!

HH,
Ramapirate

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds...love that spoon.

;) RR

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Wife would send a search party after around 3 day's maybe....Excellent Find's....Keep us Posted !!!!

OP
OP
DiggingFl

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
mountainman 2 said:
Some cool finds Diggin.The 1883 was the first year of the v-nickel.There were two varieties,the first did not have cents on the back.They were gold plated and passed as five dollar gold pieces.The cents was added later in the year.Which one do you have?MM2
Its the first of the two MM2. Sure would of been nice if it had CENTS on the back.

OP
OP
DiggingFl

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
Re: Fruit jar lids. What do they date.

Parkerized said:
Pretty work. Looks like you've got alot of fun diggin' ahead of you.
What timeframe do those zinc and porcelain lids date to. I've been finding alot of pieces of 'em myself.
Thanks
If I remember right they started using them around 1860. The early ones don't have any makers marks. I believe they started marking them in the late 1870s. And although the were sold as porcelain there really milk glass. I had a link that went in to some detail on them. If I can track it back down I'll PM it to you.

OP
OP
DiggingFl

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
gypsyheart said:
Very cool finds....Hope you can give us more info on the ghost town! Would love to hear about it!
All I really know right now Gypsy is the names of the three towns, The family that built the home in the peanut field and the name of the store. I have come across a few other family names that lived there. But not much written history as far as the town or a description of it. I'm probably going to end up in a plane and taking some I.R. photos to try and git the layout.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds!

hh

lonewolfe

riverseeker

Oct 11, 2006
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Man you are finding some nice stuff! I'm just North of you in Suwannee County and you've really given me a spark to get into the hobby. I guess that Florida really does have ghost towns too! I've been looking for Old Troy in Lafayette County and the Spanish Mission location at Charles Springs, no luck yet but your sucess is inspiring me. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread