What's new

I found this on my last outing, but what is it? *SOLVED*

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
5,249
Reaction score
1,102
Golden Thread
1
Location
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I dug this along a creek near my home. It has a history dating back to the 17th century, but I have dug a lot of Victorian era things as well there.

At first I thought it was a serving spoon, but as you can see it is not.

...Anyone?
 

Attachments

  • P9090001.webp
    P9090001.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 335
  • P9090003.webp
    P9090003.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 326
  • P9090002.webp
    P9090002.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 333
Re: I found this on my last outing, but what is it?

It looks like a handle off a water dipper or a pan.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I found this on my last outing, but what is it?

looks like it could of come from old water pump. maybe the spout
 
Upvote 0
Re: I found this on my last outing, but what is it?

Leg from a piece of doll furniture? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I found this on my last outing, but what is it?

I believe it to be a leg for a small box or chest. Should be three more, keep looking.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I found this on my last outing, but what is it?

Maybe a leg to a light weight kerosene heater .
 

Attachments

  • Perfection_heater_1919.webp
    Perfection_heater_1919.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 283
Upvote 0
Re: I found this on my last outing, but what is it?

mojjax said:
Maybe a leg to a light weight kerosene heater .

:hello2: :headbang: :notworthy: :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I found this on my last outing, but what is it?

I think the leg of a heater is a good call, but to me it doesn't seem to line up properly with the unit and the floor :icon_scratch: It looks as though the foot portion will would be above the floor due to the curvature :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I found this on my last outing, but what is it?

Montana Jim said:
Is it tin, brass or copper?

Definitely brass.

mojjax said:
Maybe a leg to a light weight kerosene heater .

Something similar, but it is made of brass. I guess there may be brass kerosene heaters.

spartacus53 said:
I think the leg of a heater is a good call, but to me it doesn't seem to line up properly with the unit and the floor :icon_scratch: It looks as though the foot portion will would be above the floor due to the curvature :dontknow:

It would rest with the curve as the foot.
 
Upvote 0
Neil, if your quarter is photographed in scale we are only talking about something four or five inches tall, correct? I agree completely that it is a leg, and it may very well be off an early heater. Considering it is brass and fairly light weight I'd tend to look towards cheaper victorian or later elevated fireplace screens also, which would often have brass legs, and be light weight. Another better possibility considering its very light weight, might be the leg off an antique chafing dish.
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...chafing+dish&ndsp=21&hl=en&sa=N&start=21&um=1
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom