🔎 UNIDENTIFIED I found this when I received change back - a small dime

Mdpartner

Sep 8, 2018
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am terribly sorry for the blurry picture. It was in a restaurant with dark lighting and my phone camera sucked. I was going to take a better photo when I got home but as the diminished dime was attracting a lot of attention, I was offered and accepted $20 for the dime. :dontknow:

I can tell as a connoisseur of coins, it did not have any markings on it that would identify it as a fake or a copy. It had a copper core as all clad dimes do. I cannot remember the date or mint mark. It looked like it was either cut down to size or shaved BUT, it still had the knurled edge like all dimes. Also, to my calibrated eyeball, the head of FDR is the same size as the "good" dime.

Suggestions? Reactions? Obfuscations? Estimations? Postulations? Speculations? Suppositions? Circumcisions? Conclusions? Theorizations?

small dime.jpg

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impossible to say for sure with the blurry pictures. Some possibilities are, a coin that has been in an acidic environment, deliberately filed or ground down, or could be a fake coin. If it still has the reeded edge though there is no way it could be any kind of mint error. Modern coins are struck in a closed collar which impresses the reeding, if it was smaller it would not reach the collar so it wouldn't have any reeds.

Upvote 3

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impossible to say for sure with the blurry pictures. Some possibilities are, a coin that has been in an acidic environment, deliberately filed or ground down, or could be a fake coin. If it still has the reeded edge though there is no way it could be any kind of mint error. Modern coins are struck in a closed collar which impresses the reeding, if it was smaller it would not reach the collar so it wouldn't have any reeds.
I will add the other possibility of a "wrong planchet".

Upvote 4

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What planchet is smaller than a dime? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 3

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's paying $20 ea. for them? I have dozens of dimes like that from years of being in the surf.

Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What planchet is smaller than a dime? :icon_scratch:
Something Foreign... possibly ?
We do after all mint for other countries... err or at least we use to mint for others last time i checked.
And...
It would not be the first time i have seen it... just not in this case.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread