Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I've posted a few times recently about a http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/655884-sidewalk-nowhere-except-good-coins.html.

Yesterday I finally did a bit of exploring and found out where the sidewalk leads: an area filled with old picnic tables. There are probably a dozen of them, which makes sense because this park is around 100 acres that surround a set of old buildings that served as a convent, orphanage, school and summer camp throughout the 20th century (beginning in the 1920's). The buildings themselves are still private property (and unoccupied, and falling into disrepair) but the land was purchased by our town about 10 years ago.

Some of you may wonder why I hadn't found this area yet - and that's a legit question. When I head out to detect I tend to just...detect. I typically only get an hour or two in the field, so I don't tend to explore - I tend to swing and dig.
When I got to the field yesterday I followed my typical pattern: I started digging north/uphill of the sidewalk in the open field (under the blazing sun), and I found some modern clad, wheat pennies and one Mercury dime (1940).
With the temperature rising above 90 degrees yesterday I needed a break from the sun, so I pushed my way through the bushes and....there were the tables.
I was using the XP Deus and around the tables I started hearing nothing but VDI's in the 60's and 70's - pulltabs and bottle caps. I walked around for maybe 20 minutes and didn't get a single coin signal, so I called it a day.

Today I went back but I used the Equinox 800, and with it I was able to sniff out another Mercury dime (1943) from near the table in the middle picture below. But I'd already been detecting earlier in the day (at a location that was a bust) and I was tired/hot again, so after finding the Merc I headed home.

Those tables and that field will be waiting for me - and I can't wait to head back!

- Brian

Notes on the finds:
- the round things on the upper left were just interesting; two look like escutcheons.
- the silver thing in the lower left is an aluminum pin, the kind that would have had a smiley face on it.
- the red truck parts are more of the "Metal Masters Co." toy pickup truck (circa 1940's). I found the bed previously, and these were maybe 10 feet away. Probably hit with a lawnmower.
- the piece of lead (upper right) looks like a frog to me. What does it look like to you?

YSupykk.jpg

Ak9Szjh.jpg

QcOGn3Y.jpg

Upvote 16

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looked like a busy day. Congrats!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one round raised (escutcheon) with the two holes on the side looks like an old doorbell button cover.

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on your pictures and your collection of finds, this looks like a good spot! Congrats on the two silvers, and all the rest.
Keep us posted on future hunts.

PS- I was born in East Organe, and spent time growing up in Berkely Heights and Summit as a kid. Moved up to Massachusetts in 1973.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Good potential there! I bet those walls by the steps had kids climbing on them. Might be a good place to start before getting into the trashy areas?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions