Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I'm sharing this video in case anyone is interested in my presentation recapping 4 years of detecting adventures here in my New Jersey town.
The video is 60 minutes long, with 40 minutes being presentation and 20 minutes of Q&A.

Background: during those four years of detecting here I've been writing and sharing posts about my detecting activities on my town's local Facebook page ("About Mendham") in a sort of recurring "column". I called my column "Metal Detecting Mendham" and over that time I posted maybe 40 times - medium-length posts (3 or 4 paragraphs) with some pictures, and I worked hard to tie the item(s) I wrote about into local history or into some other interesting historical fact (This wasn't just a "look at what I found!!!" type of column).

Well, as a result of Metal Detecting Mendham I developed a bit of a following in the local area. People would stop me and ask, "did you find anything interesting lately Brian?" The guy at the bank surprised me by saying, "I saw your latest post..." That sort of thing. A few homeowners invited me to detect their properties, which was a nice side-benefit of the posts.

Recently when the director of the Township Library learned that my family and I are moving to Delaware later this month they asked me to give a presentation on metal detecting, and they left it up to me to decide on the agenda. I gave the presentation this past week, and we recorded it - a link to the video is below.
The agenda includes:
  • a little about me, my family, and why I detect
  • the equipment I use
  • why Mendham has been a great place to detect
  • techniques I use to find places to detect
  • examples of applying some of those techniques (old maps, aerial photos, Google Street View/Earth), with example locations and finds
  • other examples of items I've found
  • Q&A
I'm not looking for "views" but thought that someone from the Treasurenet community might enjoy watching this. I hope you do!

- Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread