I Got On a Plane To Fly 2,814 Miles & Found Two Cents!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For this California boy it was a little strange metal detecting in Pennsylvania! My wife had her annual family reunion, this year it was
in Pennsylvania. All the families that gathered for this reunion decided to rent an old farm house for all of us to meet at. This farm house was built in
the 1870's! With permission with the owner and only 2 hours to hunt I decided to give the front yard and one of the side yards my best shot.
After the first 45 minutes on the side yard I only found 2 coins, both were clad quarters. The place was infested with nails, square & round ones.
Most of the iron I could avoid, but still dug about a dozen of them. The front yard proved to be more productive, 6 wheaties and some clad coins,
but I really wanted to find at least 1 good coin before my 2 hours was up. Right in the middle of the front yard was a solid coin reading at only 2
inches in depth...out pops a 1864 Two Cent Piece! Last time I found one of these was about 20 years ago! We don't find many of these in California!
You guys on the east coast really have an advantage on us west coasters, those older coins are a lot more common in the east!...:)

Attachments

• Pennsylvania Trip 001.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 001.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 213
  • Pennsylvania Trip 002.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 002.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Pennsylvania Trip 004.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 004.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Pennsylvania Trip 005.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 005.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Pennsylvania Trip 006.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 006.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Pennsylvania Trip 011.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 011.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Pennsylvania Trip 010.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 010.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Pennsylvania Trip 009.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 009.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Pennsylvania Trip 008.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 008.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 185
  • Pennsylvania Trip 007.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 007.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Pennsylvania Trip 020.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 020.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Pennsylvania Trip 014.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 014.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Pennsylvania Trip 015.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 015.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Pennsylvania Trip 013.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 013.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Pennsylvania Trip 012.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 012.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 187
  • Pennsylvania Trip 006.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 006.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 208
  • Pennsylvania Trip 008.JPG
    Pennsylvania Trip 008.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 32
Nice pics, story, photos, and finds! Looks like a real good site. A good friend of mine has a daughter in that part of PA--just recently told him I'd like to go out there with him and detect. I don't believe that's a dog tag...my guess is it's a vehicle tag of sorts but someone here will know.

That's a good family reunion

What is it about these Two Cent pieces ? I've seen so many of them dug up that just look stellar - great patina , all kinds of detail
kind of a mystery ?

That 2 cent piece is gorgeous! Who is the agent for that property? I'm ready to move back east!
Not kidding......

Congrats on that old keeper. You scored big in that 2 hr hunt.:occasion14:

Beautiful 2 center CHF. Properties like that are abundant here, but permissions aren't always lol.

Congrats on the 2 center find. Looks to be in great shape.

beautiful site you were on, welcome to the great state of PA, yeah we are definitely fortunate to be in such an old part of the country, Ive been fortunate enough to dig 3 2 centers, 1 in each of the last 3 years, yours is awesome!, good job on the old finds!, some cool relics as well!!!

Congratulations on the 2-cent recovery, it still has some nice detail!

Nice!! That's a coin that is on my bucket list to dig... :thumbup:

Awesome 2cent piece! Doesn't it just drive you nuts when there's so much ground to search and you can't!

Nice post, as usual. Congrats on the two center, it looks really nice, smooth and green. Well done!

Congratz! That is a beautiful coin!

Very great layout of the homesite you searched.The pics tell the story of your hunt.I would love to rent that awesome old homesite for a day or two!!!

Beautiful two cent piece. Somebody was clearly "praying" for that one. :laughing7: Congrats!

Thanks for sharing. Headed to Pa in October for the FMDAC Metal Detecting Event at Gettysburg, Also a Civil War Relic Show that week

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back