I had no idea when I posted this back in 2021 that it was a rare political campaign piece!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 7.56.20 AM.jpg

Original post: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/it-took-14-days-to-cook-the-horse.662808/#post-6836988

It took me a couple of years to realize this piece is actually cast bronze instead of cast iron, and I discovered that by mistake this past Friday when I tried to make a display using magnets to hang other things along with it. That got me thinking again and started doing some research. I discovered that this piece is a cast bronze sculpture made by and signed by John Quincy Adams Ward, who had a studio in New York in 1861 and served as the President of the National Academy of Design until 1874. This sculpture was inspired by an illustration by F. O. Darley of General George McClellan on horseback with his cap in his hand down by his side.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 8.30.34 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 41

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2108975

Original post: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/it-took-14-days-to-cook-the-horse.662808/#post-6836988

It took me a couple of years to realize this piece is actually cast bronze instead of cast iron, and I discovered that by mistake this past Friday when I tried to make a display using magnets to hang other things along with it. That got me thinking again and started doing some research. I discovered that this piece is a cast bronze sculpture made by and signed by John Quincy Adams Ward, who had a studio in New York in 1861 and served as the President of the National Academy of Design until 1874. This sculpture was inspired by an illustration by F. O. Darley of General George McClellan on horseback with his cap in his hand down by his side.

View attachment 2108974
That’s Pretty Cool!!! Wow!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful recovery!
Sweet. I have made some discoveries of my own after years from finding relics and realizing what they are.
That’s Pretty Cool!!! Wow!!! Congrats!!!
That’s great. What a piece of history!
Very nice find and great restoration. Congrats!
What an incredible piece, just fantastic!

Thanks very much, fellas! :icon_thumleft:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So cool! Great job on the research. Beautiful piece of history.
I would be making that piece my avatar.

Chaplain Cody

Oct 11, 2023
Devine, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter "Lone Star"
Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2108975

View attachment 2108974
Great find & research!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread