What's new

I hate coin counting machines!

Jack_MIghtyheart

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2008
Messages
420
Reaction score
34
Golden Thread
0
Location
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to TD Bank (Formerly Commerce) to dump my rejects, because they have a free coin counting machine. Well, I dumped the remainder of my $100 in nickels and $50 in dimes, plus some pocket change. I KNOW that I dumped $50 in dimes, but the machine only counted $4.00. I told the teller about this, and they checked the machine. Well guess what? No jams in the machine or anything, so there's nothing they can really do about it. They took my name and phone number and said they would call me after they send it out, and if there's any discrepancy they would call me and refund me the money. I doubt that will happen. So, I'm out $50 and the bank is out my business.
 
Upvote 0
I had to double check that... I thought it counted $40 instead of $50... but nope... it was $4 =)

That blows!

Are you ABOSULETLY sure you dumped that much? I've made the mistake before of thinking I did and having another coing stash somewhere else temporarily forgotten.

Also... machines can really glitch up, so it is possible. I just hope you either find those dimes or get a call about you refund for the machine being off.

~Dave
 
I am POSITIVE I dumped those dimes. Otherwise, I wouldn't have even had those $4.00 it -did- count. I just really hope they give me a call about that and I get my money back. I'm a poor college student and I really can't afford to lose money from my CRH pool.
 
I hear ya!

Good luck with mis-calc. Don't be afraid to call then or push then on this. This ain't no like $5 error.

~Dave
 
I had a similar experience. I went to a TD bank and dumped a box of dime which I just bought from another bank and retrieved 3 silver ones. The machine only counted $247.50. Some 20 dimes were missed out by the machine.
 
Thats how they can keep the coin counter machine free.
Hope you hear back from the bank but I wouldn't hold my breath. Jeff
 
That bloody well blows. I hope you can sort it out asap!
Anthony
 
I have had that happen before (twice)....

one time I was short $20 in nickels ($100 box) ... I can't remember if I called the bank back after I left or mentioned it when I was there.... but they reran the bags to get the machine totals and credited me for the offage....I believe I ended up with like $23.71 or something...

The other time (same bank)...I had maybe $458 in halves (or some similar amount), but I knew the exact amount and it was off $2. When I said this they just gave me the $2 difference in cash and I walked out. :)

I haven't used their coin machine since the second time....not worth the hassle (and I no longer have an account with them).
 
Ouch! I dumped $200 in pennies and had taken out $1.50 or so and the machine messed up and I got 3 extra dollars. I would def. call the manager and complain. If he says anything along the lines of sorry there isnt nething I can do promptly tell him that you will file a report on ripoff report.com and will tell all your friends about the incident. This should get their attention and your money back.
 
i have alot of experience with TD Bank North.....they are my dump banks....they use the Penny Arcade which has the tray on top....this tray doesn't always push all the coins into the hopper....usually i pull the tray off the top and dump directly in the hopper....can't tell you how many times before dumping i would shake the tray and hear coins drop into the hopper....these counters see alot of action on any given day and i have had some similar problems with them....i feel i have been shorted on occasion but since i don't check my rolls to see if they are exactly right, i can't say that they were wrong on a count..i may have been shorted by the bank who supplied me...that and i'm a lousy counter anyway ;D..but $4.00 out of $50.00 sounds terrible....i thought i was shorted about $5.00 once and complained and they did the same thing ..i asked how often they calibrated thier machines and they said daily :dontknow:..took my name and number and said they'd call if the count was wrong.....never got a call....how would they know it was me if thier count was off and not someone else who didn't complain?....usually i say nothing when short a little because on numerous occasions i wound up with a few bucks more than what i put in due to what i described above ....i have also found another problem with thier machines....when the tellers change some bags they don't push the bag out of the way of the reject shoot so all the coins don't drop into the tray....had some decent(and large) finds by pushing the bag aside and letting the coins drop ;D...i also have noticed many coins on the floor underneath the coin counter when they pull it out to change bags...no idea how they got there unless they were dropped on the floor and rolled under....can't see how that many coins were dropped and happened to roll there as they are pretty close to the floor :icon_scratch:
 
at one of my dump banks the counter is always off. it is kind of like rolling the dice. sometimes it is in my favor sometimes not. the machine is free so as long as it is not off too bad i can live with it. i never dump dimes into it because it counts dimes as pennys sometimes. before i caught on it cheated me out of 25.00 in dimes, the next week it gave me 60.00 more than i dumped. so like i said it is always off. in fact it is down right now, probably needs to be put out to pasture some place. anyway it is a small town bank. why don't you try and dump a boat load of pennies in it and see if it will count them as dimes? just a thought....
 
I guess I did also have one other experience where when dumping a bag of approx....$1000 in dimes into a self serve machine, I ended up with like $990 and 80 pennies....now I know I had only dimes in the bag and there should have been around $998....when I mentioned it to the teller she trusted me and credited my the 80 pennies as dimes and said they probably needed to recalibrate the machine as that happens sometimes.
 
well TD got me again today....i only removed 1 penny , 2 dimes and i penny fromTobaggo out of $150.00 worth of dimes....i got $143.83 :icon_scratch:
 
mistergee said:
well TD got me again today....i only removed 1 penny , 2 dimes and i penny fromTobaggo out of $150.00 worth of dimes....i got $143.83 :icon_scratch:

It must be something with the dimes. It never messes up anything else for me.
 
Wow - I would RUN to another coin machine!!!! :o
 
it doesn't happen that often TF...but each time it has been with dimes....now thinking of it its always dimes and clad pennies that seem to always be in the reject tray....
 
I didn't think to mention it until just now, but a while back when I was dumping halves, the whole machine got jammed up, but didn't say anything. It just stopped counting like it was done, and printed my receipt out. If I hadn't been paying attention, it would have stolen nearly $50 in halves from me, just because it was so jammed. Seems like it's safe when it counts nickels, though.
 
a teller at one of my dump banks with a machine told me one day that halves tear the machine up. has anyone else been told something like this?
 
just got raped for 41.00 out of the 500.00 halves bag i bought. lol with no lube
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom