✅ SOLVED I have a bullet that has people and I stumped. Any idea?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_2915.JPG IMG_2916.JPG IMG_2917.JPG IMG_2936.JPG

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's .71" or 18.2 mm Quote

in the pic at the start of this post the calipers read 11.1, i would assume mm.

Upvote 0

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that correct, it’s a 44 cal
In that distorted condition it would be impossible to get an accurate measurement of the bullet. Than too weigh in the factor that different cartridges in the same caliber range will measure differently, i.e. the .44 WCF (.44-40) measures at .427" on the driving bands, the .44 special/ magnum measure .429" than there is the old frontier days .44 Colt, American, and Russian, all produced by Colt, Smith and Wesson and others. I don't have knowledge of their measurements.

With that hollow base on your bullet I do believe it to be an old bullet. The hollow base btw was to cause the skirt of the bullet to expand upon firing, gripping the rifling in the bore causing a gas seal. Bullet molds are sold to this day by various companies with the hollow base for those wishing to cast bullets, reload for and fire old guns.

Oh and no I don't know what bullet you have either.[emoji20]

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I missing something? Seems obvious... .44 caliber Minie Ball

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minié_ball

I think we have established that it is a .44 caliber Minie. What the OP and everyone else wants to know is what variety is it. Who was it made by? What gun was it made for? When was it made? If you can find a match for this particular bullet I would live to see it.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think we have established that it is a .44 caliber Minie. What the OP and everyone else wants to know is what variety is it. Who was it made by? What gun was it made for? When was it made? If you can find a match for this particular bullet I would live to see it.:thumbsup:

Would having the weight help?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charlie_P. (NY) asked:
> Is there any historical reference to a Miniè of less than .54 caliber?

Yes. The "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" (by James E. Thomas & Dean S. Thomas) shows several varieties of .44 Minie-bullets. The book says they were made for use in old "Kentucky" or "country" rifles rebored and rifled to approximately .44-caliber by the State of Tennessee for use by its Confederate troops during the civil war. They therefore are called a "Tennessee Rifle" MInie. See bullets 63 and 64 in that book.

It is very important to mention that there are several known "forms" of .44 Tennesseee Rifle Minies. They all have a cone cavity, or teat-in-cone cavity, but some have three body-grooves and some have two wide flat-bottomed grooves. I think Truth1253's .44 Minie, being dug in Louisiana, could be a "Trans-Mississippi Theater" version of Tennessee Rifle Minie. But it might have been made for some other kind of weird CS .44 Rifle used in Louisiana and the Trans-Mississippi Department. It is not shown in the Thomas-&-Thomas "Handbook." It may be shown in the Thomas Brothers' huge "Round Ball To Rimfire, Volume 4" book (which shows ONLY Confederate bullets). I'll need some time to look through all the photos in that very lengthy book for this very unusual .44 Minie.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions