I have a question for you glass hounds

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
I was metal detecting a farmhouse this past Monday and came up with an interesting signal. I decided to investigate and it was the top of a mason jar lid. As I was digging I was coming up with a bunch of broken glass but was able to pull out 1 mason jar with the lid still attached. It's nothing special but it's something. My question is what do I do now. I know there is a bunch of glass/bottles in this area because my spade would just sink everytime I put it in the dirt. This is an abandoned site. What is the proper way to excavate the site so that I don't break anything. Thanks for any help your willing to share.
GL and HH,
Frank

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
tank014 said:
I was metal detecting a farmhouse this past Monday and came up with an interesting signal. I decided to investigate and it was the top of a mason jar lid. As I was digging I was coming up with a bunch of broken glass but was able to pull out 1 mason jar with the lid still attached. It's nothing special but it's something. My question is what do I do now. I know there is a bunch of glass/bottles in this area because my spade would just sink everytime I put it in the dirt. This is an abandoned site. What is the proper way to excavate the site so that I don't break anything. Thanks for any help your willing to share.
GL and HH,
Frank

Find the dump and dig carefully. See Bev's post "Found a virgin bottle dump- want to do it right" about twenty below or so. Good luck and hope to see some pics!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
How old is the site , just curious? As you know the older the better. Get out the hand shovels and start pulling up some glass and as Gleaner says, lets see some pics please. Goodluck jgas

OP
OP
T

tank014

Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Ace 250, Garret 1250
I'm not entirely sure but I'm thinking 1900 to 1920. I'll see what I will find. I'll probably try and go over there on Tuesday. Thanks for the advice.
GL and HH,
Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread