What's new

I have get this out of my system

artemis moon

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2007
Messages
874
Reaction score
149
Golden Thread
0
Location
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been doing nothing but rain here in New England and I've been itching to get out and use my machine. I've had a great site in mind for years now..a town that was founded on a hill and was relocated clsoer to the river by oxcart in the 1830's. I called the town offices and checked to make sure that there are no ordinances on the books that would prohibit me from searching there and was told that there were not. Finally got a break in the weather, and decided to put on some rubber boots and get out to the site. Well, after about 20 minutes of detecting and digging a few square nails and twisted iron, this man in a pick up truck pulls up..bear in mind, there is nothing in this area..it's not a park, there are no buildings..nothing. So, anyway, I could tell by the way that he was stalking towards me that he was angry. First, he asked me what I'd found. I smiled and was friendly..told him that I found a few nails. He proceded to tell me to "Get the hell off this property..that it was a historical site and that it belongs to the town." I told him that I had checked with the town and that it was OK for me to detect here. He demanded the name of the person I'd spoken to, and when I couldn't tell him, (I wrote it down but left it in my office) he told me that I was Bullsh**ing him and that I was stealing historical artifacts from taxpayers. I countered that if anyone cared for those "artifacts" they wouldn't be moldering in the ground. At that point, we really started getting into it. He threatened to call the sherriff, and I told him to go right ahead. I knew full well that he wouldn't get cell phone service, even if he tried. I just didn't know what else to say or to do..it's not that I felt that he was going to physically attack me, but I sure felt intimidated and I really didn't want to back down and let him win. After some more back and forth that I can't remember, he finally got in his car and left. I was so flustered and upset that I just went home. I know this type of person- one of those self-riteous individuals who has nothing better to do but to fight all of the perceived wrongs in his own little world and can't just do his own thing and let others do theirs. In any event, he ruined my entire evening and made me think twice about going out by myself ever again. I'm sure that there are others out there that have dealt with this and worse. How did you handle it?? :sadsmiley:
 
Guy sounds like a blowhard alright. Should have asked him for ID so you had his name for the record and if he refused, just jot down his license plate and vehicle info and let him know that when the sheriff shows up you'll have his name to cite who was harassing you...then gone on your merry way of detecting.
I personally never had any encounter with hotheads...guess I'm lucky....so far. But I won't be run off public land by one. Keep your cool when you know you're right.

Al
 
Sounds like a CONTROL freak to me,a LOT of them folks around,you have the ok, STAND YOUR GROUND! God Bless Chris
 
Good thing I wasn't with you! I'm a little bit of a hot head according to my wife. I'd made him mad enough to take a swing at me then I'd seen who was the better boxer! Lol
But you done the right thing by keeping your cool. <--- can't believe I'm saying this!
 
I would have told him that I was looking for the guy I whacked last month, and if he wanted to help :laughing9:

I know he's right around here somewhere :tongue3:
 
spartacus53 said:
I would have told him that I was looking for the guy I whacked last month, and if he wanted to help :laughing9:

I know he's right around here somewhere :tongue3:

That's great!!! :D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom