68.9 KB · Views: 570
OP
OP
Snee

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
The scanner did no justice to how pretty the colors of blue are. It's layered with dark blue and light blue rock. At the top it has a spot of what looks like amber, but I don't see how that's really possible... On one side of it it has a chip that's kind of like how obsidian does. It's really neat!

Attachments

• bluestripedrock.JPG
    bluestripedrock.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snee

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
This one came with the rock tumbler forever ago too. It's a clear rock with either wood splinter or pine needle inclusions in it. What kind of rock is this anyway?

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• inclusions.JPG
    inclusions.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 587
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snee

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I've decided the third rock is rutilated quartz. I still don't know what the inclusions are though...they look just like wood splinters, but I don't know if that's possible.

Upvote 0

GabbyGEP

Mar 30, 2005
Platteville, Colorado
Snee

The first looks like either orbicular jasper or mexican lace agate
The second looks like a banded agate from the lake Superior region
The third is a tourmalinated quartz. The inclusions are tourmaline.

Great rocks. Hope you find more. Just adding my 2 cents worth.

Good luck and HH
GabbyGEP(Gaylord)

Upvote 0

Naturelady

Greenie
Nov 14, 2005
Columbia Gorge, Washington
Your top rock (red one) is definitely a Lake Superior Agate - from anywhere from Minnesota to S. Shore of Lake Superior in Michigan. Depending on the size you can get a good price for that little piece.

Second - agate of some variety.

Third - might not be actually rutilated agate - might be something more like a Montana Moss.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snee

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Thank you for all of you who have presented your two cents! :) It has helped, but I still don't have an absolute. Everyone seems to think they're all different things :( Any more information would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Upvote 0

mjaynes

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2005
w.n.c.
Detector(s) used
garrett gtax1000/minelab exp.2..the best/wot/sunray probe
hi, just stumbled on this site not too long ago...been detecting for a few years...been collecting rocks and gem cuttin as a profession(faceting and cab cuttingand gold/silversmithing) for about 16 yrs.1st pic looks to be leopardskin agate,2nd looks like agate as well,3rd is tourmaline in qtz. no doubt about that one. since i work with materials like these daily i thought i would chime in. i am in western n.c. and in 3 counties around me there are over said to be over 1500 of the known 5200 or so varities ....great area for that...also great for md'ing...not too many around here do it...gonna try and find some becthler coins one day...met a couple of guys who had found a few over thr years a while back. anyway,great to be here,mike

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread