What's new

I just bought 20.1 pounds of pennies for $34 from a tenant that is moving

mr_larry

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
504
Reaction score
169
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, one of my tenants is moving. It is actually a married couple, and they are moving to New York from San Francisco.
They were eager to get their deposit back, so the wife asked me to give them a "walk-through" to explain what they they needed to pay attention to, in order to receive their entire deposit back. This is a high-end rental and it was in perfect shape, so there were no issues.

What I noticed, upon entering the apartment, was a huge gallon Ziploc bag of pennies and another full of nickels. I immediately commented and asked about the collection. The wife said that during the past 4 years they had been living there that they had dumped all of their change in a large container. Since they did not want to move the change, her husband had recently began to separate it, with the intention of rolling it and cashing it in at the bank.

I wanted it. They were not coin collectors. They may have culled a few wheats, but I was after the copper and any of the rare 1969-1972 coins.
A couple of days passed and they wanted a letter of referral from me as the manager when they looked for apartments in NYC. I told them I would be happy to come down and sign any letter they wrote, and, by the way, would they sell me their pennies at $1.70/pound?

So to make a long story only slightly shorter, I bought 20.1 pounds of pennies for $34.00.
I have not looked at them yet, but I see a ton of copper in there just glancing through the bag.

I will update this post with a final tally, including:
Total $ value of all coins
Total # of copper cents
Total zincs
Percentage of coppers from the batch
Any unusual finds

Happy coin hunting and a Merry Christmas to all!

ML
PS: Check back in a day or two for the totals. I have some yang on the agenda tomorrow but I'm free after that.
 
Upvote 0
Looking forward to the results!!
Happy holidays and thank you for sharing the story!
 
$1.70 per pound is about right. It takes 181 zincs to make a pound and 146 coppers. 170 is in the middle.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom