I just captured the Chief of the Indians...1909 S IHC WOW!!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
So I couldn't take it anymore and decided to brave the cold and the rain. Grabbed the chest waders, shoulder length gloves, AT Pro, the Stealth 720i and headed out to an old logging camp swim area. If you read my threads, this is the same area that has given up some very nice and very old (for my area) items such as the HK 10k signet ring, the old large sterling crucifix, various wheats, old tax tokens, etc. Well when I dug this penny it made my day and my hunt. I had no idea that it is the rarest of all the Indians until I got home and looked it up. Just over 300,000 were minted...HOLY SMOKES! I could not believe it. This is only the second IHC I have ever found since starting metal detecting 2 years ago. Along with this amazing coin I managed to also find a small sterling heart and chain, some old brass buckles and some bullets before the cold got to me and I had to head out. About 3 hours hunting. Not pictured is the clad and trash.

FYI, the IHC was about 8" under the sand sitting right on top of the clay layer in about 4' of water. I have not cleaned it. I am unsure what the silver colored material is on it.

Take care and happy hunting!
IMG_20161117_135428.jpg IMG_20161117_135514.jpg IMG_20161117_135617.jpg IMG_20161117_135631.jpg IMG_20161117_135706.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 35

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find! Ive been wanting a key date of any coin and you got one on your second indian ever. Jealous!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great coin find. Confrats

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find. I found a 1909 plain ihp once and never see them posted. Didnt think Iwould ever se a 1909S:icon_thumright:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I remember someone else posting one about a year ago and they didn't have a clue there was a mint mark on it. A lot of folks would simply overlook this 1909 as having the possibility. Glad you turned it over and looked:thumbsup:

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Marvelous finds! Congrats. -Lisa & John

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fantastic find! Good chance for banner on that one! Big congrats!

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find��

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!! Never saw an Indian with a mint mark.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find! Congratulations on such a rare coin. Thanks for sharing!

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
First off, great dig! But you also "dug up" a bad memory I'd like to forget. Back in 1999, I too dug up a 1909-S Indian cent (in upstate NY). The only problem was that the back of the coin was covered with a thick, green-black layer of oxidation. It was much more corroded than the typical Indian cent I dug around there. The mint mark was plainly there in exactly the right spot, but it had an awfully thick layer of grime covering it. I had cleaned thick gunk off many Indian cents with the tip of a pocket knife and had great success, so I set to work on this one. Too bad that the entire "S" mint mark flaked off with the first scrape of the knife, and it went right down the drain of the kitchen sink! :BangHead:

I could not believe my misfortune. The local detectorists spent the next few weeks in the coin shop debating whether it was just so corroded that the mint mark was no longer made of metal, or if it was actually a fake one with an added mint mark, which had somehow been lost out in the woods. Either way, it turned into a "big one that got away" story. Ironically, I am recalling this horror story from a hotel room in San Francisco as we speak. I'm sure there's a 1909-S Indian buried under this hotel, and it's probably laughing at me.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A true rarity- Huge Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting