What's new

I just thought I had a good day........

Roland58

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
1,193
Reaction score
56
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After looking through the other posts in "Today's Finds", I just thought I had a good day. I found my first two wheaties, neither of which are as old as I am. Spent about 5 1/2 hours in a little park that I found......it is a block long and about 300' wide. I only made four round trips going the "block" direction. It took all that time because I was digging foil and hoping for something better, but, just found foil. I did find 53 pennies (yeah, I dig zinc), 17 nickels, 11 dimes and 7 quarters amongst the foil and tabs. I've only been at this for about two months and have enjoyed every second, although, getting down, digging and getting back up a hundred times takes its' toll on this ol' body. As I was rubbing the dirt off of one of the nickels I saw a buffalo and thought, "Wow! A buffalo nickel!!" But, nay, it was a 2005 with George on the front.....that just ain't right!

I'm really happy for all you folks finding silver, gold and 16th century coins.......I really am. But, I still feel pretty good about my first two wheaties!
 
Upvote 0
Keep at it seems like what you are finding will eventually lead you to the Gold and Silver!!!!! HH Chug!!!!
 
not everyone finds the big stuff right away so be patient and keep digging

HH

Diana
 
Congrats Roland on your first two wheaties and don't worry, "IF YOU DETECT, THE SILVER AND GOLD WILL COME" :laughing9: :laughing9: It will!
 
Everyone that started detecting in the last 20 years started off by finding clad then wheaties. Congrats on your treasure. The old stuff will come then it will start coming more often. When I first started detecting it seemed like it took forever to find a silver coin. Then I started finding one ever few trips out...now it is almost ever hunt and sometimes multiples in one hunt.

Good luck and happy hunting.

NJ
 
Roland58 said:
After looking through the other posts in "Today's Finds", I just thought I had a good day. I found my first two wheaties, neither of which are as old as I am. Spent about 5 1/2 hours in a little park that I found......it is a block long and about 300' wide. I only made four round trips going the "block" direction. It took all that time because I was digging foil and hoping for something better, but, just found foil. I did find 53 pennies (yeah, I dig zinc), 17 nickels, 11 dimes and 7 quarters amongst the foil and tabs. I've only been at this for about two months and have enjoyed every second, although, getting down, digging and getting back up a hundred times takes its' toll on this ol' body. As I was rubbing the dirt off of one of the nickels I saw a buffalo and thought, "Wow! A buffalo nickel!!" But, nay, it was a 2005 with George on the front.....that just ain't right!

I'm really happy for all you folks finding silver, gold and 16th century coins.......I really am. But, I still feel pretty good about my first two wheaties!

I am happy finding wheats nothing wrong with that... I don't find silver every time I go out... and most times I do its just one ore two if I'm lucky... 17 nickels... I'd be happy with that... all that clad adds up it is how it pays for our hobby... don't forget to save your copper, brass, lead, aluminum and iron it all can be recycled and it helps pay for our hobby too!

Good Job Keep at it!

Chukers
 
If I found 80 coins in 5.5 hours, I'd be VERY happy. But I'm just as happy you were pulling 'em up, too.
 
You DID have a good day detecting, any day is a good day detecting.
Just don't get too masochistic by comparing your finds to others.
Especially the English.
Or recently, anyone on the East Coast.
Four trips to Leadville CO, and I dug a penny, albeit my nicest Indian Cent, but a penny nonetheless.
Carl
 
Hi Roland. Wheaties are awesome. I'm Canadian, so when I find one it's very special. We see American coinage up here in Canada, of course, but it's not really that common. When I was a kid we used to show off our Mercs and Wheaties to the other kids. It was a sign of prestige. Keep it up and happy hunting. :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: I DID have a good day........

Yesterday I posted that I just "thought" I had a good day and many of you were very kind in reassuring me that it wasn't fair to compare my finds with people fortunate enough to hunt on the east coast or, better yet, in Great Britain. But, today was a 'good day!'

I went back to the same little park and hit the baseball fields across the street. To make this short, I had less than an hour to hunt and I found 5 quarters, 3 dimes, 5 nickels and 5 pennies. Oh yeah, and a big, honkin', men's sterling ring with an sapphire set!! It is marked .925 inside along with an odd symbol next to the numbers. I don't know if it is truly an sapphire, but, it is a beautiful, faceted, blue stone! :happy2: My camera is not at home, I'll post some pics when it returns with my wife <g>.

Next week will mark my two month anniversary of MD'ing.........I'm loving this hobby!!!
 
You see if you put in the time hunting good things will happen.
Look forward to seeing the silver :hello:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom