I know nothing

miamidave

Aug 23, 2008
hollywood
Detector(s) used
recon pro
Hi Ive never been detecting before but am recovering from a wreck last year and need to get out and move around sooooo I bought a cheap detector on ebay tonight and figure I would get a few tips before it gets here.
The main questions are
#1 is an explorer HP-1016 worth the trouble ( I only gave $30 for it)
#2 is it legal to just walk down the beach with it?(I live in Miami Gardens Fl.)
#3 Ive dropped change myself at bus stops is it ok to detect at them or is it considered private property?
#any one got any advice for me?
Thanks hope to hear from some of you
David

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Miamidave,

Read through old posts here and in the Beach and Shallow Water sections. All of your questions are answered there with lots of great information,tips, tricks and pitfalls.

But basically, yes, you can walk down the beach in Miami and use your detector. Good luck and remember to fill your holes!

Around the bus stop should be okay, unless your city/county has an ordinance against it, which I doubt.

I've never used your type of detector, perhaps someone has evaluated it, check that thread as well. (metal detector reviews)

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
If this is the detector you got $30 is a great price, I think they are normally $60-70:

http://onemetaldetector.com/hp1016.htm

Beach:
Stick to the dry sand, you can try the wet but it will probably drive the detector nuts. Also get a beach scoop for the beach.

I prefer the beach as it is very easy to dig.

Not sure about bus stops, you may have to check with local laws.

Overeasy

May 7, 2008
Search the forum and ye will find. (and anybody who knows nothing is a friend of mine 'cause I know next to nothing) :icon_scratch:

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
I frequently work the dry sand here, but don't mind a little "competition" as there are miles of beaches. So here's tips:

1. Go where the people are. People = money & rings.
2. Go out near sunset, people leave & sunstroke is prevented.
3. Try to find somewhere you can park for free.
4. Check beach entries & near trash cans.
5. Silver rings are loud, but gold rings are only as strong as a nickle.
6. You will dig a lot of pop tops if you are looking for gold rings.
7. The sand scoop is the world's greatest invention.

Chip V.

OP
OP
M

miamidave

Aug 23, 2008
hollywood
Detector(s) used
recon pro
thanks for the tips folks my detector should be here friday and then I can see how it works(if I can figure it out)

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
Dave the only advice i have to offer that hasn't already been mentioned is check around payphones. I always hit the payphones on or near the beach and always come out with at least $40.00 and most times way more , refill wholes and try to clean an area don't just chuck the stuff you don't want back into the sand for some other poor guy or girl to weed out again...happy hunting

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason near the towel line and the garbage cans are good for dry hunting. I never believed in the garbage cans until recently. A friend and I hit one beach. I avoided the garbage cans he headed there. With me watching he found a nice gold ring not even 2 feet from the garbage can....lucky

Just remember the stuff is where ever people have been. Search and thou shall find treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread