What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED I know what this is, but want an approximate age and possibly a relative value

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY ONLY MACHINES
Joined
Nov 17, 2004
Messages
4,939
Reaction score
4,609
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please forgive me if I have posted this before, I don't remember if I did or not, at 62 I'm starting to slip..
This is a handheld SUNDIAL, dug on a beach in Spain 30 years ago. still in my collection and probably a Museum piece.
But I don't recall listing it here, or having an age range or possible value. THIS HAS NO MARKINGS on it that I have ever been able to find.... Glass is full of air-bubbles.. possibly dating it.. ?It is threaded and unscrews
IF I HAVE PLEASE FORGIVE ME !! and point me to my previous post ...
Thanks in advance..
 

Attachments

  • sundial 1.webp
    sundial 1.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 143
  • sundial 2.webp
    sundial 2.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 114
  • sundial 3.webp
    sundial 3.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 117
  • sundial 4.webp
    sundial 4.webp
    16 KB · Views: 110
  • sundial 5.webp
    sundial 5.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 114
  • sundial 6.webp
    sundial 6.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 131
  • sundial 7.webp
    sundial 7.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 123
  • sundial 8.webp
    sundial 8.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 120
  • sundial 9.webp
    sundial 9.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 112
  • sundial 10.webp
    sundial 10.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 120
Cool find. Can't help with the history but thanks for sharing.
 
Upvote 0
The first “pocket watch”. To make it work you would need to know where due south is. How could you determine that in a remote area? Does the device also have a compass? I might be wrong as I’ve never played with sundials.
 
Upvote 0
The first “pocket watch”. To make it work you would need to know where due south is. How could you determine that in a remote area? Does the device also have a compass? I might be wrong as I’ve never played with sundials.
Honestly I don't know, only that I dug it on a beach in Spain after some heavy storms, it was one of those odd things that you never even consider digging....
Plus these pictures are old, they were taken years ago, but I have this sitting in front of me, maybe some better pictures would help someone figure it out ...
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a sundial compass to me, but I'm not sure.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a sundial compass to me, but I'm not sure.
Yes that’s what it is but I’m trying to determine age, and value 🤷🏼‍♂️
 
Upvote 0
Older posts with better pictures of the sundial in question.


 
Upvote 0
I don't think it has monetary value. Pristine items sell for $20 to $100 - https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?query=antique+brass+pocket+sundial&categories=

I personally think the age is 1880 to 1910. I would have expected a compass at the bottom? Is that the source of the broken glass?

Well, if you scan through worthpoint items, you will see a lot of people claiming 1700's for your type. Still, pristine is only getting $125 or so even when they claim 18th century, so again, very little monetary value for a dug version.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first “pocket watch”. To make it work you would need to know where due south is. How could you determine that in a remote area? Does the device also have a compass? I might be wrong as I’ve never played with sundials.
I think there are actually 2 compartment, top was the sundial and bottom was the compass, I don’t have a picture of the compass part but you can see the line where it comes apart
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I don't think it has monetary value. Pristine items sell for $20 to $100 - https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?query=antique+brass+pocket+sundial&categories=

I personally think the age is 1880 to 1910. I would have expected a compass at the bottom? Is that the source of the broken glass?

Well, if you scan through worthpoint items, you will see a lot of people claiming 1700's for your type. Still, pristine is only getting $125 or so even when they claim 18th century, so again, very little monetary value for a dug version.
I think there is or was actually a compass, there seems to be two different parts
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom