I liked the old Treasurenet this is crap

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Top Banner Poster
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, adding this feature is on the to-do list.

So maybe this is answered on another thread, maybe not, but is/will there be a way to embed youtube videos like before? I can always just put in a hyperlink but an embedding seems nice to have. Also, past embedded videos currently don't show.

HangnMoss

Greenie
Mar 13, 2012
Dunlap, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will the forum be accessible via Tapatalk again? That's where I first found this forum, and checked it multiple times daily from my phone.

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Top Banner Poster
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are actually working on having a custom app designed for the forum that will run on Android, Android Tablets, iPhone and the iPad. We hope to have this ready to go within 2 weeks.

Will the forum be accessible via Tapatalk again? That's where I first found this forum, and checked it multiple times daily from my phone.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does the little quote, at the end of a post, need to be so big? I find myself reading it as if its part of the post, so just wasting my time! Its very annoying!

Also if you want to stream line the site a bit, you could leave out the HAPPY BIRTHDAY greetings. I think most of us on here are old enough to not have birthdays anymore. If it was a kids site, that might be different, although in ways, we are all kids, digging in the sand box.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I won't bail completely. But I also won't visit nearly as often either.....

As best I can tell (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the "My posts" bit sorts by the most recent date I posted to a thread, not by the most recently posted-to threads...........

Makes it hard to follow the most recent / current / active threads I was interested in & following...................

THAT sucks !

Never-mind - I think I found it under "subscribed posts" (just most of them aren't there..................)

Diggem'

Last edited:

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I'm totally befuddled. Are all the topics and subtopics from the previous board available on this one? I'm sure gonna miss a lot of them if they are not. I can't find squat on this yet.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we should give the new owners time to work things out. Eventually everything will come together. Like maybe I'll get my old account back (Michigan Badger). :)

I hope you do get your account bac MB. You have been on here for a long time--perhaps one of the first on the forum.

I am trying to figure out if I can tell when someone replied to a thread I replied to or not. :( And I went in search of some of my old posts and found...that they were missing half of their photos. :( Looks like it would take hours to re-upload those. And I'd rather be digging than doing that...so I guess folks will just have to see a big red "X" instead of the excellent photos I took the time to make, crop, and upload to this forum. :( Some of the changes I do like. There was certainly a learning curve tonight for me to make a finds post, but that's no big deal.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I can get used to this change, but hope it doesnt take too long. I have always hated going to my favorite super market, and find that everything has been changed around, for what reason, I dont know. Maybe the customers complained that they couldnt find a product, or they had to make room for more products, but sometimes change is made only for change, and customers start to fade away.

Every freaking time!
Carl

HangnMoss

Greenie
Mar 13, 2012
Dunlap, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are actually working on having a custom app designed for the forum that will run on Android, Android Tablets, iPhone and the iPad. We hope to have this ready to go within 2 weeks.

No thanks on the custom app. This phone is my mobile office and I already have enough apps installed. The few recreational apps I have installed fought hard for that right. The reason Tapatalk is so popular is because it allows access to thousands of forums from one app. Two of my old favorites went the 'custom app' route. I stopped visiting during the day, and eventually stopped going completely. Why? Because I eventually forgot about them. I only sit down in front of my PC to do those rare things I can't on my phone.

Mobile storage should still be considered 'premium real estate'. If your app isn't ground-breaking in some way, then choosing to compete against an already established app that works for multiple sites, is a poor decision. You also lose exposure by going the custom app route. As stated in an earlier post, I found TNet on Tapatalk. I'm also a member on a couple other metal detecting forums. I looked for their forums in Tapatalk, and they weren't there. But TNet was, along with one other site (that wasn't location-specific). Care to guess where I've only been a few times since finding TNet on Tapatalk?

Regardless of content, accessibility and usability make or break a site (in that order). I can adapt to any menu, any layout, but I won't install a single-use or single-purpose app. Why did I install an Office app? Because it works with almost every Office document. Why did I install Tapatalk? Because it works with almost every forum.

That being said, I currently have a Rezound. I finally have tons of space, but after owning many earlier Android phones, I have learned to be stingy with that space. Most Android users have, and it will likely remain that way. Mainstream apps are still growing in size to include support Android 4.0, meaning that my free space, no matter how large, is still shrinking faster than I would like.

I can't understand the logic behind using a canned forum, and then choosing not to use a canned mobile app, especially one that's so widely accepted and free to install (at least for the forum owner).

Last edited:

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac
I liked the old site because it was easy to use and easy to browse, I never went to my treasure spot because It was difficult to browse thru, I honestly think this new setup will destroy this forum unless something is done.

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
Top Banner Poster
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The app we are having built for TreasureNet is made by Forum Runner. It's very similar to TapaTalk, but I believe it's better and the company offers much better support then TapaTalk does. It will also be a free download for all users while TapaTalk is a paid app and does not offer a free version anymore.

With that said, we can also add support for TapaTalk for users that have already own the app. I'll get that on the to-do list and see if we can get that going shortly!

I've been involved with Android since the early days of the Droid1. It's come a very long way! The Rezound is a nice phone.

EDIT: Tapatalk is installed, please see this post for more details: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...88816-tapatalk-support-added.html#post2731452

No thanks on the custom app. This phone is my mobile office and I already have enough apps installed. The few recreational apps I have installed fought hard for that right. The reason Tapatalk is so popular is because it allows access to thousands of forums from one app. Two of my old favorites went the 'custom app' route. I stopped visiting during the day, and eventually stopped going completely. Why? Because I eventually forgot about them. I only sit down in front of my PC to do those rare things I can't on my phone.

Mobile storage should still be considered 'premium real estate'. If your app isn't ground-breaking in some way, then choosing to compete against an already established app that works for multiple sites, is a poor decision. You also lose exposure by going the custom app route. As stated in an earlier post, I found TNet on Tapatalk. I'm also a member on a couple other metal detecting forums. I looked for their forums in Tapatalk, and they weren't there. But TNet was, along with one other site (that wasn't location-specific). Care to guess where I've only been a few times since finding TNet on Tapatalk?

Regardless of content, accessibility and usability make or break a site (in that order). I can adapt to any menu, any layout, but I won't install a single-use or single-purpose app. Why did I install an Office app? Because it works with almost every Office document. Why did I install Tapatalk? Because it works with almost every forum.

That being said, I currently have a Rezound. I finally have tons of space, but after owning many earlier Android phones, I have learned to be stingy with that space. Most Android users have, and it will likely remain that way. Mainstream apps are still growing in size to include support Android 4.0, meaning that my free space, no matter how large, is still shrinking faster than I would like.

I can't understand the logic behind using a canned forum, and then choosing not to use a canned mobile app, especially one that's so widely accepted and free to install (at least for the forum owner).

HangnMoss

Greenie
Mar 13, 2012
Dunlap, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for enabling Tapatalk! Definite improvement with vBulletin on the backend.

ForumRunner makes sense though, since they were acquired by IB. I didn't like the ForumRunner interface as well, but I'll switch to it, just to make sure you guys get the additional ad revenue. I hope I can use the standard paid app to access it - still not a fan of custom apps. I didn't see TreasureNet listed yet on ForumRunner, though.

And for those that don't read instructions (like me), connect to TreasureNet.com, not TreasureNet (that's the old site) on Tapatalk.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for enabling Tapatalk! Definite improvement with vBulletin on the backend.

ForumRunner makes sense though, since they were acquired by IB. I didn't like the ForumRunner interface as well, but I'll switch to it, just to make sure you guys get the additional ad revenue. I hope I can use the standard paid app to access it - still not a fan of custom apps. I didn't see TreasureNet listed yet on ForumRunner, though.

And for those that don't read instructions (like me), connect to TreasureNet.com, not TreasureNet (that's the old site) on Tapatalk.

We don't make ad revenue on the custom apps because it doesn't display ads. It's just a good service to provide to the community. The standard TapaTalk app works great with the site...

The main reason we prefer to use the ForumRunner app is that we can give it away to our members so they don't have to pay to buy the app.

It will take them a couple of weeks to build the custom app.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys just wanted to post in here that I saw quite a few suggestions of things we can improve and fix.

We are going to be adding the Metal Detectors your using back in.
We are looking at why some users are unable to stay logged in.
We will improve the ability to see who started the thread on both the thread listing page, as well as on the thread display page where there will be an [OP] next to the username of the person who started the thread (original poster).

We are making changes. But this new software has been running for less then 24 hours. Give us some time guys... we'll get there.

All of these changes have been done.

The Original Poster is an orange graphic that says 'Thread Starter' .

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys just wanted to post in here that I saw quite a few suggestions of things we can improve and fix.

We are going to be adding the Metal Detectors your using back in.
We are looking at why some users are unable to stay logged in.
We will improve the ability to see who started the thread on both the thread listing page, as well as on the thread display page where there will be an [OP] next to the username of the person who started the thread (original poster).

We are making changes. But this new software has been running for less then 24 hours. Give us some time guys... we'll get there.

All of these changes have been done.

The Original Poster is an orange graphic that says 'Thread Starter' .
Sorting some of the popular features should be done first.....LIKE BANNER FINDS I had 10, but only one shows :thumb_down:

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorting some of the popular features should be done first.....LIKE BANNER FINDS I had 10, but only one shows :thumb_down:

I can have Kris pull a database search and send me a list or if you send me a list I can get them right away. I'd be happy to do it for you Silver Searcher, just send me a PM with links to the banner finds that are yours and I'll get them in there.

I do think however that fixing problems that affect the entire forum take precedent over updating the individual banner finds list. However, both need to be done.

Edit: Silver Searcher, I was able to find your links and get it updated. I believe they are all there now.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the main frustrations I'm having has to do with the appearance. I know in the past, if I had 10 mins. or less to browse/surf the net (a break from work,) I could pop into TNet check the latest banner, see the latest What Is Its and Latest Finds etc. Now it takes me just about 10 mins. to know where I'm going and what I'm doing if I want to check my PM's or my latest post. It's like moving Helen Keller's furniture and putting it in a different place. I'm sure the longer I stay, the more familiar I will be with the site, but I really don't have the time, nor inclination to do it, so I'm spending waaaaay less time on TNet. I wish there was a way for you to have the new software, yet have TNet to look like it used to look. Breezie

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the main frustrations I'm having has to do with the appearance. I know in the past, if I had 10 mins. or less to browse/surf the net (a break from work,) I could pop into TNet check the latest banner, see the latest What Is Its and Latest Finds etc. Now it takes me just about 10 mins. to know where I'm going and what I'm doing if I want to check my PM's or my latest post. It's like moving Helen Keller's furniture and putting it in a different place. I'm sure the longer I stay, the more familiar I will be with the site, but I really don't have the time, nor inclination to do it, so I'm spending waaaaay less time on TNet. I wish there was a way for you to have the new software, yet have TNet to look like it used to look. Breezie

I wish there was a way for us to do that as well. THere is not. We are doing everything in our power to get it as close as possible with the limitations that the software gives us.

I'm curious why it's so much more difficult to get to the sections you want though. Why not go into the forum you like looking at and create a bookmark to it in your browser. Then you can jump directly to that forum in 2 seconds. Bookmark the forums you like jumping to.

TO jump to your private messages, simply click on the "Notifications" button up top... a menu will pop open and your Inbox will be listed there if you have unread PM's. If not, you can just click Notifications and it will take you to your inbox with all your old PM's there.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I wish there was a way for us to do that as well. THere is not. We are doing everything in our power to get it as close as possible with the limitations that the software gives us.

I'm curious why it's so much more difficult to get to the sections you want though. Why not go into the forum you like looking at and create a bookmark to it in your browser. Then you can jump directly to that forum in 2 seconds. Bookmark the forums you like jumping to.

TO jump to your private messages, simply click on the "Notifications" button up top... a menu will pop open and your Inbox will be listed there if you have unread PM's. If not, you can just click Notifications and it will take you to your inbox with all your old PM's there.

Thank you for your speedy reply. I'm not having a problem finding my 2 fav Forums, so I don't need a bookmark. The point I was making is because it 'looks' different, it takes more time to find various places. It's no different than going to the grocery store to find they have moved the cereal to another isle. I can find the cereal, but it was more convenient to walk directly to where it use to be. Another example, as I'm typing this message, I have about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of space. If I type a long post, I have to scroll upward to see what I have typed and because I have my screen res. set to 800x600, I also have to use the slide bar at the bottom to see both sides of the sentence. This software change is not a do or die situation, it's just inconvenient. Habit is stronger than reason. Cover the face of your clock and see how many times in 12 hours you at the clock to see what time it is even though you know you have covered it. From my studies, I know it takes 21 days to break a habit, and another 21 days to replace it, so hopefully in a month or so, everyone will have learned whereabouts of the site. Regards, Breezie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread