What's new

I LIVED UP TO MY TREASURENET NAME TODAY.

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,


I went out Solo again today. Last time I was near this site, I found a barn site in an adjoining field (dug a Large Cent there). I was still waiting for the beans to be cut on this spot--but today as I drove by--I saw that they were harvested. :thumbsup:

Site.webp


Since I have standing permission from the kind farmer that owns this land, I checked in with him this afternoon and began swinging. :) I got up on a little ridge expecting the house to be there--and I did find an iron patch. After a bunch of pieces of junk iron, broken tools, and a door hinge or two, I got a decent signal and was happy to see this:

IH in Dirt.webp

It is a "Fatty" Indian Head Cent frozen in time.

IH in Dirt1.webp


I kept pounding the iron patch on the ridge with diminishing returns--and I kept thinking all the while "Where are the buttons?" "Where are the Suspender Clips?" "Harmonica Reed Plate, Anyone?" "Toe Taps?" :icon_scratch: There wasn't even any broken brick or pottery. :stop:

But there were rivets, horseshoes, and a bridle buckle. :P Yep. That's it. I'd just spent two hours and a half hunting yet another barn site. (That's fine by me--I've dug some great things at barns. I just wish they'd buried a little tag at each one of them that said "Barn was Here" so that I'd know... :wink:)

So I stood on the ridge and looked around, turning slowly around until I'd gone the full 360 degrees. I decided to walk on downhill a little bit towards a spot near where what looked like a dry branch ran through. And as I walked in that direction, the iron got less...and less... until there wasn't any chatter from my machine.

And then lo and behold, the iron started getting thicker again! I started digging brass bits, melted lead, two round lead balls, pewter spoon pieces, an oil lantern top, and other items. I was back in business. ;D (Plus, there were tiny bits of broken brick and stoneware scattered around.) 8) I'd found the housesite. :thumbsup:

I started to work this one hard--taking no prisoners. The sun was getting lower, and I wanted to get a darned good idea of what was there before dark. More bits of lead came up. Then I got a good signal and was stoked to see a .69 cal minieball come tumbling out of the hole.

Minieball in Dirt.webp

Minieball in Dirt1.webp

Minieball in Hand.webp


BIG lead like that will Make Your Week--but the best was yet to come.


My next find was a rolled up piece of brass. Cleaning later revealed that the piece was a bayonet scabbard tip. It is a little over 2.5 inches in length, and it has two small nail holes at the larger end where the piece was secured to the leather scabbard. The finial is absent. (You can see this relic in the last photo in my post--to the left of the Indian Head Cent.)

I went on pick up what I thought was a newer button--until cleaning later revealed the backmark "BENEDICT & COE/EXTRA RICH" (1829-1834). I got two pieces of suspender clips--just another bit of confirmation that I was on the site of the house--and then I got one of those "deep, but good" signals. (Fellow 1266 users will understand what a brass beep sounds like on a larger object that is a foot down :wink: )

The fifth or sixth scoop of dirt revealed my prize find for the day--one of the keepers from a Snake Buckle!

Here's a photo of it after I got it home:

Keeper.webp

And a photo of one which sold online recently (http://www.horsesoldier.com/catalog/c0087.html). I posted the photo below, but on the website, the snake buckle is a little over halfway down on the page.

dug snake buckle.webp

(Here's another link--a non-dug one, with original belt: http://southgeorgiarelic.org/snake.htm)

And here are the before/after photos. The IH is an 1862. If anyone has any idea what the mushroom shaped, flat, brass piece is in the top right of the first photo (bottom middle of the second photo), please help me out.


Finds Uncleaned.webp

Finds ALL.webp

Finds Minie and Brass.webp

Finds IH.webp



Best Wishes,



Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
Re: TODAY I LIVED UP TO MY TREASURENET NAME.

Great finds! nicely done! :thumbsup:

(i so gotta get a MD) :wink:
 
Re: TODAY I LIVED UP TO MY TREASURENET NAME.

That's so cool. I have no idea where to start. It all looks like a bunch of junk to me.
 
Re: TODAY I LIVED UP TO MY TREASURENET NAME.

Blacksheep said:
Great finds! nicely done! :thumbsup:

(i so gotta get a MD) :wink:

You can't do that! Then we'd miss your ID abilities in the "What is it?" threads. :'(
 
Re: TODAY I LIVED UP TO MY TREASURENET NAME.

1996 said:
That's so cool. I have no idea where to start. It all looks like a bunch of junk to me.

That's why you've gotta learn to ID your junk--so you don't throw away a several-hundred-dollar find!
 
Re: TODAY I LIVED UP TO MY TREASURENET NAME.

Nice assortment Buckleboy :thumbsup: It's an education to hear how you work out the 'lay of the land'.

The mystery piece is a bit small in the pics to really make much of it. Is the nick in the edge part of the device or a missing chip? Reminds me of an arrow head or a clay modelling spatula :icon_scratch:

Mike
 
Re: TODAY I LIVED UP TO MY TREASURENET NAME.

trikikiwi said:
Nice assortment Buckleboy :thumbsup: It's an education to hear how you work out the 'lay of the land'.

The mystery piece is a bit small in the pics to really make much of it. Is the nick in the edge part of the device or a missing chip? Reminds me of an arrow head or a clay modelling spatula :icon_scratch:

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your kind reply. The piece was roughly "arrowhead-shaped." The bottom (at this point, I guess we could call it the "shaft") is broken. The point at the top of it is broken off too (if there was a point.) The rest is rounded, and the piece is not sharp except where it is broken.


Picture 012a.webp
 
Re: TODAY I LIVED UP TO MY TREASURENET NAME.

Very nice bean field finds. Congrats........ :thumbsup:
 
Looks like a " thumb knob " like for turning into or out of something, raising or lowering something. I don't really know, just my two cents worth......NGE (T)
 
Nice digs.... keep pounding it... that snake HAS to be there..... ;-)

MB
 
BB,
Great finds. That piece looks like a broken key to me.
Joe
 
Congrats on the nice finds, especially the possible finding of the homesite :icon_thumleft: The belt keep is real nice, the .69 is a big piece of lead. I bet you can't wait to go back, good luck there.
Glenn
 
Buckleboy, Way to go buddy...Great Finds, Great story and Great pictures. I love the buckle, That's one I have on my list that I haven't found yet. I hope your next trip back there you find the snake. Again congratulations!!! TCooper
 
Congrats :thumbsup:
I understand what you mean by doing the 360 in the field.Worked a field yesterday for about three hours
NOTHING!Was working highest point.Finally stopped and took another visual of field.Headed towards
lowest part a back near wood line.Surprise!the closer I got,I started finding pottery,glass,clay pipes,bottles.I knew I had found the spot. :icon_sunny:Found SC palmetto tree button.Minnie balls ,musket balls,English shoe buckles
Flat buttons and the usual iron stuff.Talked to the farmer last night,and sure enough,when the land was cleared many moons ago,the old home debris was pushed to the edge of woodline.Always say I am gonna walk around field first and scope it out,but get to excited and have to start detecting as soon as I get there :tongue3:
Congrats again ;D
 
It looks like you guys are not finished with that spot yet. Maybe you will find the rest of the snake buckle. They are such a wonderful find. I am pulling for you to get the rest. Way to go.
 
Nice variety BB....while your looking for the snake,might as well keep your ear's peeled for the finial.Great looking IH too :thumbsup: Sorry no ID on the brass piece.My kinda hunting.....Congrat's to Ya!!!!
 
Nice bunch of stuff.

I have many snakes of different types but no keepers :icon_scratch:
 
Way to go on the snake buckle I found 2 of the same piece you have with in 100 feet of each other and still go back looking for that dang snake part everytime to go to that farm .

Great finds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hutch
 
Awesome story BB :thumbsup:And some super finds :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Congrats ;D

G1
 
It's Awesome to see your hunts,you study and area, put in the research and than put yourself back in time to see where you would be during the war and than come home with the relics you deserve.
Kentucky is a great place to hunt and I really enjoy hearing of the success.

Nova Treasure
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom