I may start a new metal detector company....

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
I wouild be marketing my detector to the many many people who claim they dont care about finding valuables with their detectors and only do it for exercise. My marketing gimmick/slogan for my company would be something like this :

" I guarantee our detectors wont find ANYTHING of monetary value but they will find rusty nails and bottle caps and it will provide good exercise for those who purchase my brand of detector....purchase price..only $199.99 "

I wonder how long my company would last and how many detectors I would sell to those who claim they only do this hobby for exercise and to get out into the sunshine and fresh air ?

Anyone wanna be a part of my new proposed company...get in now at the " ground floor " level ;D ;D :D ;)

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
why bs the boards with a thread like that? Honestly some of the guys who do this are retired, there older they love the hobbie this gets them outside to were they can use this for fun to exercise to stay healthy. its the thrill of maybe finding something of value, even if all these companies gurantee you can find, gold, silver, coins or what not dont mean you will find the one worth the big money. so are we wasting our time trying? i think alot of us realize that there is a small possibility to find something big but most of us realize that we wont be that person but we enjoy doing it for fellowship, exercise its a an excuse to get out of the house, and for fun.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
CSOhio said:
why bs the boards with a thread like that? Honestly some of the guys who do this are retired, there older they love the hobbie this gets them outside to were they can use this for fun to exercise to stay healthy. its the thrill of maybe finding something of value, even if all these companies gurantee you can find, gold, silver, coins or what not dont mean you will find the one worth the big money. so are we wasting our time trying? i think alot of us realize that there is a small possibility to find something big but most of us realize that we wont be that person but we enjoy doing it for fellowship, exercise its a an excuse to get out of the house, and for fun.

I have a question then...if you find this thread to be " B.S" ..why would you be the 1st to reply ? Think about it ::) ::)

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
You've got about three threads on this going now.How long you going to milk it? Believe me,we are very aware of your 'very common,sense'.Use some of it and be a little more productive and interesting.Enjoy the hobby for whatever it does or doesn't do for you as the rest of us do.Be excited about your finds and please post them for all to enjoy.Sorry that CSOhio was first.

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
i posted on this thread cause i saw you say the same things on the other thread about people not doing this for exercise. your trying to second guess why people do things and what there reasons are. everybody has there own reasons. of course we hope to find something valuable but we all wont. doesnt mean we dont get more out of it than hoping to find that one item that is worth alot.

all im saying you starting a second post about that after you talked about it in the other post seems like your trying to get things started is all.

everybody has there reasons let them have them.

happy hunting

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
You're trying to tell everyone why they do this. Fact is alot of people do it for fun. I just like to discover things, and collect things. Granted a lot of the things I collect are junk, but hey, each there own. I make plenty of money with my work, this is for fun and it gives me another hobby to occupy my time and gives me and the wife another thing to do together. So im sorry for egging you on, though it was fun, the dead horse has been beaten way too much. Have a good one :)
And I do wish you luck and hope you find some good stuff.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007

And I do wish you luck and hope you find some good stuff.

end quote..

appreciated..and even if I dont find anyhting with my detector, I expect to be getting alot of valuable goodies from people on this forum who dont care about such things and only do the hobby for exercise . Thats not expecting to much, is it ;) ;)..ecpespeically if im paying postage costs

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
warsawdaddy said:
You've got about three threads on this going now.How long you going to milk it? Believe me,we are very aware of your 'very common,sense'.Use some of it and be a little more productive and interesting.Enjoy the hobby for whatever it does or doesn't do for you as the rest of us do.Be excited about your finds and please post them for all to enjoy.Sorry that CSOhio was first.

I think I only started 2 threads about the subject...is that really such a crime ?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I wouldn't buy one.

Now - if you sold one that advertised you can keep all the class rings without returning them... that I might buy. LMAO :D

Remember... it's called Treasure Detecting or Metal Detecting... not Treasure Digging!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I'm sorry, in the year or so I've been here I can't recall anybody saying they do this strictly for exercise. Pretty much everybody does this to find stuff, so you're posts don't make a lick of sense to me.....

What am I missing?

Did you get into an argument with someone? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Somebody pee in your Cheerios? What? :)

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
Jeffro said:
I'm sorry, in the year or so I've been here I can't recall anybody saying they do this strictly for exercise. Pretty much everybody does this to find stuff, so you're posts don't make a lick of sense to me.....

What am I missing?

Did you get into an argument with someone? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Somebody pee in your Cheerios? What? :)

close...someone pee"d in my bed and I woke up on the wrong side of my Cheeerios
;D

no arguments really...just some people have implyed how they do this hobby for the exercise aspects and that the chance of finding valuables or items with monetary value dont mean anything to them. When I see statements that come across as being absoulote B.S or insincere, I have a bad habit of pointing it out.....

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
i dont think anybody said they dont like to think they might find something valuable, i think alot of people said if they do that is great but they still love the hobbie and that is not the only reason they do it. some of it being outside fresh air, exercise, friendship and that heart racing feel when you do find something of value.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
csohio...you evidnetly have not been following the other threads to closely...let me give you a quote from 1 poster in particular { I wont mention his user name}

quote :

ummm. scuse my newbieness, but isn't the whole point of a hobby not to make money,

end quote :

im sure I could go and find other examples from some of the posters on this forum..but Im not gonna filter thru all those posts.

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
well the user does kind of have a point there, i mean that is like go kart racing its a hobbie i spent thousands and i won trophies i never thought to get my money back, not even when i sold my karts did i make close to what i had in it. but i met alot of people, had fun, memories and did pretty good. got out of it more so cause i couldnt afford it. that is what i call a hobby something you do for fun not so much to make money on. but then metal detecting is a hobby with a big difference you couild get lucky and find something of big money but i dont think we can count on that is all im saying so there are other great reasons to do it than to just find something of value.

if you did it for 30 years and never found anything of value, but you were healthy from the exercise, met many a person off here and made friendships, had the time of your life and thrills of finding something or knowing something could be of value but you didnt make alot of money back in clad, it doesnt mean you wasted your time those memories are priceless.

there are alot of reasons to get into one hobby one doesnt necassarily do it to make money. that is a nice option to have if you can do that and enjoy it.

im done with this im just adding fuel to the fire good luck with your business.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
your go cart was not made to find items of value such as coins, gold,silver,jewerly,etc...

comparing a hobby such as go carting to a hobby such as metal detecting may not be a good comparison..

metal detectors are made and marketed with the idea that the peopel who purchase the may be able to find valuable items.

Im not aware of any company making metal detecting go carts that advertise its users could find valuables such as gold or silver by riding inside the go cart ::) ::)

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Your point is well taken by all of us I think...

Truth be told almost everyone here prolly just enjoys the "hunt" reguardless of the results.

But I'm sure we all have that dream of a big find!

You want to read about treasure? The CRH'rs are pretty serious about silver, the wreck divers will keep you reading forever... now THEY want to FIND GOLD! :) Some folks are happy just taking pictures... and it's all treasure, adventure, and a kindred spirit... 'cept for mini-me who likes recipies more than gold! And some of those are priceless... A while back about 20 people were only here to tell lies... that was kinda cool.

Treasure to me is a brass acorn and seeing what Modern Miner finds.

There really is something here for everyone... I know you know that, I just wanted to say it anyway. 8)

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
I've only been visiting this forum for a couple of months. Got my first MD about three weeks ago. Only been out with it twice, but I've been having a blast learning about this new hobby. Thanks to all who have been so generously willing to share their time and experiences on this forum.
Of course, I can understand when someone makes the statement that they do this for the exercise, fresh air, comraderie, etc... that they may not be commenting on all the reasons that they love this hobby, and for me, the idea that we might find something valuable is a given.
Personally, I wouldn't be interested in a MD that promised to never find anything valuable, so... yeah... good luck with your new company. ::)

rumme -
if you are truly interested in the opinions of your fellow TN'ers, instead of just stirring up controversy, or trying to make a point about semantics, I posted a reply to you on the thread about "Who admits they want to find..." Oh, no, wait - that wasn't it. It was the one about "Thoughts on how long it takes to pay for MD" or something like that. I've enjoyed some of your other posts, so I hope you forget to eat that extra bowl of 'cranky' tomorrow. ;) Best of luck and Hh-
Kilika

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
If I came across as being " cranky" I apologize...It isnt that at all, . Like I mentioned earlier, I have a bad habit of pointing out what I perceicve to be insincerity or B.S.

People who are spending significant amounts of money to purchase a product that is advertised mainly as being a product that may find its owners something of monetary value { a metal detector} cannot be fairly compared to other hobbies where finding/acquiring valuables is not part of the " game" .

It sounds so " pleasant" to hear people say they really only do metal detecting for the fresh air, or exercise, but IMHO, , its human nature to look forward to and want to find something of value beneath that dirt and in them holes being dug and for people to deny thats the case, comes across as being very phony IMHO...

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Treasure ?? I can find TREASURE ?!?!???!!!??! I will give it, I love digging the cool old junk, and I REALLY like the coins(I collect), the exercise is nice, BUT, I am going to keep trying for permission on a property that is rumored to have $250,000 buried on it. If I can retire because of a MD find, yer dern tootin' I will. If I can get a lead to find a cache that will allow me to retire, I am going to try to find it. If I find it, I will still beat the crap out of my cortez as much as possible. I love the outdoors, and have lived there as much as I am capable in my life, yes, any excuse to be outside. If you only have one reason to walk around with a sore shoulder, look like a geek, and have random strangers toss pennies at you; you probably won't be doing this for long.

I will concede that it is called metal DETECTING. But you also have to note that many call it TREASURE hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread