I need good gloves...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While detecting I wear a pair of leather gloves that I purchased from Home Depot. The are not too thick and feel good but I've worn through two pairs so far and at $10 a pair I don't want to keep buying them. Has anyone found a good pair of gloves that they like and that does not wear out too quickly???

By the way, since I wore through the last pair I decided not to wear them and on the first hunt I found a nice piece of glass that had me bleeding all over the place which ended the hunt early.

NJ

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Purchased a Pair of Latex Coated
Wells Lamont Gloves.
(They Won't fit
If you Put Latex Gloves Under them :wink: )

I Believe at wallmart.

The Palms are Rough.
And Fit like a glove should

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Lawn+&+Garden+Care&sbf=Brand&sbv=Wells+Lamont

great for glass, but
unfortunately I rarely wear them
just sliced myself the other day again.

I only wear gloves when I
know I'm in an area that
produces glass on almost every dig.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually wear bicycle gloves but when I know I will be digging in soil that is cold, wet , and yucky, I wear these that I picked up for 5 dollars, very similar to what Jeff just posted.

Not sure where I got them, perhaps Home Depot.

Don

Attachments

• five dollar gloves.jpg
    five dollar gloves.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 319

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use seal skinze, not cheap but very good especially in winter :thumbsup: they are made in the US I believe :thumbsup:

Attachments

• ssg.jpg
    ssg.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 289
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys....Don, the firm grip are the ones I use and ripped through two pairs. I bought them for $9.99 but I'll have to shop around and see if I can find them for $5. I'll also check out what Jeff and SS posted. Thanks again.

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
N.J.THer said:
Thanks guys....Don, the firm grip are the ones I use and ripped through two pairs. I bought them for $9.99 but I'll have to shop around and see if I can find them for $5. I'll also check out what Jeff and SS posted. Thanks again.

These gloves are some TOUGH critters! How long did it take to wear through them and what are you doing to wear them out?

If you're wearing a hole into the palm of your digging hand what you should look into is a pair of "climbers" gloves. These have an extra piece of leather in the palm and will extend the life by quite a bit.

Grip

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a pair of Atlas gloves. I went through many other brands before finding these. They are extremely durable. Thick rubber bottoms that move around the fingertips. I love this because the tips of my other gloves would get holes from prying around in the plugs I'd dug. The back of the gloves are a breathable cloth material so they don't get too terribly hot in the summer. You can pick them up at Ace Hardware.
http://www.atlasfitgloves.com/

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DrGrip said:
N.J.THer said:

These gloves are some TOUGH critters! How long did it take to wear through them and what are you doing to wear them out?

If you're wearing a hole into the palm of your digging hand what you should look into is a pair of "climbers" gloves. These have an extra piece of leather in the palm and will extend the life by quite a bit.

Grip

It did take a few months to wear through them and that is detecting around two or three times a week for an hour each time weather permitting. Then one or two hunts a month that are a few hours long. I use my right hand to retrieve targets. I usually wear out the tip of the right middle finger first (no comments from the peanut gallery) then the finger next to the pinkie next. Both my left gloves are like new. I don't think I'm extra hard on them. I usually cut a flap then loosen the dirt under it with my Leche digger then use my right hand to scoop the dirt out.

NJ

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
DrGrip said:
N.J.THer said:

Grip

It did take a few months to wear through them and that is detecting around two or three times a week for an hour each time weather permitting. Then one or two hunts a month that are a few hours long. I use my right hand to retrieve targets. I usually wear out the tip of the right middle finger first (no comments from the peanut gallery) then the finger next to the pinkie next. Both my left gloves are like new. I don't think I'm extra hard on them. I usually cut a flap then loosen the dirt under it with my Leche digger then use my right hand to scoop the dirt out.

NJ

I think the Atlas gloves are next to impossible to wear through. Two full seasons of detecting and other than being VERY dirty, they are still like new.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got some gloves at HOME DEPOT they have a rubber coating on the palm and fingers and they only costs $4 a pair and they have lasted for over a year now....Matt

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
i have those too...
jeff of pa said:
I Purchased a Pair of Latex Coated
Wells Lamont Gloves.
(They Won't fit
If you Put Latex Gloves Under them :wink: )

I Believe at wallmart.

The Palms are Rough.
And Fit like a glove should

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Lawn+&+Garden+Care&sbf=Brand&sbv=Wells+Lamont

great for glass, but
unfortunately I rarely wear them
just sliced myself the other day again.

I only wear gloves when I
know I'm in an area that
produces glass on almost every dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread