18 KB · Views: 298

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum.

For sure it's not an arrowhead at that size! I don't think it's a spear-point either. If authentic (and that's a big if) it's a hafted knife but will be really difficult to type without some indication of where it was claimed to have been found... assuming that was even America. It's not possible to tell from your pictures whether it has any particular flaking pattern, what lithic it's made from, or whether it has any patination/mineralisation that suggests it has any real age to it.

I'm more inclined to think it's a modern fantasy 'replica' of the kind that has been sold to the unwary since the 1940s or thereabouts. Better pictures might prove me wrong.

[Addition: or hoe/digging pick perhaps, but not 'axe' I think]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that shape at that size is suspicious, if it is authentic my best guess would be an axe but hafting something that size seems unrealistic

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that thing is gigantic. must have been hunting dinosaurs

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the arrowhead premise is wrong. Looks more like a hafted ax, especially for splitting wood.

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little "bird point"

LgArrowhead.jpg

Seriously, not an arrowhead. It would take a ten foot shaft and a bow that even Odysseus couldn't string.
I've seen these chunked out rocks at a few events. They're made just for fun.
Have a half made one in the yard I haven't finished, as we speak.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even spear points are typically under 3" wide. That would be a real he-man toss to get that into the vitals of an animal.

Possibly an axe head - but not really shaped like most (they typically have a chisel/wide edge.

Maybe it hung outside the village flint-knapper's hogan?

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

tommy67

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m gonna say could be a leaf knife made of rhyolite? It doesn’t quite fit neatly into mansion inn, unless it was a much larger boats style blade. I think it is rather think for mansion inn. Regardless cool find!

Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
interesting item.

you indicate you found this, where did you find this item?

Where was this found and how?

it does not appear to be flaked as an Indian relic would be, could you take some larger clearer images please?

I agree with those that indicate its more likely a fantasy item.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

[email protected]

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I PURCHASED FROM AN INSURANCE AGENT THAT WAS CLOSING DOWN. SHE HAD IT IN A CASE IN THE OFFICE FOR YEARS AND WOULDNT SELL IT TO ME. ONE DAY SHE CALLED AND WAS WILLING TO SELL IT. I FOUND IT INTERESTING AND I ALWAYS HAD LIKED IT SO I PURCHASED IT.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What we really needed was better (closer) pictures, not just more pictures.

Nevertheless, that looks to be about the worst piece of randomly-flaked handiwork I've seen for a long time. I'm sure it's the work of a modern amateur knapper (with emphasis on the word 'amateur').

Pafticularly evident on the second, fourth and fifth pictures is an unhealthy-looking difference in patination between the knapped and unknapped areas, with the knapped areas looking very fresh.

[PS: Why did you just post it again in the 'Help' section? That's intended for people needing help with how the forum works.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

[email protected]

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I AM SORRY I AM NEW HERE JUST JOINED YESTERDAY AND DIDN'T REALIZE I AM 79 YEARS OLD AND I APOLOGIZE I DIDN'T MEAN TO DO ANYTHING WRONG AND WAS JUST WAS LOOKING FOR HELP.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I AM SORRY I AM NEW HERE JUST JOINED YESTERDAY AND DIDN'T REALIZE I AM 79 YEARS OLD AND I APOLOGIZE I DIDN'T MEAN TO DO ANYTHING WRONG AND WAS JUST WAS LOOKING FOR HELP.

Don you have done nothing wrong and broke no rules! You are very welcome here, please dont be offended.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My apologies (your apology not needed).

Running the same question in two places usually results in confusion because not everyone is then part of the same 'conversation'. It's also sometimes the case that people make multiple posts when they don't like the answers they're getting at the first try. Didn't mean to suggest that's what you were doing.

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nevertheless, that looks to be about the worst piece of randomly-flaked handiwork I've seen for a long time. I'm sure it's the work of a modern amateur knapper (with emphasis on the word 'amateur').

Pafticularly evident on the second, fourth and fifth pictures is an unhealthy-looking difference in patination between the knapped and unknapped areas, with the knapped areas looking very fresh.

LOL ... it's not so much the knapper's ability. It's the fact than these are not made from "knappable" stone. These stones break in more of a "chunky" fashion and not in the ordinary conchoidal fracture. It takes powerful blows to do this, and the stone will often break in half, instead.

Agree that the patination is off on the "newer" flakes. The problem is that these would normally be made in an area where these flat rocks would be common. Hit them hard ... break a few ... pick up another. They always have the old, original look on most of the surface because they were flat to begin with. Almost impossible to determine the age because they would all have a "new flake" look compared to the ancient stone patination.

Again, I've seen these at events across the country. Made to attract a buyer's eye. Kind of a "That's not an arrowhead ... THIS is an arrowhead" thing.

Can't eliminate the possibility that it might be ancient, but ... extremely (very extremely) likely it is a fantasy piece.

Crude Knap.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread