Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whet on a hunt today I got 2 Wheaties, $4 in clad, a Louisiana luxury tax token and this this button. No I've never found a button before and especially one with what looks like an eagle and an anchor. It has 12 stars on top and it had a shank, but when I rubbed it it just crumbled. Not sure if it is a two-piece button. It was about 6 inches deep Anything would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_2103.JPG IMG_2098.JPG IMG_2102.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 8

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this your button? Nice find congrats

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-01-20-06-52.png
    Screenshot_2017-04-01-20-06-52.png
    371 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG!!! That is it!!!! Thank you so much.

And that's exactly what the back looked like before I broke it. Ugggh
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner button.

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely a USMC button. It is amazing that the design has not changed much in 200+ years, pretty much the same eagle grasping a fouled anchor as the Marine buttons of today.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crusader is correct, you found a later period 2 piece Marine Corps button. Trapperart is posting an early period one piece Marine Corps button.

As discussed in your other post on TN, the wing droop on your button breaks it out as later time frame. Had the back piece been intact it would have been easier to date it with the maker's mark.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely a USMC button. It is amazing that the design has not changed much in 200+ years, pretty much the same eagle grasping a fouled anchor as the Marine buttons of today.

The one slight difference being wing spread. Note the two attached pics from Albert's button book. As the buttons progressed in age the wings started drooping downward.

mc1.jpg
mc2.jpg

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusader is correct, you found a later period 2 piece Marine Corps button. Trapperart is posting an early period one piece Marine Corps button.

As discussed in your other post on TN, the wing droop on your button breaks it out as later time frame. Had the back piece been intact it would have been easier to date it with the maker's mark.

I think you're right. The house was a 130 year old house. Wasn't sure because I have found the 1829 8 Reales in that town.

So where would you date it?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you're right. The house was a 130 year old house. Wasn't sure because I have found the 1829 8 Reales in that town.

So where would you date it?

One thing I learned right away in relic digging is don't be surprised when you dig later period items in an early period spot because the area was visited or occupied beyond the first relics being lost there. I once dug on a Yankee picket point that overlooked the approach of a water way. I was digging civil war and Spanish American war era buttons. Turns out the same point was occupied by Federal troops during both periods because what is considered a tactical advantage point will continue to be reused.

Marine Corps buttons are very hard to pin down a date when the back of the button is missing since you no longer have a makers mark to go by, and even when you do the mark may give you a 30-50 year window as well.

I assumed the back had been brass as well. Could you post a side shot of the button from the side with the piece of back attached? Marine Corps 2 piece buttons started out high domed or puffy if you will. As time progressed the 2 piece buttons became thinner in appearance. If you have a high dome then I would guess late 1800s, but if it was a slim button then I would guess early 1900s.

I just realized that you have it next to a quarter which makes it very large and therefore I would place that early 1900s since I believe they were over coat buttons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing I learned right away in relic digging is don't be surprised when you dig later period items in an early period spot because the area was visited or occupied beyond the first relics being lost there. I once dug on a Yankee picket point that overlooked the approach of a water way. I was digging civil war and Spanish American war era buttons. Turns out the same point was occupied by Federal troops during both periods because what is considered a tactical advantage point will continue to be reused.

Marine Corps buttons are very hard to pin down a date when the back of the button is missing since you no longer have a makers mark to go by, and even when you do the mark may give you a 30-50 year window as well.

I assumed the back had been brass as well. Could you post a side shot of the button from the side with the piece of back attached? Marine Corps 2 piece buttons started out high domed or puffy if you will. As time progressed the 2 piece buttons became thinner in appearance. If you have a high dome then I would guess late 1800s, but if it was a slim button then I would guess early 1900s.

I just realized that you have it next to a quarter which makes it very large and therefore I would place that early 1900s since I believe they were over coat buttons.

The shaft looked exactly like the picture and I did see the word GULT in The back up before it crumbled. It appears to be domed to me because it's hollow on the inside but what do I know. You're much more knowledgeable than I.

This is what the shaft look like because I thought it was bent IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG IMG_2111.JPG IMG_2112.JPG IMG_2113.JPG

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd place that early 1900s. I'm guessing it was dug in moist soil which will eat brass up pretty fast too.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd place that early 1900s. I'm guessing it was dug in moist soil which will eat brass up pretty fast too.

Once you get past 6 inches it's wet clay. This was about 7 to 8 inches down. At the same location we were finding early buffalo nickels at 4 inches down. And they were tore up.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once you get past 6 inches it's wet clay. This was about 7 to 8 inches down. At the same location we were finding early buffalo nickels at 4 inches down. And they were tore up.

Should I even try to clean it up anymore?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread