I needed encouragement and I got it!

smitty010203

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you may remember my post the other day after a disappointing hunt where I dug about 20 pennies and 20 tabs... Well after a long long day at work and a 2 hour only exam for my masters degree I finally got to the house. Decided to hit my little back yard with the AT Pro which I have already gone through with the previous bounty hunter a good number of times. Got around to the side of the house and hit my first silver! rang in 82-83 running pro zero iron disc 35 and sensitivity -1, 5x8 coil. Since I have started mding about a month ago I have only then become aware of silver coins. I went through a huge jar of change and found 1 dime, which is the only one I had seen since looking. I tell you what though. There was no doubt after I uncovered that silver just before dark last night it was a silver. I dont know if its always like that but that thing came out shiny and clean compared to a normal dime. Definitely an exciting moment, cant wait to get back at it!:hello2: I might add that when I found it i cleaned it off just a tad with my small brass brush... it definitely created some scratches on it in the 1 second I did it. I made a point to be careful when I realized it was silver, guess i shoulda used the nylon brush or just waited until I got in the house. btw its a 1953 D

IMG_6664.JPG

Upvote 11
Don't clean silver with a brush, all you need to do is soak it in water for a little bit then put under running water from the sink to wash the rest of the dirt off. Even rubbing it with your fingers when dirt is on it will leave fine scratches and if was a coin that has value then you would have lost a lot of the value it had. After cleaning with regular water I wash it in distilled water so there's no chemicals from the tap water on it, then I put it in one of those cardboard and plastic holders that you staple together. HH

Congratulations! Yep, not much cleaning required. HH GL

congrats on your first and i can gaurantee it will not be the last!

At least you learned the cleaning lesson on a Nice, but common coin.
While I did not use a wire brush the cleaning did involve Tarnex & Q tips. Needless to say the 1903 o Barber Dime I found that was in EST, Xf 40 + condition now has many small micro scratches .
This happened almost 15 years ago & it still bothers me ( talk about OCD)
Hey-- maybe it's toned some since then and does not look as bad now?
Congratulations on digging your first silver coin .
Davers

Thanks guys, yea I have seen all over the place where people talk about not rubbing dirt off coins that have potential value and I was almost positive when I went to scrape this one off that it was a silver. However like I said it was my first so I now I know for sure what one looks like and I wont be doing that again next time. heck I knew when I was doing it it wasn't a good thing I just couldn't stand the suspense. Maybe I will get the coin Bronzed and frame it! JK!:laughing7:

Congratulations on the SILVER! :occasion14:

That's how I became a coin licker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back