What's new

"I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
2,484
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
"I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

This should be given some serious thought.

My belief is us little guys are recirculating the top of the pile on a weekly basis or however long it takes our dumps to be recycled.

If we get anything at all it's because some unsuspecting grandma or others had dumped older accumulations and the tellers at the banks did not get them.

Spend them. Spread them out. Slow the return process. If you bought all your cigarettes, pizza, movie rentals, restaurants, tips and gas (anyplace where kids work.) with halves instead of cash you will be removing coins from circulation. Cause just about every kid working at these joints will begin to hoard them. Because they rarely see them.....

How much cash do you spend on a weekly basis where kids work?

Commit to circulating 10 to 20% of all your dumps. Or as much as you can. Some of those coins may not make it back to a bank for years.

We should all do this. lets declare the month of June the "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" I'll bet we can bust open some of those BALLISTIC bags that Cat talked about.

Who's with me.? :thumbsup:

Mojo
 
Upvote 0
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

I am with you brother! I pay everything with halves. Always!
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

I'd really like to do it but i have found that it really ticks off some merchants. They do not have to accept payment in halves.

AMC
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

I pay for most everything I can with coins/bills I'm trying to dump. I pay my tolls with halves everyday (or Canadian), buy small things with halves, use small dollars in self checkout lanes, and pay for gas with wads of $1 or $2 bills I'm trying to get rid of. I'm guessing that for most of us moving as much coin as we can is the 1/2 the game (getting it is the other).

Brian
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

coinmojo said:
Some of those coins may not make it back to a bank for years.

On the other hand, some of those coins may fill a roll for some old lady and she'll cash them in, silver and all.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

TooManyHobbies said:
coinmojo said:
Some of those coins may not make it back to a bank for years.

On the other hand, some of those coins may fill a roll for some old lady and she'll cash them in, silver and all.

Good point.

Mojo
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

With the price of gas I can use 1/2 a box just filling the tank.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

amc rulz said:
I'd really like to do it but i have found that it really ticks off some merchants. They do not have to accept payment in halves.

AMC

They don't have to accept payment for goods with halves, but they have to accept them for any form of debt. If you have already consumed the goods, then they should have to take them under legal tender laws. If you have pumped the gas, then it isn't an exchange anymore.... you owe them the money. Unless you can unpump it. If it is pay first, then they can refuse to take them. Same logic should hold true for all purchases. If they give you a hard time then tell them Coinage Act of 1965 says they are good for payment of all forms of debt.

It really pisses off some clerks. I have dump $50 in halves a few times. They give you that pissed off look, but I get that at work all the time. I am use to it. Doesn't phase me at all.

-SWUSC
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

I recently commented on another post about someone with 11 halves or $11 in halves and basically said to spend them and the reaction was that they don't spend the same. Well...I've been spending them regularly for about 10 years now and have not been denied a transaction yet. Sometimes they'll ask you what it is or something but it's always accepted. I would estimate I spend rather than dump at least 2 to 3 percent of my halves. It's not a lot but it does add up. I would also guess many of those coins get hoarded simply because they are perceived to be rare. The other amount that gets deposited won't make it all the way back into the re-rolling system for quite some time. I also pass halves out as change at work, too. Probably nets me another roll being circulated per week.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

I dump my halves and small dollars when I set up at flea markets. I have never had a complaint yet. I also use them to purchase fuel. Here in Ohio you have to prepay for fuel, but the cashiers never give me any hassles.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

amc rulz said:
I'd really like to do it but i have found that it really ticks off some merchants. They do not have to accept payment in halves.

AMC

i believe no one can refuse legal tender for any transaction. i use half dollars often for small purchases and it is true, people think they are rare and keep them.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

I bought $400 in halve rolls at my local bank and got skunked. I heard there was a guy that orders boxes there, just one. I bet he dumped these rolls and skunked me. Anyhoo, now that I know this... I'll only order the boxes. I've been spending them 100% because I feel bad just dumping them back on the bank. Who else is going to go into the bank and request halves?? I've been using them for breakfast, lunch and dinner and have had no problems spending them so far. I would feel a bit weird paying for fuel with them though... a stack of 16 for lunch is quite enough I think. One girl thought they were dollars... I am too honest to not have corrected her. Other people do think they are quarters initially and then stare at them really close to read the value.

My bank says they can order me a box or more every week if I wanted them. I want them but I wanna have a good plan to get rid of them too.

What are the best ways to dump them? I don't spend that much per week to go through a box or more a week.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

RootMaster said:
I bought $400 in halve rolls at my local bank and got skunked. I heard there was a guy that orders boxes there, just one. I bet he dumped these rolls and skunked me. Anyhoo, now that I know this... I'll only order the boxes. I've been spending them 100% because I feel bad just dumping them back on the bank. Who else is going to go into the bank and request halves?? I've been using them for breakfast, lunch and dinner and have had no problems spending them so far. I would feel a bit weird paying for fuel with them though... a stack of 16 for lunch is quite enough I think. One girl thought they were dollars... I am too honest to not have corrected her. Other people do think they are quarters initially and then stare at them really close to read the value.

My bank says they can order me a box or more every week if I wanted them. I want them but I wanna have a good plan to get rid of them too.

What are the best ways to dump them? I don't spend that much per week to go through a box or more a week.


I feel bad dumping them on people other than gas stations and banks :). I have dumped $40-50 at a gas station just to have them bust open the rolls. They count them, then act like they are pissed off at me. I am like hey i counted it for you. Don't get pissed at me because you don't trust me. I don't care if you count them, but don't act like I am to blame.

-SWUSC
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

RootMaster said:
I bought $400 in halve rolls at my local bank and got skunked. I heard there was a guy that orders boxes there, just one. I bet he dumped these rolls and skunked me. Anyhoo, now that I know this... I'll only order the boxes. I've been spending them 100% because I feel bad just dumping them back on the bank. Who else is going to go into the bank and request halves?? I've been using them for breakfast, lunch and dinner and have had no problems spending them so far. I would feel a bit weird paying for fuel with them though... a stack of 16 for lunch is quite enough I think. One girl thought they were dollars... I am too honest to not have corrected her. Other people do think they are quarters initially and then stare at them really close to read the value.

My bank says they can order me a box or more every week if I wanted them. I want them but I wanna have a good plan to get rid of them too.

What are the best ways to dump them? I don't spend that much per week to go through a box or more a week.


The best way to get rid of rejects is to have a bank that has a coin counting machine that you can use free of charge. I would try to find a bank different from the one you buy from if possible. If you cannot find a bank with a coin counter, then you can deposit them at a bank if you roll them up. The banks often will give you the empty paper rolls to use.

I know some CRHers here who have to roll them to dump them, and I cannot imagine the hassle associated with that. I guess I am spoiled in that there are alot of banks in my general area that have coin machines, although I never take in more than 500-700 dollars worth at a time because I do not want to anger the tellers.
Even the really nice tellers seem to not be too enthralled with the prospect of processing a heavy bag of halves too often.


Jim
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

The thing about dumping them back to a bank is they just get recycled into the system. That full $1000 bag is going to go back to the Federal Reserve and be rerolled. If you can get someone to hold them, then they don't get recycled.

I am pretty sure that banks have to make coin shipments to the Fed in box sizes. So a branch with $400 in halves is going to sit on them. Dump back $500, and they get shipped off.

It doesn't help us to get dumps. Marking them causes them not to be held by people filling books, which hurts us too.

-SWUSC
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

sfwusc said:
The thing about dumping them back to a bank is they just get recycled into the system. That full $1000 bag is going to go back to the Federal Reserve and be rerolled. If you can get someone to hold them, then they don't get recycled.

I am pretty sure that banks have to make coin shipments to the Fed in box sizes. So a branch with $400 in halves is going to sit on them. Dump back $500, and they get shipped off.

It doesn't help us to get dumps. Marking them causes them not to be held by people filling books, which hurts us too.

-SWUSC

I guess it depends on where you live, but in my area it seems that all halves taken back to a bank get sent to the coin rolling company that delivers their coins, whether it be Brinks, Loomis, etc. If the coins are spent the store is going to deposit them in their bank too I would imagine.

The banks where I go generally send 1000 dollars worth at a time back to Brinks to be re rolled. When we buy boxes there will no doubt be rejects in there from CRHers, but there should also be grandma and grandpas coin collection that gets taken to the bank counting machine too.

I guess if people started hoarding clad halves it would cut down on the non silver halves we find in boxes, but I don't really see this happening on a large scale anytime soon.

Jim
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

I bought Burger King for the family today with 28 halves... the expression the guy gave me was like, "whoa!" and he had to open up the window again to make sure with me they were "50 cents".

I didn't notice a coin counter at my bank, and I really don't like the idea of paying 8.5% to Coinstar. I'm going to try to order a box and see if I get anything at all... if not this might not be worth the trouble for my case.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

RootMaster said:
I bought Burger King for the family today with 28 halves... the expression the guy gave me was like, "whoa!" and he had to open up the window again to make sure with me they were "50 cents".

I didn't notice a coin counter at my bank, and I really don't like the idea of paying 8.5% to Coinstar. I'm going to try to order a box and see if I get anything at all... if not this might not be worth the trouble for my case.

RootMaster,

Is that Glenn Beck in your avatar photo? It kind of looks like him.

Jim
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

jim4silver said:
RootMaster,

Is that Glenn Beck in your avatar photo? It kind of looks like him.

Jim

Yeah, I'm Glenn Beck.

Not!

That's actually me... way cooler than Glenn Beck.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

It's June....

As requested

Let's spend those halves. Especially if you live in Michigan

Mojo
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom