What's new

"I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
2,484
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
"I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

This should be given some serious thought.

My belief is us little guys are recirculating the top of the pile on a weekly basis or however long it takes our dumps to be recycled.

If we get anything at all it's because some unsuspecting grandma or others had dumped older accumulations and the tellers at the banks did not get them.

Spend them. Spread them out. Slow the return process. If you bought all your cigarettes, pizza, movie rentals, restaurants, tips and gas (anyplace where kids work.) with halves instead of cash you will be removing coins from circulation. Cause just about every kid working at these joints will begin to hoard them. Because they rarely see them.....

How much cash do you spend on a weekly basis where kids work?

Commit to circulating 10 to 20% of all your dumps. Or as much as you can. Some of those coins may not make it back to a bank for years.

We should all do this. lets declare the month of June the "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" I'll bet we can bust open some of those BALLISTIC bags that Cat talked about.

Who's with me.? :thumbsup:

Mojo
 
Upvote 0
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

Good idea -- in fact it should be done all the time. I use it for small purchases -- fast food, tips, etc. I don't like dumping a full roll on a merchant so I might mix in a few with my bills when I pay. Try mixing a few halves with your dollar bills when you pay and you won't feel so awkward. The next time you have $500 to dump, keep a few rolls in your car for spending money and soon it becomes a habit.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

taropatch said:
Good idea -- in fact it should be done all the time. I use it for small purchases -- fast food, tips, etc. I don't like dumping a full roll on a merchant so I might mix in a few with my bills when I pay. Try mixing a few halves with your dollar bills when you pay and you won't feel so awkward. The next time you have $500 to dump, keep a few rolls in your car for spending money and soon it becomes a habit.
This is what I've been doing for the last two weeks and it's funny the only one that is awkward sometimes is the person receiving the money. I usually get asked, "what ARE these?". But most people really like them.

I paid $60 down on a muffler job I had done, and would have used $230 in halves if I had them with me at the time. I actually brought only the $60 that day in halves. The guy was surprised because he asked me, "how do you want to pay for this?" I replied, "well I'd like to give you $60 in coins if that's ok?" He didn't think I was serious until I put them on the counter in rolls. Shocked he just put them in the drawer without counting. I told him they were from my dad's crazy coin collection, and that my dad gives me these rolls of halves everytime there is an occasion to give me a present. So I have to spend them because the bank will charge me a few and they won't do that to a merchant. He said, "Yeah I don't have any problem with it I'm just going to throw it in my bag and bring it to the bank". But I bet you he will look through them first! One lady at walmart said, "What do we have here, silver dollars?" I just laughed and said, "If they were I wouldn't be paying for Coke and Mountain Dew with them.

It's working out well for me... but getting rid of $900 that I started with is hard to do. I wonder if the dealer I'm picking up my new Explorer SE Pro metal detector from today would take $500 in halves??? lol.. evil!!! I won't do that to him.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

RootMaster said:
taropatch said:
Good idea -- in fact it should be done all the time. I use it for small purchases -- fast food, tips, etc. I don't like dumping a full roll on a merchant so I might mix in a few with my bills when I pay. Try mixing a few halves with your dollar bills when you pay and you won't feel so awkward. The next time you have $500 to dump, keep a few rolls in your car for spending money and soon it becomes a habit.
This is what I've been doing for the last two weeks and it's funny the only one that is awkward sometimes is the person receiving the money. I usually get asked, "what ARE these?". But most people really like them.

I paid $60 down on a muffler job I had done, and would have used $230 in halves if I had them with me at the time. I actually brought only the $60 that day in halves. The guy was surprised because he asked me, "how do you want to pay for this?" I replied, "well I'd like to give you $60 in coins if that's ok?" He didn't think I was serious until I put them on the counter in rolls. Shocked he just put them in the drawer without counting. I told him they were from my dad's crazy coin collection, and that my dad gives me these rolls of halves everytime there is an occasion to give me a present. So I have to spend them because the bank will charge me a few and they won't do that to a merchant. He said, "Yeah I don't have any problem with it I'm just going to throw it in my bag and bring it to the bank". But I bet you he will look through them first! One lady at walmart said, "What do we have here, silver dollars?" I just laughed and said, "If they were I wouldn't be paying for Coke and Mountain Dew with them.

It's working out well for me... but getting rid of $900 that I started with is hard to do. I wonder if the dealer I'm picking up my new Explorer SE Pro metal detector from today would take $500 in halves??? lol.. evil!!! I won't do that to him.

A car dealer is a perfect place to dump. The sales person only makes a commission for "completing" the sale and that entails actually receiving the money. You show up with cash, they'd be a fool to turn you away (although the smart thing for them to do would be to use the demo car to drive you to their bank to dump them in the coin counter).

I once paid $2000 on my truck with $2 bills. It attracted all the attention of all the sales reps that the manager actually came out and told them (in front of me) to wait until the cashier has verified them before they go through and buy any. I did tell them that there was more where they came from and if they needed to buy anymore, I'd be willing to help. I'd bet that quite a few of those never made it back to the bank.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

I now dump them at wal-mart. Just go to the customer service desk and buy money orders. I have not had a problem yet. Good luck!
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

snake35 said:
I now dump them at wal-mart. Just go to the customer service desk and buy money orders. I have not had a problem yet. Good luck!
Do you just plop down a $500 box of halves and ask for a M.O? :thumbsup:
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

I spent about $7 yesterday. Bought lunch and coffee with halves. Funny, both cashiers (youngsters) held them up, looked at both sides like they had never seen them before.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

I bought coffee yesterday with them, the cashier looked at each one to make sure they said "Half Dollar" on them. She was a spanish girl (? If that has anything to do with it, maybe she was looking for Pesos)
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

I give them 2 boxes and get money orders for my house payment and utilities. They give the balance back in green backs.
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

snake35 said:
I give them 2 boxes and get money orders for my house payment and utilities. They give the balance back in green backs.
2 BOXES?
out here it would be 4 or 5 for the same thing >:(
 
Re: "I PAY IN HALVES MONTH" Could bring about positive results

cyberdan said:
snake35 said:
I give them 2 boxes and get money orders for my house payment and utilities. They give the balance back in green backs.
2 BOXES?
out here it would be 4 or 5 for the same thing >:(
....and that is just the utilities.............more for the house payment.......I love California :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom