I picked up the deus the other day .

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remembered why I leave it at home .The thing sounds like R2D2 on speed .I am thinking about selling it if I can not get it to run quiet . I am running the stock LF coil . Is there another coil that will run quiet ? I hate to put another $425 in to it but it is so light it is what my mom uses when she visits . That is the only reason I am keeping it right now .Anyone run the ORX ? Is it quiet ? I hear it is more simple to run and three tone .

I will try the 9 HF coil and give it another shot . I have had it two seasons and I love the weight but I find so much more with my equinox . I should have turned down the sensitivity the other day when my mom was here . I do not use it that much anymore and was not thinking about it . I have found good stuff with the deus , I just got tired of bottle caps and deep rust .

Well, I've found gold rings, Confederate belt buckles, rare Confederate buttons, silver everything. Last week a Rev War stirrup!

I use factory settings. Period. I have the HF 9" elliptical coil. I set it on "Deus Fast", 74 khz, sometimes a lower frequency, tracking balance, 3 tones and DO NOT TWEAK IT. Sometimes in a field with sparse signals, I hear NOTHING out of the headphones, no targets and no chatter.

My stirrup ($125.00 value) was about 15" down, I didn't measure it (the exact depth that is). I've found a coin as old as 1520's here in the US. DO NOT TWEAK the settings. It will eat an Equinox, An AT Pro or Max or any such machine for lunch in the proper hands.

Sometimes those foil lines caps will fool it, however, that's also the setting gold rings come in it!

Last edited:
There is no difference - the ORX is no quieter than Deus - under the hood they are basically the same machine. The only real difference is you are relegated to 3 tones only with no tone break adjustments other than the ferrous break (based on disc setting) and a lot less ability to tweak other parameters. The HF coils tend to run more quiet than the legacy LF coils and even the new X35 coils in my experience.

Last edited:
I own both the Equinox 600 and the XP Deus and tend to pickup the Deus vs the Equinox as I am heading out the door as the Deus is just so darn light. I don't have many issues with my machine being chatty, unless of course the site that I am working is contaminated with modern trash and / or iron. Even then, there are ways to mitigate against the chatter. I would follow smokeythecat's advice and use Deus Fast without making any settings changes until you really understand how the machine behaves.

I have used it two seasons with luck but just can not stand the caps and deep rust and constant chatter . I run fast most of the time and just leave it . It is really light but a headache for me to use . If I did not have an equinox I would use it .

1942 Merc, I don't have much problems with nails. I can hear them, but know which signals to ignore. Caps with aluminum on them can fool any machine. My factory set Deus fast has the sensitivity at 90. Try more than one spot. There is an outside chance there is something wrong with the machine, but if that's the case, it's the first problem I have heard of with this unit.

The machine is fine . Bottle caps and deep rust are the problems . I have neither problem with my equinox at all . I use what works for me . The equinox has done more for me than any detector I have ever used . I have found more gold rings , well my only gold rings came from the equinox . My oldest US silver equinox . My best relics equinox . My most valuable silver US coin ATP . I found my best token with the dues and it was deep . I think the dues is deeper and has a more more accurate VDI than the equinox but the range of finds with the equinox is undeniable . I found a 1930s Remington typewriter lapel pin back sterling less than half the size of a dime six inches down and this thing is small .The separation with the equinox is unreal .All I know is the ease of use and my finds let me now what to use . I take the deus over my spots after the equinox has gone over the area and I never find much thinking I will get a deep coin I missed . I took the equinox back to a hunted out lot yesterday I have had the deus on many times with no luck . Equinox picked up a 1884 penny a 1907 nickle and a 1861 dime . The dime was under two bricks with nails up against the coin . 1861 1.jpg

Your recent results could be nothing more than salt content of the ground, angle of attack of the coil, sweep speed, ground temperature and ground moisture. My best diggings have been when it was below 45 degrees and the ground was even colder and WET. Conditions make all the difference. It is not uncommon for ME even to go behind myself and find stuff I missed the first, second or third time. I've gridded a guys back lawn for CW relics for 4 years and found ANOTHER Sharps bullet last time out. Finding one or two or even more items, especially at depth after you've been in a place is quite common.

I agree with Vferreri and Rusty Gold, they have good comments. The Deus has the better discriminator on it. And it will find very, very, very small non ferrous items at depth. Drives us nuts where we're on a spot they have been goose hunting. Those tiny lead bb's are so annoying. Go with factory presets. What version are you running? I haven't noticed that much with the upgrades. I think I have 5.2 now, but 4.0 was just fine.

4.0 is what I am running and yes I to keep going over the same areas and find more things I have missed . It has been very wet here for over a month and just rained again .We were flooded for most of the spring and when you would dig water would fill the hole from under ground . I had to quit digging in the wettest areas . I have very forgiving ground with very low materialization .The soil is like top soil you buy at the store in the bag .We have winter six months up here and it never really gets to hot . In july and august mostly .

Our ground here is bad to horrid. The Red Virginia Dirt, which probably comes from another universe will make any VLF detector user pull their hair out.

Well, I've found gold rings, Confederate belt buckles, rare Confederate buttons, silver everything. Last week a Rev War stirrup!

I use factory settings. Period. I have the HF 9" elliptical coil. I set it on "Deus Fast", 74 khz, sometimes a lower frequency, tracking balance, 3 tones and DO NOT TWEAK IT. Sometimes in a field with sparse signals, I hear NOTHING out of the headphones, no targets and no chatter.

My stirrup ($125.00 value) was about 15" down, I didn't measure it (the exact depth that is). I've found a coin as old as 1520's here in the US. DO NOT TWEAK the settings. It will eat an Equinox, An AT Pro or Max or any such machine for lunch in the proper hands.

Sometimes those foil lines caps will fool it, however, that's also the setting gold rings come in it!
Smokey, I'll have to disagree with you on the value of your Rev War stirrup. The correct value in my opinion would be Priceless. Congrat's, and Continued Success with the Deus. You two have done well together.

The thing sounds like R2D2 on speed .

I gotta ask you this question only because I know this mistake has been made before.

When you first turn on the machine do you hold the coil up about eye level or do you lay it on the ground and then power up?

The machine will chatter like crazy at times if you do the initial start-up with it on the ground.

The thing sounds like R2D2 on speed .

I gotta ask you this question only because I know this mistake has been made before.

When you first turn on the machine do you hold the coil up about eye level or do you lay it on the ground and then power up?

The machine will chatter like crazy at times if you do the initial start-up with it on the ground.
I noticed at the SC Coast my Deus started chattering like crazy once turned on. I powered if off a few times and back on with the same results. I probably did this with the coil flat on the ground. I will keep this in mind next time I power it up. Thanks for the info.

Waist high and away from the car/truck . As far from power poles as I can get . I do the same with the equinox . On the deus I leave the GB factory set and on the equinox I use tracking or zero .

You don’t want any machine, regardless of make or cost to be running silent , you have to get it tipped just over then edge..then back off until it’s just quavering..
I guarantee you will find more and better than anyone running their machine safe .
The deus is the best machine currently available for different field adjustments , it really does swamp any other machine on performance if used correctly and set up site specific...
Only time I would consider using something else would be if I thought I could be onto a hoard, in this case I would only opt for the ctx3030.
The ctx3030 will seek deeper no matter how hot you get the deus , but multi freq vs single is a different argument

The 3030 is a good machine, but the Deus beats it on weight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back