✅ SOLVED I really need help on this one.

jar head

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Orange Park, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was doing some research on old home sites in the area and found that one of the sites was currently a vacant lot. I contacted the owner and got permission to go onto his property and, while walking through, I found this thing. It looked like some vagrants used the property recently. (In the picture you can see plenty of ash in the hole) It seemed to be like an old fireplace but this thing is about 4' below grade. It looks to be dome shaped. This is located in northeastern Florida which is another reason why I'm at a loss. Can someone help me out with this one? :BangHead: chimney 2.jpg chimney.jpg

OP
OP
jar head

jar head

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Orange Park, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually, this area is pretty stable. This is the only place I've seen any sinkholes, other than the Gainesville area. There is another hole about 10' behind where I took the picture.

Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has the shape of a cistern .... just like the ones we have here ..................

Upvote 0

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess cistern or septic tank also being dome shaped. That was a common practice years ago once the were no long in use to fill them in with wood or coal ash also household trash. At least most of the ones I have seen. Might find some interesting old bottles if you dug it out. Just be careful if you do and make sure you bring a second person a long when digging just in case.

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard, jar head,

Thanks for showing us that digging opportunity. I'd be returning with shovels & scratchers, were I you. Those cisterns have a way of containing ash, and trash, and forgotten discards from long ago. I've dug three, and been rewarded with great bottles and small artifacts in each.

Good luck & keep us posted, please.

cistern3-lg.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jar head

jar head

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Orange Park, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome aboard, jar head,

Thanks for showing us that digging opportunity. I'd be returning with shovels & scratchers, were I you. Those cisterns have a way of containing ash, and trash, and forgotten discards from long ago. I've dug three, and been rewarded with great bottles and small artifacts in each.

Good luck & keep us posted, please.

Thank you! I will definitely hit this thing up. I'm going to take Helix's advice and bring a buddy with me. I'll let you know how it goes!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread