I saved my pulltabs... (until I struck GOLD!)

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 14k FG Ring.JPG
    14k FG Ring.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 2,212
  • 14k FG Ring 2.JPG
    14k FG Ring 2.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 2,186
  • ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,134
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I said I was going save my pulltabs... (until I struck GOLD!)

Pedrod said:
Chuck,
I think you will like my post -see link below! The picture is of all the items I found this year between 2011 Gold #3-necklace, and gold #4 the ring in picture. I counted all my targets - close to a thousand.

I hope you enjoy, and just think when you go back to those lakes where people will return to, your site will be cleaner and you will have a cleaner hunt.

Thanks for the picture

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....c,408282.msg2912610.html#msg2912610

link is broke.... yeah its a lot cleaner for sure!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

I always say, pulltabs plus effort = gold, your post is a great example of this.

BarberDan

May 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that's dedication...lol. Congrats on the gold and the intestinal fortitude to dig all of those pulltabs!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scrounger d detector collector said:
great pic but did u count them? how many?

I will... I'll let you know!

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

chukers said:
Pedrod said:
Chuck,
I think you will like my post -see link below! The picture is of all the items I found this year between 2011 Gold #3-necklace, and gold #4 the ring in picture. I counted all my targets - close to a thousand.

I hope you enjoy, and just think when you go back to those lakes where people will return to, your site will be cleaner and you will have a cleaner hunt.

Thanks for the picture

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....c,408282.msg2912610.html#msg2912610
link is broke.... yeah its a lot cleaner for sure!

Nice ring!... Here's Pedrod's thread, too -
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,408282.0.html

You definitely need to dig a lot of trash to get the goodies. Well, so I'm told. I'm still digging the trash! :tongue3:

- Kayaker

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I said I was going save my pulltabs... (until I struck GOLD!) ok the count is in

ok you guys tell me if my math is right...

I didn't count them all individually...

I counted 20 and weighed them... then I weighed all of them... took the total weigh and divided it by the weight of the 20... then multiplied that number by 20 tabs... does that sound correct? would that be an accurate count or close to it?

Chukers

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I said I was going save my pulltabs... (until I struck GOLD!) ok the count is in

Sweet find !

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other

its a buttload of tabs.

I was spoiled immediately and found a gold chain and ring the first week of metal detecting…

No gold since.

Eiter way congrats on the ring. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

underarock said:
its a buttload of tabs.

I was spoiled immediately and found a gold chain and ring the first week of metal detecting…

No gold since.

Eiter way congrats on the ring. :icon_thumleft:

I am finding you have to go where those kind of things are lost.... lol makes sense!

Chukers

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

chukers said:

I counted 20 and weighed them... then I weighed all of them... took the total weigh and divided it by the weight of the 20... then multiplied that number by 20 tabs... does that sound correct? would that be an accurate count or close to it?

Chukers

Wow, that's more dedication than I can muster. You sure earned that ring!
Regarding your math: it looks right to me. You can increase your accuracy if you weigh out a larger sample, say 100 tabs, and do your math. You could compare those two estimates and see how close they are. If they are close then you have a good idea of how many tabs you have.

Regarding donating pull tabs to charity: Don't.
Here's the original urban legend explained:
http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

batcap said:
chukers said:

Chukers

Chukers

Wow, that's more dedication than I can muster. You sure earned that ring!
Regarding your math: it looks right to me. You can increase your accuracy if you weigh out a larger sample, say 100 tabs, and do your math. You could compare those two estimates and see how close they are. If they are close then you have a good idea of how many tabs you have.

Regarding donating pull tabs to charity: Don't.
Here's the original urban legend explained:
http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp

ok then yhat should be around 1200 to 1300 tabs sure seems like there is more there than that... I may just have to count them all! LOL

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

How do you eat an elephant? One piece at a time - Why can´t you take a few minutes before your ready to watch TV and count four piles of 25, mark them on a paper llll with the bar down it for five - it wont take long to count them - I guess from the photo there are about 1800 - 2000.

I dont thing the weight things going to work unless you cant take an representative sample that will give you the break down between the square and round tabs. Once you take that into accout I believe you can get closer.

I counted the 944 items separating the metals into their different categories and then just counting a pile and taking a break between types to get it all counted. So I do´nt loose count I always count in piles of 25 and write down how far I am through the pile so if I get distracted I don´t have to do it twice.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pedrod said:
How do you eat an elephant? One piece at a time - Why can´t you take a few minutes before your ready to watch TV and count four piles of 25, mark them on a paper llll with the bar down it for five - it wont take long to count them - I guess from the photo there are about 1800 - 2000.

I dont thing the weight things going to work unless you cant take an representative sample that will give you the break down between the square and round tabs. Once you take that into accout I believe you can get closer.

I counted the 944 items separating the metals into their different categories and then just counting a pile and taking a break between types to get it all counted. So I do´nt loose count I always count in piles of 25 and write down how far I am through the pile so if I get distracted I don´t have to do it twice.

maybe I should make a contest out of it.... see who guess the closest...

Chukers

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: I saved my pulltabs... (until I struck GOLD!) *CONTEST* GUESS THE AMOUNT of TABS

I'll say 1,612 as a random, off-the-cuff guess.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I saved my pulltabs... (until I struck GOLD!) *CONTEST* GUESS THE AMOUNT of TABS

it may take me a while to count them all but I will keep guessing... maybe I'll thrown in a prize if someone guesses it exactly... we'll see how long it take me to count them.... I have to do a little at a time due to a busy schedule...

Chukers

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300

Nice Chuck!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread