I spread the grass and see a 1 carat diamond (or is it?). Updated with pic 8/7

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I was metal detecting this morning at a rodeo park and I get a poptop/goldring signal. I bend down and spread the grass and all I see is what looks like a 1 carat diamond staring up at me. I got really excited. I carefully dug the ground expecting to retrieve a gold ring but instead unearthed a metal cross. On the face of the cross it had 7 stones down the long way and 4 stones across the short bar. It is missing a few of them. Disappointement sets in. I did find a lot of clad though and very little trash. I also found a peace sign ring. This was all in a camping area for the people showing horses. It was very clean and I found a lot of quarters.

Attachments

• Cross.jpg
    Cross.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 0

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I spread the grass and see a 1 carat diamond staring up at me (or is it?)

I sure would like to see a picture of the cross. HH Burdie

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What a tease, ringding. ;) I'll be looking for the picture! ::)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, thats a nice find from the sound of it

-GC

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
To me it appears that the stones are costume. There's no apparent holes underneath and if you look close you may see folil under the stones to help reflect light. For sure, a diamond tester will show you if real or not but I'd say not. HH and keep 'em comin'.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Well you still did ok, finding a lot of clad and not having to dig much trash. The cross is still a great find,but I completely understand the disappointment. Yesterday I went to a playground to detect the woodchips for a little while. As I was digging I see a very shiny gold ring,turns out it was a cheapie ring from one of the machines. LOL >:( Oh well.....

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks kind of old, those appear to be glass or rhinestones and not cubic, I can usually tell by the pavillion(?) or crown cut, they seem to always look small in relationship to the size of the stone on a rhinestone or glass. I ain't a pro, I've just messed with a lot of diamonds, cubes, and rhinestones in my life. About 17 years ago my brother bought 4500 carats of cubic zirconia with around 35 or 40 carats of diamonds mixed in, and I sat for about a month with thermal density testers and news print testing cubes against diamonds. Talk about tedious treasure hunting. The payoff was good though, in the mix there were around 12 one half carat diamonds, plus umteen 1/4's, 1/8's and a lot of millies. wE had one that was between 3/4 and a carat in weight and what my brother refered to as a "pits" diamond (pi**ing in the snow) which are now hot and refered to as "champagne" diamonds.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Seems like we get 10 teases to one goodie sometimes doesn't it.
It's a nice find anyway as Green1 said, anything religous is a good find.
Best of luck.

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread