I think Brinks is culling out copper.

blink

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really think it depends on what area of the country you are in. I'm 100% convinced that Brinks is culling copper. I believe this topic has been discussed previously and there is some more information out there regarding who and why they're culling as well.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's illegal for us to melt copper pennies, so it is also illegal for them to melt them. Brinks is a coin company just like Garda, Loomis, Dunbar, etc.

My point, I do not believe brinks is culling copper. You're probrably just in an area where somebody has a ryedale or a similar mechanism that culls Cu pennies. Brinks is making PLENTY of money boxing and transporting the coin and cash, as well as other things, like security. I don't think they would cull copper pennies. There comes a point where enough is enough.

Just my 2 wheat cents.
HH,
BuffaloBoy
(there's 25%+ copper in my area)

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK PLEASE END THIS NOW!

No suppliers cull coins.

They can NOT take coins out of circulation PERIOD.

For 1, it's ILLEGAL for them to do so. and for 2, those coins would need to be replaced.

blink

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody said anything about them melting them. I believe Brinks is culling copper for a client for a fee. I know this has been discussed and fits well within their business model.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blink , this is absolute nonsense ! ,Brinks , Guardia , Loomis , etc. - Do not own the coin - they
are in the same capacity as long haul truckers - they professionally drive the coins in a secure
manner , from one location to another - period ! end of story . Argentium.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be of interest to some. I'm including a link to the Brink's website page that explains what they do for coin processing, it goes well beyond them being a trucking company.

I'm not saying that I believe they do it, but they most assuredly do have the ability and opportunity to separate copper Cents. Also, I'm not aware of any laws that prohibit them from doing so. Does anyone have a Statute to cite?

http://www.us.brinksinc.com/services/coin_processing_services.aspx

Attachments

• brinks.PNG
    brinks.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 542

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no concrete proof that Brinks is doing what was once reported. Likewise, there is no proof that they are not.
What they reportedly were doing:
- Taking mixed coin from Coinstar as usual
- Separating the denominations as usual
- Disposing of Coinstar's 1.00, 0.50, 0.25, 0.10, and 0.05 coins as usual
- Separating the Brass cents from Zinc cents
- Selling the Brass cents to a "client" for face + a processing fee
- Disposing of the zinc cents as usual

There are no concrete facts to support or debunk this report - just empty speculation.

Brinks does have coin services and does "own" coin. They provide cash and coin willcall to retail customers as routine. If they didn't own cash and coin, they could not offer that service.

F

Farchaus2k

PLEASE STOP THE INSANITY!!!!

I usually do 5 boxes of cents per week. I keep all the copper ones, and dump all the zinc ones. I dump the zinc cents at a bank that has a coin counter that is serviced by Brinks. Therefore Brinks gets 5 boxes worth of zinc cents. They re-roll them and, BOOM, you now have at least 4 boxes worth of pure zinc cents. I guarantee you that you are getting someone's pure zinc dumps.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Someone brings this up all the time, No they do not cull copper. Has it ever occurred to those who complain about it that perhaps they got some other CRHer's zinc dumps? Zinc dumps have to go somewhere and eventually get repackaged by companies like Brinks.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Many people on here have said "yes brinks is culling copper because I get all zinc cents" and others have said "no brinks is not culling copper because I am getting (x)% copper per box." Others have also said that perhaps brinks is culling copper for a client and selling the copper to said client for face value plus a sorting fee. Has it occurred to those who are bickering :argue: that only a few brinks facilities are culling copper for clients. That would explain why some aren't getting any copper and some are. I think that only a few facilities across america are culling copper, please feel free to strongly disagree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread