I Think I Found My 1st. Liberty Cap & Old Flat Button.....NO SITE Is EVER Hunted Out.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Think I Found My 1st. Liberty Cap & Old Flat Button.....NO SITE Is EVER Hunted Out.

So I left work late and got one of those feelin's I should hit a spot where I found my two oldest coins. I haven't been there in quite a while.
Mind you, after finding an 1807 Draped Bust LC and a 1787 NJ Copper, I pounded this site quite a few times with no luck; just some old costume jewelry, trash and endless iron.

Tonight I parked my car, walked about 20 feet and got a signal in the mid 60's. That usually means trash but I dug it anyway and to my surprise I dug what I believe is my first old flat button. I know nothing about them but here it is:

Liberty Cap and Flat Button August 19 2015 003.JPG Liberty Cap and Flat Button August 19 2015 004.JPG

It's not fancy, although the backside is a tad ornate. It looks like it says "Best Gilt" (?). If it's as old as the coins I've pulled from here it could be a winner. Either way, I like it.

Then I walked about maybe 15 feet to the general area where I found the 1807 DB and got a beautiful, high hit in the low 80's. About 8 inches down I found this:

Liberty Cap and Flat Button August 19 2015 001.JPG

And the back side, which is basically horrendous........

Liberty Cap and Flat Button August 19 2015 002.JPG

Looks to be an old Liberty Cap LC to me. It's also pretty toasty so I smeared it with olive oil for the pic. When it's dry it almost looks smooth with a few hunks of oxidation here and there. I also can't read a date but I assume it's pretty freakin' old.
I'm happy with it and I can scratch another coin off the bucket list.

If anyone can tell me what it is specifically I'm all ears. I'm pretty sure it's a Liberty Cap with the cap corroded over with that green stuff as far as I can tell. I just don't know much else about it because I've never even seen one until maybe 2 hours ago.

This is a very trashy spot but it keeps giving up these nice little gems every so often. When I next upgrade you can bet I'll be pounding this site really hard. But I'm really learning that it's absolutely true; no site is ever hunted out.

That's about it. I'm pretty happy with the way this short hunt ended.

Thanks for lookin & HH

******UPDATE******

I smeared more oil on it and held it under the light at just the right angle, and can make out "179.." but not the last number. So, it's definitely 18th century. That's my second one from this spot (second one period for that matter).

I'll leave it in the oil for a few weeks or months and see what happens.

Last edited:
Upvote 20
Fantastic find! That is definitely a Liberty Cap large cent with pole (not draped bust, which is the design that followed Liberty Cap). I can see the pole in front of the bust quite clearly. So your coin dates to 1793-1796! Check the rim, some variations had writing there: "One Hundred for a Dollar".

The flat button is an early one too. Early 1800s or late 1700s. It almost looks like a date inside the circle that goes around the shank? Great finds, go back to that spot!

That's what I thought.

I JUST did a side by side comparison to the 1807 DB and the latest one is much thicker, heavier, the profile is different and so is the hair. I also see the pole.
I'm pretty pumped. I understand they don't turn up very often. There are even a few versions that only one are two are even known to exist. (I should be so lucky right??).

I'm definitely going back to that spot. I don't know what was once there but it's definitely a Colonial/post Colonial site. The funny part is, it's a small grassy area next to a modern parking lot. I dug this coin not 25 feet from my car and the button even closer.

The downside is, the site's LOADED with iron and trash. The upside of all of that iron is, there may be more goodies hiding beneath. I'll need to clean things up and see what pops.

Also, that old, highly oxidized iron can sometimes ring up just like copper and silver on my machine. I've dug at least 20 old nails ringing up in the 80's. Either way, it's more training on my detector and I'm getting the iron out of the way.

You just never know where treasure lies waiting to be unearthed.

Oh, and the button definitely says "Best Gilt" and there is a very small number "3" close to the center post but no other numbers. There is also a leaf/vine design that goes around it. The front is completely smooth. It's in great shape other than the loop being broken off. But, after a couple of centuries underground what can you expect?? I feel very lucky to have found it.

The button was only about 4 inches down. The coin was twice as deep.

Last edited:
Fantastic find! That is definitely a Liberty Cap large cent with pole (not draped bust, which is the design that followed Liberty Cap). I can see the pole in front of the bust quite clearly. So your coin dates to 1793-1796! Check the rim, some variations had writing there: "One Hundred for a Dollar".

The flat button is an early one too. Early 1800s or late 1700s. It almost looks like a date inside the circle that goes around the shank? Great finds, go back to that spot!

So I did check around the rim with a loupe but unfortunately, it's so toasted that even if there was ever writing on it, there's none to be seen at this point. Those older ones are definitely thicker though. There's plenty of room for some type around the rim.

Oh well. I'm still real happy with it.

I tried to get back to the site after work tonight but about 5 minutes before I got there it began to POUR down rain for almost an hour and by then it was just about dark. I'll try and get back by Saturday. I have to run my boss to the airport tomorrow evening and won't make it back before dark.

But if the ground is wetter this weekend I may have some more luck. I know I sure would love to find an old silver or gold coin in that spot.
That would be amazing.

Last edited:
Yep, just think, after you have hunted every square inch of a place. You have only hunted the top 6 to 12 inches! The ground is always changing!

A successful revisit!

I have a feeling that you'll have a few more feelings to stop back there now haha Congrats :icon_thumright:

Its very nice when a old copper makes an appearance and brightens your day

That's what I thought.

I JUST did a side by side comparison to the 1807 DB and the latest one is much thicker, the profile is different and so is the hair. I also see the pole.
I'm pretty pumped. I understand they don't turn up very often. There are even a few versions that only one are two are even known to exist. (I should be so lucky right??).

I'm definitely going back to that spot. I don't know what was once there but it's definitely a Colonial site. The funny part is, it's a small grassy area next to a modern parking lot. I dug this coin not 25 feet from my car and the button even closer.

The downside is, the site's LOADED with iron and trash. The upside of all of that iron is, there may be more goodies hiding beneath. I'll need to clean things up and see what pops.

Also, that old, highly oxidized iron can ring up just like copper and silver on my machine. I've dug at least 20 old nails ringing up in the 80's. Either way, it's more training on my detector and I'm getting the iron out of the way.

You just never know where treasure lies waiting to be unearthed.

Oh, and the button definitely says "Best Gilt" and there is a very small number "3" close to the center post but no other numbers. There is also a leaf/vine design that goes around it. The front is completely smooth. It's in great shape other than the loop being broken off. But, after a couple of centuries underground what can you expect?? I feel very lucky to have found it.

The button was only about 4 inches down. The coin was twice as deep.

Those definitely don't turn up often. I've found five 1798 Large Cents, but no earlier cents than that. With what you're finding there, it's worthwhile to dig some iron too, especially big iron and anything that gives a "mixed signal".

That's strange about the #3 being next to the shank of the button. Of course, the front originally was gold plated ("Best Gilt").

So I did check around the rim with a loupe but unfortunately, it's so toasted that even if there was ever writing on it, there's none to be seen at this point. Those older ones are definitely thicker though. There's plenty of room for some type around the rim.

Oh well. I'm still real happy with it.

I tried to get back to the site after work tonight but about 5 minutes before I got there it began to POUR down rain for almost an hour and by then it was just about dark. I'll try and get back by Saturday. I have to run my boss to the airport tomorrow evening and won't make it back before dark.

But if the ground is wetter this weekend I may have some more luck. I know I sure would love to find an old silver or gold coin in that spot.
That would be amazing.

The site where I've found a number of Large Cents has also turned up Spanish silver. Keep trying!

Those definitely don't turn up often. I've found five 1798 Large Cents, but no earlier cents than that. With what you're finding there, it's worthwhile to dig some iron too, especially big iron and anything that gives a "mixed signal".

That's strange about the #3 being next to the shank of the button. Of course, the front originally was gold plated ("Best Gilt").

Thanks for the info on the button and yes, I've already begun digging iron. It's a colossal undertaking but I'm up to the challenge.

The site where I've found a number of Large Cents has also turned up Spanish silver. Keep trying!

Oh man, now I'm really motivated.

I have a feeling that you'll have a few more feelings to stop back there now haha Congrats :icon_thumright:

I have a feeling that your feeling about my feeling is spot on.

But seriously, my "feelings" and/or intuition have turned out to be my best friend in this hobby. When those hits come it always seems to end well.
I just wish I could call it up at will. That would really be something.

When it happens I look at it as a gift from the universe. Just gotta' be open and willing to receive.

Last edited:
A Liberty Cap cent is a tough coin to find in any condition! Congrats! :thumbsup:

The button is early 1800s, pretty sure that type didn't pre-date 1800.:thumbsup:

********UPDATE********

I took the Liberty Cap out of the oil to see if I could get a date. So far, the last number still eludes me.
However, the type on the edge of the coin is beginning to reveal itself which really excited me.

I'm hoping and praying that this thing turns out to be a rare 1793 but only time will tell.

I wish there was a safe way to remove the corrosion but I'm not gonna' do a thing to it. I did switch the oil tonight because the original soak did indeed remove a good bit of the green corrosion and the oil itself was a bit dirty.

Regardless of the year and condition, I'm still VERY happy with it. The more I've learned the more I'm realizing that this is one of those rare finds of a lifetime. I'm glad because I seem to be in a bit of a slump lately. The truth of the matter is I need to find some new and good spots. I've hunted my current spots to death.

I've been back to the spot where I found the Liberty Cap about three times and found yet another old flat button, what looks to be the blade portion of a very old table knife as well as a bunch of square nails and iron but so far, no more coins. I'll continue to remove any iron I swing over and maybe by Spring and with some weather some more old goodies will reveal themselves.

HH to all.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back