I Think I Found My 1st. Liberty Cap & Old Flat Button.....NO SITE Is EVER Hunted Out.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Think I Found My 1st. Liberty Cap & Old Flat Button.....NO SITE Is EVER Hunted Out.

So I left work late and got one of those feelin's I should hit a spot where I found my two oldest coins. I haven't been there in quite a while.
Mind you, after finding an 1807 Draped Bust LC and a 1787 NJ Copper, I pounded this site quite a few times with no luck; just some old costume jewelry, trash and endless iron.

Tonight I parked my car, walked about 20 feet and got a signal in the mid 60's. That usually means trash but I dug it anyway and to my surprise I dug what I believe is my first old flat button. I know nothing about them but here it is:

Liberty Cap and Flat Button August 19 2015 003.JPG Liberty Cap and Flat Button August 19 2015 004.JPG

It's not fancy, although the backside is a tad ornate. It looks like it says "Best Gilt" (?). If it's as old as the coins I've pulled from here it could be a winner. Either way, I like it.

Then I walked about maybe 15 feet to the general area where I found the 1807 DB and got a beautiful, high hit in the low 80's. About 8 inches down I found this:

Liberty Cap and Flat Button August 19 2015 001.JPG

And the back side, which is basically horrendous........

Liberty Cap and Flat Button August 19 2015 002.JPG

Looks to be an old Liberty Cap LC to me. It's also pretty toasty so I smeared it with olive oil for the pic. When it's dry it almost looks smooth with a few hunks of oxidation here and there. I also can't read a date but I assume it's pretty freakin' old.
I'm happy with it and I can scratch another coin off the bucket list.

If anyone can tell me what it is specifically I'm all ears. I'm pretty sure it's a Liberty Cap with the cap corroded over with that green stuff as far as I can tell. I just don't know much else about it because I've never even seen one until maybe 2 hours ago.

This is a very trashy spot but it keeps giving up these nice little gems every so often. When I next upgrade you can bet I'll be pounding this site really hard. But I'm really learning that it's absolutely true; no site is ever hunted out.

That's about it. I'm pretty happy with the way this short hunt ended.

Thanks for lookin & HH

******UPDATE******

I smeared more oil on it and held it under the light at just the right angle, and can make out "179.." but not the last number. So, it's definitely 18th century. That's my second one from this spot (second one period for that matter).

I'll leave it in the oil for a few weeks or months and see what happens.

Last edited:
Upvote 20
So I left work late and got a feelin' I should hit a spot where I found my two oldest coins. I haven't been there in quite a while.
Mind you, after finding an 1807 Draped Bust LC and a NJ Copper, I pounded this site quite a few times with no luck; just trash.

Tonight I parked my car, walked about 20 feet and got a signal in the mid 60's. That usually means trash but I dug it anyway and to my surprise I dug what I believe is my first old flat button. I know nothing about them but here it is:

View attachment 1201304 View attachment 1201305

It's not fancy, although the backside is a tad ornate. If it's as old as the coins I've pulled from here it could be a winner. Either way, I like it.

Then I walked about maybe 15 feet to the general area where I found the 1807 DB and got a beautiful, high hit in the low 80's. About 8 inches down I found this:

View attachment 1201310

And the back side........

View attachment 1201312

It's pretty toasty. I smeared it with olive oil for the pic. When it's dry it almost looks smooth. I also can't read a date but I assume it's pretty freakin' old.
I'm happy with it and I can scratch another coin off the bucket list.

If anyone can tell me what it is specifically I'm all ears. I'm assuming it's an LC. I just don't know anything about it because I've never even seen one until maybe 2 hours ago.

This is a very trashy spot but it keeps giving up these nice little gems every so often. When I next upgrade you can bet I'll be pounding this site really hard. But I'm really learning that it's absolutely true; no site is ever hunted out.

That's about it. I'm pretty happy with the way this short hunt ended.

Thanks for lookin & HH

It is toasty but very cool.............My guess is with your current info and picture it's a Liberty Cap (1793-1796) Large Cent
Just doing a quick look in the old Redbook trying to match pictures.....maybe!

Last edited:
very cool, its always awesome to see someone post a bucket list find, it may be a liberty cap, im no expert, im sure someone will better ID it for ya

good job!

Wow, always great to give it "one more try" and have it pay off. ......... BIG TIME. Congrats and HH

A very nice save! On the hunted out.. I think there all hunted out..:laughing7:

I meet a oldtime a month ago, he told me about a couple sites that they had hammered over the years and one was a place a buddy and I have got over 50 gold from in the last 18 months. The oldtimer had hunted the place like 7 years ago and had said the place had stopped giving so they moved on. Six years later my friend and I hammered the place and at this point we have moved on but still from time to time slip back there and find gold. Seems time shifts things around and the stuff just keeps on coming.

Great finds man!!!

A very nice save! On the hunted out.. I think there all hunted out..:laughing7:

I meet a oldtime a month ago, he told me about a couple sites that they had hammered over the years and one was a place a buddy and I have got over 50 gold from in the last 18 months. The oldtimer had hunted the place like 7 years ago and had said the place had stopped giving so they moved on. Six years later my friend and I hammered the place and at this point we have moved on but still from time to time slip back there and find gold. Seems time shifts things around and the stuff just keeps on coming.

Thanks.

I'm convinced that many hunters (including myself early on) just aren't willing to dig enough trash and leave that sweet gold in the ground. It is annoying digging trash sometimes but we gotta' take the good with the bad.

I dig any signal that could possibly be gold even if it means 50 pull tabs, another 50 pieces of foil and no gold. I figure it coulda' been gold and I'm that much closer to the next one.

I still haven't dug a single silver coin this year though; silver jewelry yes; coins, not YET. Maybe because I spend so much time digging trash.

And you're right. Conditions change and things move around. I KNOW I've hunted that EXACT area where I found these items tonight. There's no doubt. I hit it really slow and steady too; multiple times. The ground's much dryer now than it was when I hit it before. Maybe that's the difference this time.

I pulled three gold items from a field this year that I also KNOW I hit really hard last year and this year.. It's always changing.

That's good for ALL treasure hunters to know. You can always wait a while, go back and find more stuff. It's amazing.

Last edited:
I Think I Found My 1st. Liberty Cap & Old Flat Button.....NO SITE Is EVER Hun...

Man that's a tough call. But first off, congrats on a wicked old US coin. To me it almost looks like a "Jefferson head" liberty cap. But behind the head sure looks like a bun. All the liberty caps I've seen in person and in pics, have had pronounced caps behind the head that you didn't need to strain to see.

I just took a display off my wall and compared yours to some of my early LC's . It looks like, IMHO, to be a draped bust. Early and completely awesome, but a DBLC. If in question take the weight. The draped LC is about 3 grams lighted and the edge is noticeably thicker, even worn like yours.

Congrats!!!!!!

Steve

Last edited:
Man that's a tough call. But first off, congrats on a wicked old US coin. To me it almost looks like a "Jefferson head" liberty cap. But behind the head sure looks like a bun. All the liberty caps I've seen in person and in pics, have had pronounced caps behind the head that you didn't need to strain to see.

I just took a display off my wall and compared yours to some of my early LC's . It looks like, IMHO, to be a draped bust. Early and completely awesome, but a DBLC.

Congrats!!!!!!

Steve

It may be another DB. The profile just looks like the Liberty Cap to me. I'm looking specifically at the high forehead and the different hair. But, I don't know. The thing is so toasted. It could very well be an early DB. What I took for the cap may just be what's left of the bun.

I'll do a side by side with my known 1807 DB when I get to work and see if I can pinpoint any details.

Whatever it is I'm happy with it and the button as well.

Last edited:
It may be another DB. the profile just looks like the Liberty Cap to me but I don't know. The thing is so toasted.

Whatever it is I'm happy with it. The button is in way better shape than the coin.

Bud, it's an awesome coin. Killer in fact. Any 1700's US coin is epic to me. A draped bust is a dream find for most. I was spoiled - my first pre-1900's coin was a dreamy 1802 DBLC.

Congrats again

Steve

It's looking more like hardly hunted than hunted out!!! Get some more!!!:occasion14:

Big congrats G424! That is an awesome old LC.

Bud, it's an awesome coin. Killer in fact. Any 1700's US coin is epic to me. A draped bust is a dream find for most. I was spoiled - my first pre-1900's coin was a dreamy 1802 DBLC.

Congrats again

Steve

Thanks.

And yeah, my first (and only) DB, the 1807 is in pretty nice shape for being underground for more than two centuries; especially the reverse. I just love bringing them out of the darkness and into the light.

Oldest LC Yet!! 001.JPG Oldest LC Yet!! 002.JPG

I guess I got really lucky on that one. The first one I ever found was so toasted it took me almost a year to get the date; 1814.

Also, tonight's coin is much thicker and heavier than the Draped Bust. It's definitely a different style coin regardless of what it is.

Last edited:
Thanks.

And yeah, my first DB, the 1807 is in pretty nice shape for being underground for more than two centuries. I just love bringing them out of the darkness and into the light.

View attachment 1201425 View attachment 1201426

I guess I got really lucky on that one. The first one I ever found was so toasted it took me almost a year to get the date; 1814.

1814? That's a tough date to find to where you can pull the date. Those classic head LC's had soft copper planchets with many impurities. I have a couple Classic heads and they're both really rough.

Steve

1814? That's a tough date to find to where you can pull the date. Those classic head LC's had soft copper planchets with many impurities. I have a couple Classic heads and they're both really rough.

Steve

Oh, mine's definitely rough; I promise you.

Let's say I'm 99% sure it's an 1814. Again, in just the right light at just the right angle you can just about make out the numbers. That's what it looks like to me to the best of my knowledge (and eyesight).

That one's been in oil for almost a year now.

Last edited:
Fantastic find! That is definitely a Liberty Cap large cent with pole (not draped bust, which is the design that followed Liberty Cap). I can see the pole in front of the bust quite clearly. So your coin dates to 1793-1796! Check the rim, some variations had writing there: "One Hundred for a Dollar".

The flat button is an early one too. Early 1800s or late 1700s. It almost looks like a date inside the circle that goes around the shank? Great finds, go back to that spot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back