I think I ordered TOO much!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Everyone that reads my posts knows I don't do halves very often. I averaged 1 silver per 8.3 boxes last year, so Why do it? But about twice a year I order some, in the (hopes) that there is something out there that i missed. When I do, I order from everywhere at once. I do that because after 4 or 5 skunks, I don't want to DO any more. But if I already HAVE them, then I do them just to get through them and get them out of here again. PLus I'm hoping that I make them go deeper into their stash and maybe down to a level that they haven't been to in a while, and I'll get some new things.

Anyway ... over the past year or so I've expanded the banks I go to. I get pennies mostly, and a lot of nickels, but I also ask for loose halves every time. And lots of banks hold them for me even. So I DO find silver, by getting them before they go into the system, and the more banks that I go to in order ot ask for loose ones the better my odds. I'm up to 48 banks on 2 circuits that I frequent.

I decided to order halves again for this week. First time in about 5 months. So I went to my normal runs, both sides, and grabbed some pennies, plus a few new silvers (yea!), and then ordered 2 boxes of halves. From each bank.

YIKES.

Next Friday, I have 48 banks giving me 2 boxes each. That means i have to come up with $48,000 in cash to BUY THEM. Guess I didn't think THAT one through! HA! I'll have to make withdrawals of $9,000 per day for five days to not go over the $10,000 reporting limit, and then I'll be able to buy what I need.

Anyone else find they have to have a LOT of capital tied up to make purchases, or do you stagger it out better than I did with my thinking this time? :tongue3:

I'll let everyone know how my NINETY SIX boxes go. I'm hoping for 15 silvers. It would be above my average, and at least make me feel good about the time it will take. I'll let you know in two weeks (maybe three, depending on how long it takes me to go through them all) how I did. For now though ... I just need another $45,000 to get me to where I need to be by Friday. LOLOL

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Answers to two questions: <<
Does the system in AZ actually separate Silver and Foreign Coins? Gilmore Happy used to post about his long skunk streaks and mentioned that he also didn't get any foreign, so he thinks that the system is actually set to reject anything that isn't a regular coin, namely Silver. >>

yes it does, but it misses some. I know many say they can not as it is not their coins but even my coin counting machine at my dump bank separates out the silver. It is not done FOR the silever. It is just done because the comparitor says that the coin going through does not match any coin that should go through, so it goes into the reject bin. My wheats before 1942 go there (on the rare occassion I miss one) and silver goes there. If that machine, set up for clients to dump coins, can do it, I'm SURE the rolling machines can. And once they see silver int he reject bin? I see nothing illegal or wrong with them culling it out. People say they do not own it. But there is nothing saying they can't buy it and replace it with clad. Shoot, they may even get if or FREE, as they get other coins itn he rejet tray for free. But YES, the newer machines reject silver and it goes to the reject tray. I don't call it culling, but it is the same effect. Gilmore Happy has had better luck than I have on halves. I had a skunk streak of 53 out of 55 in 2009, with 2 silvers in 55 boxes. He seemed to hit some veins once in a while. ALthough, like me, I think his veins were from loose coins, not boxes.

<<How long to dump ?? and where??? >>

Dumping has never been my problem. I have a cank with the aforementioned coin counters. They allow me to dump what I want. Granted, I've never dumped THIS much before, but there are seven branches near here, so if i dump $1,000 - $1,500 at each one I can dump $9,000 or so at a time. Do it for five trips, about once a week, and i'm done. And dumping $1,000 - $1,500 at a time isn't bad. Many here do much more than that. And some in these branches do more than that. I have accounts there too, so they don't give me any grief over dumping. ALthough the machine says it is a free service even for non -customers.

Off to work now. :-)

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
A wise man once said "when in the presence of those wiser than you learn , when in the presence of those with less teach, but learn first to tell the difference.

lesson one if someone has 40 pickup banks they may be a CRH with experience, If they can (without a loan) and are willing to get 50 k in cash in a week they may know how to increase their capital. If someone has a ton and a half of cents in there garage they may have capital to spare and the may be a cutting edge CRH (think of a CRH in 1965 looking for (90%) once watched a man tell someone how to improve there shooting ability, after a bit the "student" says. "you don't know who I am do you?" Turns out the student was one of the top five completive shooters in the country. Love your posts JRF60 wish I had the $ to do the same thing up here in Idaho

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Don't forget that is placing yourself OUT THERE to be seen by a lot of people who notice all the activity and could follow you with all that loot.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Don't forget that is placing yourself OUT THERE to be seen by a lot of people who notice all the activity and could follow you with all that loot.
I AGREE.
check in your rearview mirrors at all times approaching and leaving a bank.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you have fun. You have to buy a hand truck for all the silver :notworthy: :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: :blob7: Don't listen to the haters and cry babys. They wish they could do more!!!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! Hope you get a bunch of silver. :icon_thumleft:

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a pretty epic number of boxes, hopefully you get yourself a nice pile of keepers. I dont think its too much, especially since you do this so rarely, gotta get that fix. :tard:

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBoy said:
96 boxes x 25 lbs = 2,400 pounds. Yup, 1 ton+400 pounds. Hopefully your suspensions on your vehicle can handle this load(I'm sure it will).

dump truck needed over here. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions