What's new

i think NEL makes a good coil for the beach

fireguy

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
313
Reaction score
74
Golden Thread
0
Location
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I just wanted to give people my opinion since I like this hobby and like when people give a heads up on equipment so here is mine.

I am on vacation and I had bought a NEL storm 13x14 dd coil for my little ol' ace 250. Using this week I would say if I lived near a beach I would buy another one in a heart beat so maybe you may want to also. I have been able to swing it for an average hunt each day of about 3 hours. With the size I have been able to cover a large section of the beach each time pretty easily. And by day 2 I was able to tell a bottle cap no problem which I've heard some dd love them. This coil does not. I have seen tons of people with minelab machines and some Whites. Each day I've seen at a minimum of 5 people detecting while I'm out and my clad count is still over 60 so far on day 3.

I'm not saying that they are the end all coil but if your looking for a good coil to cover the sand I would consider looking at one of there large coils. They make all different size from small ones to a 15x17 I think.

Not looking to start a which is best debate just wanted to let you all know I'm happy and it's something worth looking at.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Minelab detectors you saw were most likely VLF multi frequency balance induction detectors.
Minelab's PI (pulse induction) detectors are very expensive and are mostly used for finding gold nuggets on land.

If they were pod designs (look like tubes on a stick) they would be Excaliburs, used by shallow water hunters - designed for divers. If they were searching for gold rings (most likely) their clad coin count would not be high as they would be digging low tones - not high as you would for silver and clad.
 
Last edited:
I fixed it sorry for the mix up and either way I'm happy with the coil it covers a lot of area and works well. But there where a lot of people digging coins because I was talking to them earlier in the day when they were out and was enjoying the sun. I went out as sunset. I'm sure the was someone digging a little of everything since I saw locals with the minelab to the hobbiest vacationing couples with Detectors. There was a minimum of 2 Detectors on the beach every time I went to the beach. Not saying the coil found what they couldn't just that I felt as if I covered a ton of ground and maintain good sensitivity to coil size targets that's all.
 
Hi, I ordered the NEL storm today for my AT Pro. I am looking forward to trying it on the beach where I live. I will provide feedback when I get it.
 
Fireguy: I agree with you, with a larger DD coil on an Ace 250, you will significantly increase the area you can search on a given hunt as there is more area detected under the search coil on each sweep and you only need a 25% overlap with the wide blade pattern verses 75% overlap with a concentric coil (cone shaped pattern) to keep from missing the deeper targets. Also, the DD coil is more sensitive as it does not see as much of the ground matrix in comparison to the target. Thus it works better when the soil is more conductive (salt) as it senses less noise. I would expect a depth increase of two to three inches in comparison to the standard coil for the Ace 250. This is less than the claimed increase of up to 70% by NEL, but still is a significant improvement. IIRC, there is a U Tube video of the test of a NEL coil with the standard Garret Coil. If those tests are true and not rigged, I would say that the 70% increase in depth is achievable.
As a general rule, I try to purchase coils from companies which have made coils for the detector manufacturer as they have to meet OEM manufacturing and standards quality. For the Minilab this would be Coil Tech who Makes the WOT coil, or Sun Ray who has a strong relationship with Mine Lab.
However, If I had a Garrett Ace 250, 350, or AT PRO purchasing a NEL would be a no brainer, if the quality of the NEL, which is made in the Ukraine is as good as or better than the original coil, it would definitely worth be worth the cost to me.
I fixed it sorry for the mix up and either way I'm happy with the coil it covers a lot of area and works well. But there where a lot of people digging coins because I was talking to them earlier in the day when they were out and was enjoying the sun. I went out as sunset. I'm sure the was someone digging a little of everything since I saw locals with the minelab to the hobbiest vacationing couples with Detectors. There was a minimum of 2 Detectors on the beach every time I went to the beach. Not saying the coil found what they couldn't just that I felt as if I covered a ton of ground and maintain good sensitivity to coil size targets that's all.
 
Last edited:
Yesterday I received my 13x14 NEL STORM. I have tried it now for a total of 4 hours on the beach. I purchased it for my Garrett At Pro. My first impression is not to good. First, I find the weight of the coil to heavy. I am in good shape and usually can go from morning until night on the beach. I had to take a break after swinging if for an hour. I never get skunked when I go the beach. My first time out I didn't get any hits. Having said that let me say that I followed the directions carefully as far as ground balance and discrimination. NEL supplies directions instructing the user to lower the sensitivity. It should be lowered to half before attempting to ground balance. I did all of those things. I ran the coil in PRO mode with discrimination set at 31. I also tried it in the full metal mode at zero. I had zero hits in the wet sand. There was very little chatter.

My first impressions are not good. I went to the beach today for two hours and hit one target which turned out to be a dime at about 10 inches. Yesterday I ordered a harness to try and take off some of the weight. I plan on trying it again at a different beach to the south where I always have good luck. I will provide more feedback once I get the harness and can swing it for a longer period of time. I also plan to take it to a few parks and try it. I want to be fair about the performance of this coil. I would love to hear from others about this coil, the weight and performance.
 
Good feedback Slider66: Most don't post when results are less than expected.
You may possibly have a bad coil - could be poor quality control by the manufacturer.
Did you try dropping targets ( Nickle, quarter, dime,zinc penny on the ground) to check calibration
and bottle caps. pull tabs, lead sinkers, keys, iron - to test the discrimination.
I also do this to check how well the new coil pinpoints..
Quick and easy to do in the back yard, if it is not trashy.

I need all the confidence, I can muster before dealing with the additional difficulties of the beach.



Yesterday I received my 13x14 NEL STORM. I have tried it now for a total of 4 hours on the beach. I purchased it for my Garrett At Pro. My first impression is not to good. First, I find the weight of the coil to heavy. I am in good shape and usually can go from morning until night on the beach. I had to take a break after swinging if for an hour. I never get skunked when I go the beach. My first time out I didn't get any hits. Having said that let me say that I followed the directions carefully as far as ground balance and discrimination. NEL supplies directions instructing the user to lower the sensitivity. It should be lowered to half before attempting to ground balance. I did all of those things. I ran the coil in PRO mode with discrimination set at 31. I also tried it in the full metal mode at zero. I had zero hits in the wet sand. There was very little chatter.

My first impressions are not good. I went to the beach today for two hours and hit one target which turned out to be a dime at about 10 inches. Yesterday I ordered a harness to try and take off some of the weight. I plan on trying it again at a different beach to the south where I always have good luck. I will provide more feedback once I get the harness and can swing it for a longer period of time. I also plan to take it to a few parks and try it. I want to be fair about the performance of this coil. I would love to hear from others about this coil, the weight and performance.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom