What's new

I think this is a ring.........Yes it is

Kiwijohn

Sr. Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
350
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer
I 'think' this is a ring.........Yes it is

..but I'm just not sure. What do you think?
The hollowness inside suggests a ring. The 'stone' is almost black, but the shape is odd.
IMG_0568 (Medium).webp
IMG_0567 (Medium).webp
IMG_0571 (Medium).webp
 
Re: I 'think' this is a ring..

looks like a ring to me , but it is a odd design.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I 'think' this is a ring..

The style of this antique ring is Art Deco/Art Nouveau, thus circa 'turn of the century.' It was at it's peak in the around 1910-20. This style used alot of Neoclassical and Cubism shapes, which was so typical of the Roaring '20s.I can't tell from the photos, but the flat stone could be a black onyx or a blue sapphire, both of which were popular for this style ring. Is it marked anywhere? Really nice find, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • ArtDecoStyleRing.webp
    ArtDecoStyleRing.webp
    5.4 KB · Views: 293
  • ArtDecoFlapper20s.webp
    ArtDecoFlapper20s.webp
    5.8 KB · Views: 323
Upvote 0
Re: I 'think' this is a ring..

Breezie said:
The style of this antique ring is Art Deco/Art Nouveau, thus circa 'turn of the century.' It was at it's peak in the around 1910-20. This style used alot of Neoclassical and Cubism shapes, which was so typical of the Roaring '20s. I can't tell from the photos, but the flat stone could be a black onyx or a blue sapphire, both of which were popular for this style ring. Is it marked anywhere? Really nice find, Breezie

Thank you all for your replies..

Breezie....I have borrowed a loupe and had a closer look. There is what looks like a mark,
and maybe it's wishful thinking but I think I can make out a '5' of a '925'
I found it in wet sand at the beach (salt) and under the blackness it has signs of being
silver. Should I clean it? thanks again.. John
 
Upvote 0
Re: I 'think' this is a ring..

Nice find Mate :thumbsup:
But I have to disappoint Breezie 8)

Your find has the same dark oxidation that my few, but varied, silver finds have.
All found on local beaches and all very contemporary.

Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: I 'think' this is a ring..

Mike, I do considerable beach hunting, and you are right, salt water & all the elements can do a J-O-B on jewelry, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train :laughing7: I have had the nicer pieces professionally cleaned and the results have been amazing. You may have already seen these comparative photos, but I'll post for KiwiJohn. The cost for this professional cleaning at the local jewelry store was $20.00. ;D Breezie
 

Attachments

  • DiamondRing2.webp
    DiamondRing2.webp
    21 KB · Views: 243
  • DiamondRingCleaned3.webp
    DiamondRingCleaned3.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 242
  • DiamondRingCleaned2.webp
    DiamondRingCleaned2.webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 254
  • DiamondRing1.webp
    DiamondRing1.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 242
  • DiamondRing1.webp
    DiamondRing1.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 240
  • DiamondRingCleaned2.webp
    DiamondRingCleaned2.webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 239
  • DiamondRing2.webp
    DiamondRing2.webp
    21 KB · Views: 240
  • DiamondRingCleaned3.webp
    DiamondRingCleaned3.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0
Re: I 'think' this is a ring..

Kiwijohn said:
Breezie said:
The style of this antique ring is Art Deco/Art Nouveau, thus circa 'turn of the century.' It was at it's peak in the around 1910-20. This style used alot of Neoclassical and Cubism shapes, which was so typical of the Roaring '20s. I can't tell from the photos, but the flat stone could be a black onyx or a blue sapphire, both of which were popular for this style ring. Is it marked anywhere? Really nice find, Breezie

Thank you all for your replies..

Breezie....I have borrowed a loupe and had a closer look. There is what looks like a mark,
and maybe it's wishful thinking but I think I can make out a '5' of a '925'
I found it in wet sand at the beach (salt) and under the blackness it has signs of being
silver. Should I clean it? thanks again.. John

John, if it is marked 925 it is sterling silver. Personally, I would clean it. Wright's Silver Polish (found at the local chain grocery store) would probably be a good start if you want to try to clean it at home. I have found Wright's to be the most gentle, yet effective on sterling as well as plated silver. Follow the directions on the jar. It might take several cleaning to remove the tarnish. Wright's will remove the tarnish, but will not remove the scratches obtained from years and years of being rolled around on and in the sand/surf. After you have home cleaned it, I'd take it to your local jewelry store to get them to ID the stone. At that time you can decide if the value is worth having it professionally clean/polished/buffed. I think it is worth it, great find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: I 'think' this is a ring..

Wow :o Those rings are stunning Breezie :thumbsup:
My point was though, I don't think the ring is actually of the art-deco era. I think it is more likely modern.

Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: I 'think' this is a ring.........Yes it is

Thanks Breezie.... Love those rings :icon_thumright: I will have a shot at cleaning it...John
 
Upvote 0
Re: I 'think' this is a ring.........Yes it is

I found a similar one that I sold on my store.
 

Attachments

  • mod ring.webp
    mod ring.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom