I used to attend auctions and picked up lots of things

S

Sonic

I'm here in Sydney (Australia) and attended plenty of auctions. I would pick up all kinds of bargains but the best were two items in one lot which were a Data I/O programmer and a Data Protocol Analyzer (test instruments). I paid $1350 for the pair and about 6 months later sold the pair for $27,500.

I used to pick up lots of oscilloscopes very cheaply too and often made $1000 to $3000 each on them.

I was at one auction and everybody else was stepping over this huge box that looked like a very old PC. I stopped to have a look at it and saw that it was a DEC minicomputer - current model. At the time of bidding I stuck 5 fingers in the air indicating $500 to the auctioneer. He looked around at everybody, nobody placed a bid and knocked it down to me for $50!! He thought the 5 fingers meant $50! I sold it for $9500 about 1 year later (it was hard to find a buyer).

One of my friends used to buy old x-ray machines at auction and he always got them cheap. But he would sell them to Vets for $2000 to $5000 each. They weren't usable for human use any more being very old (and with new laws) but those laws didn't apply to animal use x-rays.

There's a lot of bargains at auction if you have a good knowledge of what it is you are looking at and know where to sell it.

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Sonic,
Is this what you do for a living? If not maybe you should think about it ;)...im just getting into auctions and garage sales...Do you pick up any kind of old electronic or do you stay specific?
PAyoungin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions