Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this thing in a free pile on the side of the road yesterday . It is about the size of a small foot locker and weighs 30 - 40 pounds . I guess it's a 'quack' medical device . I reluctantly plugged it in and pulled the main switch - nothing happened til I started moving the selector knob - the lights in the room went dim - bright blue sparks appeared between the gap thingies with a very loud crackling noise . The side compartment has lots of accessories -wires , probes , gauze bandage stuff , thin lead plates , etc . I wish it had directions with it .

mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 025 (3).jpg
    Picture 025 (3).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2,942
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 2,954
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 2,936
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,947

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the sounds you describe, it may be an Ozone generator, but from the looks of some of the attachments, it may be a kind shock treatment generator.

Doctors use them nowdays for muscle stimulation therapy. Those big metal pads might have been meant to be wrapped around an arm or leg, or smaller ones taped to the chest.

The different dials (rheostats) might be for adjusting pulse intensitiy and pulse spacing of the electricity going into the muscles.

Best,

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do wind up there, just remember the name Dr. Emmett Brown! ;D ;D

Also:

Hewlett Packard
Microsoft
Amazon.com

That should take care of you for the rest of your life!

Mike

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
diathermy
DIATHERMY [diathermy] , therapeutic measure used in medicine to generate heat in the body tissues. Electrodes and other instruments are used to transmit electric current to surface structures, thereby increasing the local blood circulation and facilitating and accelerating the process of absorption and repair. Diathermy is used for arthritis, bursitis, and other disorders of the tendons and muscles, as well as for certain other conditions requiring tissue repair. Because of the high-frequency current used in shortwave diathermy, care must be taken to avoid burning the patient's skin or injuring the deeper tissues.

Author not available, DIATHERMY., The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition 2006

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call. I didn't blow up the pic in Photoshop until you said diathermy, and saw the tag on the top "DIATHERM"

Best,

Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my first wife fell in love with one of those and left me for it? Don't leave it sitting around if you're married! ;) :D Actually it reminds me of one of many such devices charletons used to scam the ill of health back in the early days of electricity. I went through a medical museum somewhere one time and they had a bunch of those devices on display and they all came in a wooden box. But now I see you have figured out what it really is so 'nuff said. Very interesting...uh, I mean Excellent! I am now .0454% at guessing what unknown things are and getting dumber! Monty

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I am quite sure the box it is in has a considerable value in and of itself......Probably more than the whole device. I found a microscope at a garage sale one time in the original wooden box. Value of the microscope was about $100...Value of the box, well, I sold it for$450. ;D

Great find for a freebie without a doubt.

~Nashoba~

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Electric execution device.......

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are the flat metal things lead?

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
are the flat metal things lead?
Yes , Double A , they are lead . I assume they lay on your skin - then attach the alligator clip things ..... and fire it up ! I'm looking forward to NEVER trying it {at least on myself}

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said it before and i'll say it again,"you find the coolest stuff up there." Congrats on another unique find!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My chiropracter may have used one of those on me in the eighties. :P 15 minute therapy sessions 2x a week. I was not impressed.
Before you use it read this FDA Public Health Notification: Diathermy Interactions with Implanted Leads and Implanted Systems with Leads

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/safety/121902.html

A

Atlantis0077

A very nice find indeed.

I am sure a collector of medical memorabilia would pay handsomely for it. Better than an old doctors bag that is. Of course they still sell something that performs much the same function. Look up EMS or TENS machines. They allow treatment of chronic pain by using electric current..low level, multi-frequency. Of course thanks to technology, the box is about the size of a cigarette pack.

Atlantis

T

TreasureTales

Well, I don't know about all that electrical stuff in the box - I'd probably tear it out (and live to regret it when I later learn the thing was worth a fortune) and clean up the box to use as a storage box for my gold coin collection. LOL Yeah, that's it...my gold coin collection.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like Dr. Mengle's fun weekend box!

It could be a treasure locator.

"Where did you bury the gold"

"I'll never tel . . .ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

"I'll ask again"

"In the c-c-c-ellar."

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
There is a museum in St.Joseph, Missouri called "Glore Psychiatric Museum". I don't know if you want to sell it or not but they might be interested.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same song, second verse. I had one of those hooked up to my back when the doctor was wanting the bone graft to heal quicker, only.....it was about the size of an electric razor and used drycell batteries and caused a continuous very small electrical current to flow through the bone tissue. The bone tissue will heal about twice as fast with the electrical current or so the doc says. I can't imagine having tht thing on a cart and dragging it around everywhere I went for six weeks! The one I had had a half life built in and after it expired it would shut itself off and couldn't be reactivated. It sold for a little over $7,000.00!! What a deal! ::) Monty

koldkanuck

Jul 1, 2008
mojjax said:
I got this thing in a free pile on the side of the road yesterday . It is about the size of a small foot locker and weighs 30 - 40 pounds . I guess it's a 'quack' medical device . I reluctantly plugged it in and pulled the main switch - nothing happened til I started moving the selector knob - the lights in the room went dim - bright blue sparks appeared between the gap thingies with a very loud crackling noise . The side compartment has lots of accessories -wires , probes , gauze bandage stuff , thin lead plates , etc . I wish it had directions with it .

mojjax
Maybe you can download a manual online

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread