Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I assume you mean black sand as being heavy on the minerals. For this type environment, and the wet sand I assume is salt water wet, you need a PI (Pulse Induction) machine. I am not familiar with the machine you are suggesting but I assume you have researched it and know. The PI machine I use and like is the Garrett Infinium LS. Killer machine on bad sand.

If the Minelab sovereign GT is a PI, then it is just up to you to make sure that the machine has features you like and will use. Just remember the learning curve is steep and tall.

Daryl

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
I would say Minelab Excalibur for the beach. My brother in law had a detector that was not waterproof and was detecting a beach. He laid it down to dig and an unexpected wave came in and fried his machine. He now uses an Excalibur.

Maybee Sandman will chime in on the subject, as he is probably one of the most knowledgable about beach hunting. I am a relative newbie and Sandman has answered many questions for me.
Bob

T

TreasureTales

First let me say I know nothing about Minelabs. I do know, however, that technology is changing all the time, so why lock yourself into thinking a Minelab Sovereign GT is the way to go when you won't be able to buy one for a year and a half? What I mean is this, save your money and have a total amount in mind to spend on a detector, then when you have saved the money do some research and see if the Minelab Sovereign GT is still the one you want. In a year and a half you might discover that detectors have changed exponentially and that some other make and model is better for your needs. Or you might learn that the Sovereign is still the one you want, but it costs more due to price increases.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I definitely have to agree with treasuretales on this one. Don't lock yourself into a purchase now, when you won't actually be buying for another year. Save up the money... pick a number. When you get to that goal, then seriously consider what is on the market in your price range.

Like TT said... technology is changing all the time. Keep checking the reviews here, keep asking questions, and you'll be able to narrow down what you need/want. But, before you buy, go check out a detector at your local hobby shop. See how it functions, and how it works, etc. It is always helpful to have someone near you that you can bounce an idea or two off of if you get stuck. Depending on where you live, there is very likely a member of this forum relatively close by, who will gladly travel to let you test drive a machine.

After taking your "preferred model" for a test drive, you might find that you hate the way it fits your hand, or balances, or the display... whereas another model that you didn't consider literally fits you perfectly.

steve

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
strike it rich,

"saving", good move. ;)

Keep looking;

"it will prob take 1 1/2 years to save."
New machines will be coming out in that
time period. Keep your options open.