I Want to Live In Puerto Rico

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
PRO
1. in last 4 years it hasn't been cooler than 66 and no hotter than 99 in my area
2. no snow to shovel
3. most grass only needs cut 1 time a month
4.chicas
5.lots of beachs that see few md'ers
6.boating and fishing
7.food
8.any sizable store in the US, is here
9.gardening can go on year round
10. 500 years of history

CON
1.its an island, travel is somewhat limited in a car
2.culture shock , things are done differently here
3.crime , almost 1,000 have been murdered this year, most were drug related or domestic abuse
4. Shipping costs from the US to here can be high
5.its hard to tell what month it is by looking out the window
6.Traffic can be a nightmare
7.rain can come at anytime, does not matter that 10 minutes ago there wasn't a cloud in the sky
8. Hurricanes
9. electric and water and cable tv services are not exactly perfect, all local tv is in spanish...except for a few pbs shows
10. The bugs can be huge

I have lived here for almost 4 years now and I am comfortable here, I am still not even close to being fluent and quite a few here speak english well. I watch all the same tv here as I did in the States and go to the movies and they are in english and trip to wal mart here looks just like it does there.Other than language you would be hard pressed to tell that you were not in the US.It is a beautiful place, and the people have for the most part been very good to me, excepting the kids that used to drive by after school and yell" gringo go home", I haven't had any problems lol.I live on the north shore in the middle of the isle and not in a tourist area, I like it here and have no plans to go back to the US other than to visit. if you have any specific questions just ask here or pm me

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Savant, why do you want to live in PR?

just curious. it is a big move I would think for most.

I went on vacation a long time ago. Visited all the islands by sail boat etc. What I did was pure tourist and it was absolutely wonderful and beautiful. Can't help ya tho with true local living.

but my feeling would be, go for it if you truly want a change and island life is for you.

Allan wrote a great thread of pros and cons...but geez, if walmart is the same there, who wouldn't move :laughing9: :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to PR plenty of times, and it's not much different from the Bronx, except for the weather. I'm surprised that Allan different that mall that goes skyward :laughing7: My ex wife and here family are from there and no good home was without a mature avocado tree, or 2. There is nothing like swatting down a fresh avocado.

Here are some other difference

1- Press #2 for English
2- Road side food stands by beaches... Note: They don't look the cleanest, but the food is great, fresh and very reasonably priced.. I never got sick, then again I have an iron stomach...
3- Like Allan said chicas, chicas, chicas :tongue3:
4- Plenty of interesting sites to visit... natural hot spring, phosphorus ocean, EL Junke sic a beautiful rain forest.
5- voting.. You may have to send a mail in ballot, PR cannot vote for presidential elections

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
FarmerChick said:
Savant, why do you want to live in PR?

just curious. it is a big move I would think for most.

I went on vacation a long time ago. Visited all the islands by sail boat etc. What I did was pure tourist and it was absolutely wonderful and beautiful. Can't help ya tho with true local living.

but my feeling would be, go for it if you truly want a change and island life is for you.

Allan wrote a great thread of pros and cons...but geez, if walmart is the same there, who wouldn't move :laughing9: :laughing9:

Mid life crisis I guess, I have lived in the midwest most of my life and I'm ready for a change. I've seen enough snow and ice to last me for the rest of my life.

Allen, can you get satellite TV like directtv or dish network in english there?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
Allen, can you get satellite TV like directtv or dish network in english there?

You can actually get Cable TV there.... But you'll need a really long coaxial cable :laughing9:

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
Yes on the DTV , dish and the cable here is from the states with a few spanish channels thrown in,I watch the same shows at the same time as I did there. Don't forget pinchos and fresh pan, manatees , bio-luminescent surf , most beachs are free of pesky lifeguards lol and beer is ok on most. Prices are reasonable outside the tourist areas The Mall of America is HUGE and we have a Krispy Kreme not too far away that has a waiting line out the door most days after 3 and the drive thru can get backed up a few hundred yards out into the parking lol

here is a link to a few pics I have taken, yes all the plants grow in my yard :hello2: https://picasaweb.google.com/105383933354451703206/PuertoRicoPics?authkey=Gv1sRgCKW31eDh07my7wE#

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread