New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A lock and a key found together. The key was turning in the lock, maybe with a little oil and help from a hammer I might get it to work again. I found all this stuff from a two hour yard hunt.

Enjoy the pix, I'm still looking for that magic yard, yesterday I got three no's and one,"my husband and son both metal detect" that makes a grand total of ten houses that I have knocked on the door that the owners metal detect also, it does not count the numerous people I have met that have a friend that does it too.

Is it me /my area or just that is how it is all over the USA?

Upvote 3

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been getting an extraordinary amount of "Yeses" the last 4 months, but it doesn't make it any easier for me. I have to make myself get out and knock.

What I do when I start losing my MOJO or start feeling hurt is knock on business's doors. I very rarely get turned down when I go to a business.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting an extraordinary amount of "Yeses" the last 4 months, but it doesn't make it any easier for me. I have to make myself get out and knock.

What I do when I start losing my MOJO or start feeling hurt is knock on business's doors. I very rarely get turned down when I go to a business.

That gives me a few good ideas, thanks for the comment. What would really help would be a CTX 3030 ha lol

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That gives me a few good ideas, thanks for the comment. What would really help would be a CTX 3030 ha lol

I've seen posts where folks ask if they should get an Etrac, AT Pro, etc., and then they state that later they are planning to "upgrade" to a CTX. I always suggest that they "cut to the chase" and get the detector that they want and be done with it. I slowly upgraded because I was learning detectors. I wouldn't trade the learning for anything, but I lost money wheeling and dealing in detectors.

Yesterday seems I drove for 2 hours total. Stopped at a house that I had permission and then drove to another town to check out another house. I came home with 2 old nickels, 2 wheat pennies and a marble. Hardly worth it. I was a little disheartened thinking about how difficult it is to find places to detect, but then realized how much it means to have permission at just one place and how I really go out of my way to make it there. One day, I will start at one house and completely knock on every door and try and get permission all down the road. I tried it once on a street, but kept being told that they were renting the house, or no one was home. After the 8th house, I got tired and went back to a house that I had permission on.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Great finds! Thanks for sharing...

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Pointman, I find that the hardest part knocking on doors (other then feeling like the vacuum salesman) Finding people at home. Even knowing what I know now about detectors, spending over 2 k is next to impossible for me. When it gets warmer I'll be hunting in the water looking for gold and diamonds. Maybe I'll get lucky enough to find some to help upgrade to the machine I want (CTX 3030) Its hard for me to switch where I'm hunting, I still enjoy finding a stray Merc or Walker.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds! Hope you find the box the lock was on!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I hope so too, its fun finding all this stuff, I enjoyed digging up the watch and that lock had me laughing out loud. I really have been wanting to find the lock and key together, I just knew it would happen.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 80s I used to find lots of goodies on the parking strip between the sidewalk and the street that belongs to the city, that the owner has the privilege of maintaining! If the lawn looked well cared for! I left it alone and only hit the shabby unkept lawns and was never bothered... Anymore tho I am not so bold... I have heard you are invisible with a white hard hat and an orange vest! People think you work for a utility! As for asking permission I must be too friggen ugly... Always turned down!

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't bother with mass door knocking. I do enough walking with my MD, I'm not about to do more without it.

Networking seems to work for me. After we made Digging History with a website and some business cards, getting access to places got a lot easier. I carry the cards with me when I'm out hunting parks and whatnot, and people interested enough to ask if I've found anything get a smile, some brief conversation about typical finds, and a card with the suggestion that they give me a call if they're curious what might be in their yard.

Something else I do is associate myself with the local history society. I let the council know that I'm an MD hobbyist and I'd love to find stuff for their local history collection. Believe it or not, you will find more stuff you can keep for yourself than you would ostensibly donate to the society. This bolsters your credibility for door knocking, because instead of "Hi, I'm Joe Schmoe and I was wondering if I can metal detect in your yard" you can say something like "Good afternoon, my name is Jason Jones with the Local History Society, we have highlighted your property in our research to potentially contain artifacts of historic significance to our area, and I am here to request permission to do some surveying to see if any artifacts may be recovered." People appreciate professionalism, even if it's with a shovelful of bullshit.

In regards to public areas with vague regulations about impacts to wildlife, if someone calls the cops, the investigating officer will also receive a business card and a brief statement about what I hope to accomplish by MDing there. If you give the impression you intend to donate even just one thing out of the pile you dig, you can justify your presence and unless the guy is a real dick he'll likely leave you alone. I try to incorporate a short history lesson into these conversations because it makes it seem like you know your stuff. Usually the "lesson" is on the history of the area, or of something I found there recently. If nothing comes to mind and you're grasping at snippets for conversation, offer to allow the officer to try your MD himself.

:thumbsup: :metaldetector:

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
That's often the case in my area. In one instance, the owners of a property I was checking into said they themselves didn't hunt, but that "they knew what was there" and they wouldn't allow anyone else in, even after an offer to split any finds.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's often the case in my area. In one instance, the owners of a property I was checking into said they themselves didn't hunt, but that "they knew what was there" and they wouldn't allow anyone else in, even after an offer to split any finds.

Where I grew up that meant someone was buried in the backyard, lol

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After finding that Brincks Lock & Key you can go back and see if the Brincks Armored Car is buried near by, those things have about 500,000 coins in them!:3barsgold:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's cool Brad! My buddy Dan and I also found 2 sets of matching locks and keys in an early trash pit earlier this season. Its nice when you can do that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread