What's new

I was wondering.......

Marking coins is looked down upon here. But for marking the wrapper is ideal. :thumbsup:
 
That's a no-no because there are collectors that might want the coin. Also, it doesn't help you, the CRH at all.
To answer your question, yes there are a few inconsiderate CRH'ers that do it and you will find red Kennedy's, red marks in the ear on the obverse, etc.
If you re-wrap your coins, its okay to mark the wrapper.
 
....and I was just wondering? What do you plan to accomplish by doing this?

By the way if you are caught marking your dump rolls with terms such as "64" "walker" "bens" etc you will have the Bicenteniall curse sent upon by every CRHer known and unknown from across this great country.

good luck in these lean silver times
 
Well I have to confess, I never did until the last boxes I got, forgive me :(, but the way I did, was to take a brown sharpie and run a faint line down the edge, not on the obverse or the reverse of the coin, and to my suspicion, the next boxes I got had about 60% of the coins I marked, so it tells me that I got back 60% of my dumps :( .....I agree, to mark a coin on the face is bad voodoo

...and as far as just marking the paper rolls, that doesn't work for me, because the banks don't keep 'em, several tellers have told me, when I asked 'em what they do with 'em, they all said they take 'em out of the rolls, bag 'em and turn 'em in to the car company, so they don't keep 'em
 
Piercesdad said:
....and I was just wondering? What do you plan to accomplish by doing this?

By the way if you are caught marking your dump rolls with terms such as "64" "walker" "bens" etc you will have the Bicenteniall curse sent upon by every CRHer known and unknown from across this great country.

good luck in these lean silver times

What's accomplished?
If you see your "special" mark, you don't even open the rolls. They go straight to the dump bank.

I learned to recognize other people's mark on the wrappers too. When I see those, I won't open them except to kill time and look for NIFC or 1987's.
 
Not a brown sharpie!!!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
 
taropatch said:
Piercesdad said:
....and I was just wondering? What do you plan to accomplish by doing this?

By the way if you are caught marking your dump rolls with terms such as "64" "walker" "bens" etc you will have the Bicenteniall curse sent upon by every CRHer known and unknown from across this great country.

good luck in these lean silver times

What's accomplished?
If you see your "special" mark, you don't even open the rolls. They go straight to the dump bank.

I learned to recognize other people's mark on the wrappers too. When I see those, I won't open them except to kill time and look for NIFC or 1987's.

ALL the rolls I get are machine wrapped, unfortunately I've never gotten hand rolls, they just don't exist around this neck of the woods, or at the least Extremely rare.....so looking for a "special" mark on the wrapper doesn't apply
 
Piercesdad said:
Not a brown sharpie!!!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

The rationale behind a brown sharpie, is it's hardly noticeable, I've gotten marked coins before, with big black check marks and red check marks on the face, and I think it's no good....brown blends in, without blatantly defacing the coin, and it gives me feedback as to wether or not I'm searching my own dumps
 
Whoa Patch!

Feel free to write on your roll wrappers. JUST DO NOT MARK COINS. feel free to Keith, Brian, Mike, Trevor, or even Jack your coins, just dont MARK your coins.

sorry I've been drinking out of a mason jar all night
 
justa lol applle pie shine
 
Yes, I mark my coins. I drill a hole starting at the neck of
the Eagle and don't stop until the drill bit reaches the the
outer point of the stars.

The funny thing is I never get them back. :tard:
 
mistergee said:
here we go again........ :BangHead:

I've even seen proofs and NIFCs marked. Even if you don't collect them, try being considerate of others; for many on this forum do collect those obscure coins.

Everyone repeat after me:

"Mark the wrapper, not the coin".

Have a good weekend all.
 
No way am I gonna get sucked into THIS debate again!! My view has been well established.
Piercesdad and his "shine" cracked me up! Careful there....you'll start missing the good 'uns!
- Grizz
 
hey don't forget about the "Elvis halves" I found awhile back, wonder if anyone else got them, after I dumped em
 
taropatch said:
Piercesdad said:
....and I was just wondering? What do you plan to accomplish by doing this?

By the way if you are caught marking your dump rolls with terms such as "64" "walker" "bens" etc you will have the Bicenteniall curse sent upon by every CRHer known and unknown from across this great country.

good luck in these lean silver times

What's accomplished?
If you see your "special" mark, you don't even open the rolls. They go straight to the dump bank.

I learned to recognize other people's mark on the wrappers too. When I see those, I won't open them except to kill time and look for NIFC or 1987's.

thats a ridiculous way of searching. everyone whom CRH knows that wrappers get reused all the time. I have pulled silver out of many "marked" rolls before.
Hell ive even pulled silver out of my own "marked rolls" like a month later and like 5 towns over.
Rule of thumb. Neveerr assume there is no silver in the rolls reguardless of what the marking is,

and as far as the rolls being marked 64, walker, ben. i have done that many times b/c it gets done to me. Nice way to discourage a big hunter in your area.
 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO not this topic AGAAAAIIINNNNNNN.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Must... distract.... self.... read a book! :icon_study: .... drink coffee :coffee2: ...

ahhh coin marking!

~Dave
 
ugotit22 said:
taropatch said:
Piercesdad said:
....and I was just wondering? What do you plan to accomplish by doing this?

By the way if you are caught marking your dump rolls with terms such as "64" "walker" "bens" etc you will have the Bicenteniall curse sent upon by every CRHer known and unknown from across this great country.

good luck in these lean silver times

What's accomplished?
If you see your "special" mark, you don't even open the rolls. They go straight to the dump bank.

I learned to recognize other people's mark on the wrappers too. When I see those, I won't open them except to kill time and look for NIFC or 1987's.

thats a ridiculous way of searching. everyone whom CRH knows that wrappers get reused all the time. I have pulled silver out of many "marked" rolls before.
Hell ive even pulled silver out of my own "marked rolls" like a month later and like 5 towns over.
Rule of thumb. Neveerr assume there is no silver in the rolls reguardless of what the marking is,

and as far as the rolls being marked 64, walker, ben. i have done that many times b/c it gets done to me. Nice way to discourage a big hunter in your area.


I can only speak of how it's done around my parts, I have to re-roll, my banks won't accept loose coins, and there are no coin counters available, so what I've been told,at several banks, I dump, they have to tear down all the rolls and bag 'em, the car company won't take rolled coins, they have to be in bags....so my roll wrappers Don't get re-used, and since all the banks around here never have customer hand rolls, I order, and those come in your standard $500 machine wrapped boxes, and the way I marked my coins, if you weren't looking for it, you'd probably not notice it
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom