What's new

I Went To The Philly Mint

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
Joined
May 16, 2007
Messages
2,494
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
While I was in Philadelphia I went to the US Mint and took a tour of it. The building takes up a whole block. It was pretty cool. One side had the machines that stamped the planchets. The other side stamped the coins. There was a small area that made medals one at a time. I bought a medal of the first President I ever voted for, Tricky Dick Nixon. It was the first year 18 year olds could vote in CA. I also bought a magnet and pen that lights up for the wife. They don't make proofs so I didn't see any coins from there I wanted. No camera's allowed inside.
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_44.webp
    ScreenHunter_44.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 425
  • ScreenHunter_45.webp
    ScreenHunter_45.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 404
  • ScreenHunter_40.webp
    ScreenHunter_40.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 348
  • ScreenHunter_41.webp
    ScreenHunter_41.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 398
  • ScreenHunter_42.webp
    ScreenHunter_42.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 418
  • ScreenHunter_43.webp
    ScreenHunter_43.webp
    39.7 KB · Views: 418
Upvote 0
Ju8vP3t said:
Is that a Bronze of Tricky Dick? ......."I'm not a Crook"
-Tricky Dick Nixon

I believe he said "I AM NOT A CROOK" LOL

Mojo
 
I went there as a kid...probly 1985, I got some little coin from the one at a time machine and some old remade confederate notes.
Do they still have the solid gold bars on display in the coin stamp room (behind THICK glass)...I remember drooling over them even then!
Philly is a heck of a town...1 minute your in wonder from a historical standpoint and the next you WONDER "What the hell am I doin in this hole?"
 
Nice SF. I'd love to tour a mint.
 
jersey devl said:
I went there as a kid...probly 1985, I got some little coin from the one at a time machine and some old remade confederate notes.
Do they still have the solid gold bars on display in the coin stamp room (behind THICK glass)...I remember drooling over them even then!
Philly is a heck of a town...1 minute your in wonder from a historical standpoint and the next you WONDER "What the hell am I doin in this hole?"
No gold bars dang it. I loved Philly. Most the stuff fin CA is only from the late 1800's. The history in that town is awesome. I love all the old buildings, even in the projects. It looked like good MDing there.
 
LJ said:
Nice SF. I'd love to tour a mint.
If you ever get over to Reno, go to the Carson City mint. Lots of history.
 
GPURS said:
LJ said:
Nice SF. I'd love to tour a mint.
You must feel like you tour a mint every day when you walk through your house ;D ;D!! Good luck,, Gpurs...
LOL, good one Gpurs..............LOL :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom