Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I Went To The "Roadshow"

The treasure hunters "Roadshow" comes to our area about 4 times a year. Mostly they're looking for rare coins and gold (aren't we all?).

I went yesterday and the place was so packed I gave up. I didn't want to stand for 2 hours.

I went early today and there were only about a dozen ahead of me.

I've always wondered what these places pay and how well they check your goods.

Here's what I heard:

1. My large gold crown $6. I was told these are only 6K and basically a dentist ripoff. It costs about $8 to make one, the caster sells it to the doctor for ca. $40, and the doc sells it to you for $400-$600+ (not counting the $1000 for the root canal). I found that easy to believe. Years ago my son was on a trip into Russia and had to have emergency dental work. They did a lot of work and the total bill was under $30 US. The work was great, by the way. They sugggested I just keep it and wait until my other 3 get pulled. So I kept it.

2. They don't mess with any gold jewelry not stamped 10K, 14K, etc. Then they'll bother to do the acid test to make a final offer.

3. They'd give me $1 for my genuine Art Deco sterling silver ring but suggested I sell it on ebay for $20-$40.

I found them to be pretty honest and I believe what they told me. I was rather impressed. They didn't try to take me. They even told me how to check out my old paintings without going through them (for free).

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Re: I Went To The "Roadshow"

I have always been a little leery of these things, but it sounds like you found some honest folks Badger.

Thanks for sharing and if you want those other teeth removed just come to Ohio on game day!

I'm kidding of course!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I went to the gold show here in Ohio this spring. Here is what they told me. I had 10 grams of gold jewerly, a bust half, bust half dime, 1 Morgan dollar, 2 quarter, and 4 dimes. They offer me $130 I told them no I guess I will keep them. then he offer me $150 I still said no he then said I will go $185 I told him maybe next time and I gather up my stuff and left......Matt

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks for the tip about Ohio, WindHarvester. There are days when I'd just as soon get rid of these teeth any way. ;D

Ya mlayers these guys are looking for as big of a profit as possible. He wanted to tripple his investment or more.

Stickmarsh

May 17, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur & Sovereign

Badger, Do you have any information you can share about "how to check out my old paintings without going through them (for free)." ? Stickmarsh

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Stickmarsh said:
Badger, Do you have any information you can share about "how to check out my old paintings without going through them (for free)." ? Stickmarsh

Sure, always glad to help anyone here at TNet.

The place is Heritage Auction Galleries and you find in by putting ha.com into your browser search.

I sent in 3 items (their pictures & descriptions) yesterday. I hear it takes up to two weeks for a reply.

The site has a form you fill out, include a picture or two, and email to them (wait in line).

I have an old oil painting dated 1740 (I think) I've always wondered about. Maybe I can now retire? ;D

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

I went to "the show" a couple of years ago with a friend. They were buying at about 50% (or less) of item value. They were honest and upfront about that. I went home, grabbed some coins/jewelry/stuff I didn't want. Cleaned everything, bagged & priced my items. (Took what I paid for them, doubled that figure, and put the price on my items.) Headed back the next day. Got my turn in front of the appraiser and he asked me the usual questions. I told him I bought the stuff at various garage sales, but needed some more cash now. Those guys didn't even argue with me about price- they offered me half of what was on the price tag. I basically sold my stuff for what I paid for it. Everybody parted happy!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Arizona Bob you did well. They're in business to make money so I guess we can't blame them there.

About the Heritage free appraisal link I posted above. They did get back to me on my items but they say all are duds. I find it hard to believe a painting dated 1840 is a complete dud so I'll seek a second opinion.

I also noticed that they don't seem to have a very good data base for signature research. My guess is they're mostly looking for the obvious and easy fast money makers. That's just my take on it.

I just wanted to warn others to get a second opinion if you have a "gut" feeling your item might be of some significant value.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread