I would buy a detector that works under the general premise of a Pinpointer......

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I generally never advocate anything, but I just realized what I like most about the ATX............
Never mind........

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently discovered my Whites TRX pinpointer is actually more sensitive than my AT Pro. The TRX is also deeper than my vintage Bounty hunter. But the whites guys cant hunt the trash like my F75, go figure.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently discovered my Whites TRX pinpointer is actually more sensitive than my AT Pro. The TRX is also deeper than my vintage Bounty hunter. But the whites guys cant hunt the trash like my F75, go figure.

There is no doubt at all that if you permanently activated and duct taped any of the 3 best pinpointers to the end of a 4 foot broom handle you could easily outperform half of the most popular brands out there. No doubt at all......

And then the little boy said, BUT father, the king is not wearing a SUIT OF GOLD.... "The king is all together but all together as naked as the day that he was born.....

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I rather use my detector which goes deeper than a pinpointer, I also use it in 4H tones so that I can tell better identify the type of metal I am swinging over. Heck the El Cheapo detector I started with could go 6-8" deep and also had 3 tone ID. That detector cost me about the same as a garrett pro pointer. You go with your setup, it's your right, but I will continue to use my setup. Just think I will be able to better pinpoint my target than you will with 3 pin pointers taped on your witches ride.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I rather use my detector which goes deeper than a pinpointer, I also use it in 4H tones so that I can tell better identify the type of metal I am swinging over. Heck the El Cheapo detector I started with could go 6-8" deep and also had 3 tone ID. That detector cost me about the same as a garrett pro pointer. You go with your setup, it's your right, but I will continue to use my setup. Just think I will be able to better pinpoint my target than you will with 3 pin pointers taped on your witches ride.

Yeah, but $10,000 later you will still only have half a jar full of zinc pennies, a garage full of garbage that you never use, will still look like that guy in the picture who has posted seven posts a day each and every day for a year, and needlessly have to carry a GPS.......

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, but $10,000 later you will still only have half a jar full of zinc pennies, a garage full of garbage that you never use, will still look like that guy in the picture who has posted seven posts a day each and every day for a year, and needlessly have to carry a GPS.......

I beg to differ. My 1st detector paid for itself and I then sold it to my brother-in-law for a $40 profit. The F4 paid for itself in 3 months and I sold it to a fellow Tneter for $225 profit. This season I have dug 3 coins that value at a low ball estimate of $1500.00 and have also pulled a nice heavy gold pocket watch that should be worth about $500 in gold value. Face value of coins dug in the past 16 months is approx. $790.00. The times I am hunting are priceless and I have made many friends of the town I reside by offering them relics or coins dug on their property.

I have no idea where your GPS comment comes from. I am old school and use a compass, my pace count and map when necessary.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I beg to differ. My 1st detector paid for itself and I then sold it to my brother-in-law for a $40 profit. The F4 paid for itself in 3 months and I sold it to a fellow Tneter for $225 profit. This season I have dug 3 coins that value at a low ball estimate of $1500.00 and have also pulled a nice heavy gold pocket watch that should be worth about $500 in gold value. Face value of coins dug in the past 16 months is approx. $790.00. The times I am hunting are priceless and I have made many friends of the town I reside by offering them relics or coins dug on their property.

I have no idea where your GPS comment comes from. I am old school and use a compass, my pace count and map when necessary.

I'm joking. Unbelievable.
Do you actually think I seriously suggested duct taping a pinpointer to a broom stick? Honestly?

What is the matter with you?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My pinpointer IS my detector (Sunray Fx-1 on a F-75). It's just a switchable 1" coil.

I do wonder, though. If a pinpointer signals for an object over 2" away is it really pinpointing it, or are you still simply detecting? ;-)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even use a pinpointer. The pinpoint feature on my ACE 250 works great. I rarely dig a hole bigger than my fist. After I flip up the plug, I scoop out the dirt and place it in a small plastic bin, which is resting on my overturned coil. As soon as I toss the relic or coin into my bin, the detector goes off. Simple way to find the item and it keeps the grass nice and neat with no mess.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm joking. Unbelievable.
Do you actually think I seriously suggested duct taping a pinpointer to a broom stick? Honestly?

What is the matter with you?

You are the one who posted the statement, as previously requested already, please end the rudeness and condescending tones in your posts...

There is no doubt at all that if you permanently activated and duct taped any of the 3 best pinpointers to the end of a 4 foot broom handle you could easily outperform half of the most popular brands out there. No doubt at all......

And then the little boy said, BUT father, the king is not wearing a SUIT OF GOLD.... "The king is all together but all together as naked as the day that he was born.....

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't even use a pinpointer. The pinpoint feature on my ACE 250 works great. I rarely dig a hole bigger than my fist. After I flip up the plug, I scoop out the dirt and place it in a small plastic bin, which is resting on my overturned coil. As soon as I toss the relic or coin into my bin, the detector goes off. Simple way to find the item and it keeps the grass nice and neat with no mess.

Most pinpointers have a smoothness to them. A very predictable steadfast quality in the way they detect metal objects.
I realized after I started writing, that perhaps that is what partially attracted me to the detector I've been using. It features a series of LED's that very steadfastly activate in increasing tandem sequence according to target proximity.

I was joking about the duct tape and the broomhandle, but I sincerely agree with Casca in that the industry puts out such poor quality gimmick packed products, that certain pinpointers could quite possibly outperform (detect) many modern detectors.
By the way, the pinpointers are largely waterproof now, LOL

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a whole bunch of new detectors with new features that sellers call gimmicks. The simplicity of the new pin pointers are really easy to use. I crawl up under play equipment and bleachers around large metal. the metal detector will pick up on the large iron. But a pin pointer under the large iron will pull coins and rings all day long that way. I have attached my pin pointer on a stick with black tape or nylon cord for deep holes. I also do better searching walls with a pin pointer in tight places. I do think sensitivity is as important as iron discrimination.......stopping there. I was surprised at how well the Whites picks up on small items. I hate getting a signal and it disappears. I know its small, but most times those are small silver or gold items. It all adds up. Now the pin point feature on my detectors is very deeeeeep. So the OP's post doesnt account for that. There is no right or wrong, its like posted before, its what you want to run. Have fun guys, play with it, and get some detecting in afterwards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions