What's new

I Wouldnt Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

Half-Hound

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
I Wouldn't Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

Recently a member posted a message about having a WONDERFUL day. An (elderly ?) woman recently widowed had cashed in at a Wells Fargo bank $100 worth of halves that her late husband had been saving (Isn't that sad?).

This "favorite teller" had saved the halves for three days for this member. The teller KNEW the coins were silver. The member "honored" her "customer service work" by giving her about $30 worth of meal coupons, causing the teller to become "ecstatic." (WOW This type of customer service "works out for both of them.")

I guess I'm too old-fashioned but I would have liked to have read that this teller took time to explain to the widow that over a third of the coins in her late husband's collection were silver and worth more than face value. Possibly suggest an alternative buyer. I know, I'm just an old fool.

Other members replied this is a "win-win" situation, and they would really like to have a teller like that! I would like to have a teller that saved coins for me, too. But I wouldn't want to be married to a woman like this favorite teller.

I think I'm a Half-Hound with a heart, not a Half-Hog.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I Wouldn't Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

Half-Hound,
You make a good and fair point. Sometimes I (speaking just for myself) get so wrapped up in wanting to find silver that I forget where it came from.


apush :read2:
 
Re: I Wouldn't Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

Half-Hound said:
Recently a member posted a message about having a WONDERFUL day. An (elderly ?) woman recently widowed had cashed in at a Wells Fargo bank $100 worth of halves that her late husband had been saving (Isn't that sad?).

This "favorite teller" had saved the halves for three days for this member. The teller KNEW the coins were silver. The member "honored" her "customer service work" by giving her about $30 worth of meal coupons, causing the teller to become "ecstatic." (WOW This type of customer service "works out for both of them.")

I guess I'm too old-fashioned but I would have liked to have read that this teller took time to explain to the widow that over a third of the coins in her late husband's collection were silver and worth more than face value. Possibly suggest an alternative buyer. I know, I'm just an old fool.

Other members replied this is a "win-win" situation, and they would really like to have a teller like that! I would like to have a teller that saved coins for me, too. But I wouldn't want to be married to a woman like this favorite teller.

I think I'm a Half-Hound with a heart, not a Half-Hog.
If you don't want her, I'll take her! lol! j/k, ffd
 
Re: I Wouldn't Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

So, we're saying were all heartless half-hogs now?

So glad to have you as a moral compass. ::)

Yep, we all must be horrible people to engage in this ghoulish hobby that we only benefit when someone dies and or someone is incredibly short sighted. I'm sure there are plenty of terrible antecedents that led to silver coins being trays and vaults although there may not be. This lady KNEW it was silver. KNEW it was worth more. DIDN'T care. Do I understand her behavior? Not at all. I have friends and loved ones that think I'm bat shit crazy for CRHing and cold calling tellers. They have even given me some silver coins even though I told them the worth. Who's crazy, I dunno. People place worth in the oddest of things.
 
Re: I Wouldn't Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

wtf? so just quit this hobby and move on then
 
Re: I Wouldn't Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

In a perfect world I think you are correct. However, in this lawsuit happy place we call home, banks are typically forbidden from giving financial advice about coins due to company policy. I have also seen several times where even though tellers will try to be nice and tell them that their coins would be worth much more at a business that specializes in coins, the customer does not wish to make the extra effort or insists that they would get burned by that type of business and instead opts to get burned by accepting face value (lucky for us). I happened to be at bank where someone like this was going to cash in a collection at face and when she me carting my boxes out, decided to allow me to view the collection and I paid her melt value for which she was very happy. I am happy as well since melt at that time was around $13/oz. Just my .02 ymmv and HH all.
 
Re: I Wouldn't Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

This is an age-old question. Is it wrong to purchase an item from someone for far less than its worth? I don't think there is truely a correct answer. For example if you happened upon a painting by Van Gogh at a yard sale priced at $20, would you buy it or tell the seller that it may be worth millions? I'm certainly not a "good" enough person to tell. I'd snatch it up in an instant and head for the nearest auction house. Is that wrong? I honestly don't know. In my humble opinion, it is the seller's responsibility to know what they have and price it accordingly.
 
Re: I Wouldn't Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

if the teller "knows" for a fact their silver coins ( say they can clearly see them rather than just being in closed rolls or they were told by the person thats dropped them off its a old silver collection , and thus much worth more than "face" value )-- i would say a banks "ethics" clause should kick in --( ie your not to knowingly take "fiscal advange" of customers , because its both morally and legally wrong to do so) * however once "informed" if the customer insist that they still complete the deal (trade out silver for "paper money or "take it in for deposit" --oh well they were told --( at times you can not save a fool from themselves -- yes i've seen exactly that occur ), well so be it .

fair is fair -- they were told , and they did not care and did it any way. -- so their loss is my gain.

if i see you about to grab a bared "hot" electrical wire and warn you --"do not do that its live and dangerous" and you look at me and grab it any way --whos to blame?
 
Re: I Wouldn't Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

Ive been lucky enough to intervene twice when someone was giving a bank silver coins. The first the lady refused to listen and insisted on getting her 10 dollars for a roll of halves so i offered her 20 and she took it. Yes 20$ is cheap, but its still twice what she wanted and what she was still going to take when i told her. The 2nd time an older gentleman was cashing in about 20$ in random junk silver. The teller told him its worth more, he said he didnt care. I talked him into going into the pawn shop across the street to at least get more than face value. The pawnshop guy told him the dimes and quartes were worth barely over face value and the morgan dollars were worth 3 bucks. The older man asked me my opinion and i told him id rather take face value at teh bank than get robbed like that. He offered it to me for 50$. I gave him 100$ and both of us were thrilled. I had 0 intention of buying his silver, but one way or another this guy was going to get robbed if i did not.

Some people if you didnt read the story would have considered this deal greedy and immoral. I guess my point is you cant judge a person or an action without knowing the whole story. And i assure you, you dont get a whole story on this forum.
 
Re: I Wouldn't Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

i feel no guilt cuz i donno where my silver is coming from, cuz i usually only get boxes, and who knows how it ends up there! but as far as hand wrapped, i think that if the customer didnt care enough to research the coins, and whatnot, they obviously dont care about making any profit above face...case and point, my sister said she would save a half dollar if she got one, but would spend wheat pennies, and silver coins anyday, cuz they mean nothing to her...and she also throws her pennies away, so i told here to bring me here change (in a jar of some sort), and i would give her $$$ for her coins, so she said ok :laughing7: now i can just run it thru my coin machine, and then pick out the silver/goodies if any :laughing9:, so i guess it all depends on the person, some people care, some dont. :dontknow: so u can only say to ur self "dont know the story, but its a profit on my part". so keep it up and hh!
 
Re: I Wouldn't Want To Be Married To A Woman Like That Favorite Teller

Oh Boy .... Can of worms here.

On many occasions on this board members have reported that tellers accepted and saved them coins that they knew had value.

I am less disturbed by the teller who turns over the coins to another customer than by those who do it for personal gain such as the one I talked to today. A little old lady came to her window with 15 silver dollars from the late 1800's and where in some sort of case, She said, she was asking the teller what they were worth and she quickly told the lady $1 apiece and before the lady hit the door she quickly bought them out of her till. She was telling me how much she likes it when people bring in valuable coins and that it was the best part of her job.

To me this is immoral and if they inform them of their true vale and they still turn them over, so be it. But knowingly accepting them without trying to inform and keeping them is a crime. Taking advantage of someone when in a position of knowledge is wrong.

My story of the teller above is an example of a teller taking advantage of someone. Because the lady asked what they were worth. And the teller knew what they were worth, but told her they were only worth a dollar, so that she could buy them herself, is a fine example of this abuse of power.

Some may argue that it's not their job to appraise coins for people, but at the same time, if their Superior's had found out about her transaction she surly would loose her job.

When people place their trust in an institution, such as a bank, they are assuming that the bank can be trusted and treat them with respect and dignity. Not take advantage of them.

A little over a year ago there was a story that made it to the news of a teller who bought several $20 Gold coins knowingly. That teller was fired after he was found out. And the person that cashed them in actually stole them from a friends Father who never knew they were missing.

We debated that scenario on this forum. We discussed the many instances in which it would be considered wrong or immoral.

IMHO if coins were turned in wrapped and the blind transaction is compleated and it is later found out that the rolls contained older silver valuable coins than no harm done. Unless the person who tuned them in is a regular and can be contacted.

Finding coins in sealed boxes removes all moral obligation. Accepting a couple loose 40%'s would also be OK I suppose but if someone turns in coins in plastic cases or appear to be out of the norm I would expect a teller to inform. After all we do place a lot of trust in our banks and should expect them to behave in a trustworthy manner.

I cant' tell you how many times tellers laugh at me and say If I had any of those I would buy them myself. I would also go on to say that a MAJORITY of tellers cherry pick these days.

The only way silver makes it to CRH's is by virtue of loved ones of the dearly departed or thieves. And of course tellers that let them through. So if the coins are out there for the taking than we are out there to take them, and why not. If I don't get them someone else will. I do feel better when I know there is nothing I could do to right the wrong.

I kind of feel like I'm performing a service rescuing collectable coins from being used for commerce.

Mojo
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom