Id appreciate helping IDing these two HUGE marbles

awundrin

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd appreciate helping IDing these two HUGE marbles

Hi treasure hunters!

I found these two giant marbles in a bag of mixed marbles at a second hand store here in Sweden. The large striped marble is 4 inches in diameter and 12 inches around. The green marble is 3 inches in diameter and 'wobbles' when rolled.

I have been on a few marble forums but thus far have hit a dead end. I have however seen words like "rare", "unusual" and "awesome" used to describe the giant marble.

I'd appreciate any info/guesses anyone can give me about these two marbles.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing what you guys know!

Cindy big 4 inch marble in hand.jpg IMG_00000633.jpg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You didn't mention your state (or country) - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector.gif
3rd - Until someone pipes in - I search Ebay and found a bunch of large margles - take a look at: Large Marbles

OP
OP
A

awundrin

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You didn't mention your state (or country) - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector.gif
3rd - Until someone pipes in - I search Ebay and found a bunch of large margles - take a look at: Large Marbles

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize I could post according to country. I'm located in Sweden although I'm an American.

I have checked Ebay extensively but can't fine one this size (4" in diameter) that is like it. This looks like it came from an actual marble manufacturer as opposed to being made by a glass artist.

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
They look like they are contempory to me. But check out carpet balls while you are looking.Thay are not any kind of game marble

OP
OP
A

awundrin

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like they are contempory to me. But check out carpet balls while you are looking.Thay are not any kind of game marble

I've emailed a couple of marble experts and have gotten a few opinions. One guy said he thought they looked like they were made in Murano Italy around 1930 but most say they're nice comtempories and to look for tiny initials or signatures. I don't find any initials/signatures but will look closely when I locate my little magnifier. I'll check out the "carpet ball" suggestion too. Thank you!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
A

awundrin

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Surf,

All I can say after viewing those orbs/marbles is "Wow!" Amazingly stunning~ I will take some more photos of these two I have and put them here in a few minutes. I appreciate your help in IDing these! It's fun to learn so much! :)

OP
OP
A

awundrin

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some more pics of the two marbles.

IMG_00000681.jpg IMG_00000674.jpg IMG_00000677.jpg IMG_00000680.jpg IMG_00000672.jpg IMG_00000669.jpg IMG_00000670.jpg

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, modern.
Not The big one seems to be a marble made by a person newer to glass forming based on the simple pattern. I would think that the sheer mass of glass and the ENORMOUS cost in oxygen would come with a much more intricate pattern.
Only 1 could be seen as possibly having a Chinese influence while the other looks like a comet so it is up to you to be honest, on what to call it.
If you do go with some metaphysical cross between solar and Asian, the red would be Yin.
Either or, neat monster
The other is a Guinea influenced contemporary
Guineas are the pinnacle of Christensen's marbles to most collectors and are expensive in-relation to other marbles.

Here is a smaller,contemporary version of yours

mRuVgei7idCfFmtssCOmtBg.jpg

And here is an original

thumb_l304_1192659478.jpg

I would be rolling that big one all over my desk :)

OP
OP
A

awundrin

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gnome Punter,

Thank you for your input. The 3" green most one certainly does resemble the Christensen guinea a lot! I think you nailed it! :) The big 4" monster is shaping up to be quite the 'oddity' isn't it? I like your take on it. :)

Gnome Punter

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I am sure Duffy would have been in with the same input on the smaller one. I think the larger one will be up to each persons own perspective and will get ya more ideas than anything

Did you look at the bottom for initials and a year ? Some glass workers will sign their creations

OP
OP
A

awundrin

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I examined them closely and unfortunately there is no signature/initials on either. :)

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
the term used in handmades is contemporary...not many make em that big...i dont think chinese would...google contemporary
marbles glass wizards...get on their forum and ask there...a lot of artists go there and im sure you will find out more than i can offer....they are nice folks with tons of knowledge...i like them!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread