ID help for coin found yesterday...I think Charles II farthing 1672-1679

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a small find from yesterday. I got it with an old flat button and a musket ball near the wreckage of a very old boat on a salt water river. I already posted this it at the "What is it" forum, but haven't gotten much response.

The coin is copper, 21-22 mm diameter. I have it soaking and am hoping it will cleanup a little more, but as of now, I believe it is a Charles II farthing minted from 1672-1679.

I am sure it is valueless in and of itself, but pinning down an approximate date for the coin would be very nice.

Any coin experts out there???

DSCN0760.JPG
DSCN0753.JPG

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice! What about the obverse side of the coin?

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! What about the obverse side of the coin?

Not much to see on that side, unfortunately:

DSCN0762.JPG DSCN0763.JPG

Here are some pics of a farthing of that period and my coin:

charles ii farthing 1675.png DSCN0760.JPG

The characteristic double ponytails are the giveaway. I just cannot find another coin in the catalogs that matches up...
Anyway, I like finding colonial stuff.
Too bad the black mud of the river bottom is not kinder to copper...

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jolly Mon,
Matching the face as best fit, the shape of the head and location of the tails, and the tails configuration, shoulders is much different between the coin and what you found. Your find appears to have much more of a feminine shape.

Here is an overlay...(black outline is your find)

compare1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jolly Mon,
Matching the face as best fit, the shape of the head and location of the tails, and the tails configuration, shoulders is much different between the coin and what you found. Your find appears to have much more of a feminine shape.

Here is an overlay...(black outline is your find)

View attachment 830620

Thanks for weighing in and taking the time to do the overlay. You are the first dissenting opinion, but you may be correct. It is difficult to tell by my photograph, but I am holding the coin at a fairly significant angle in order to show the image outline. It is very difficult to see the bust outline straight away. I think this could affect the outline somewhat, but maybe not. Anyway, time will tell !!! Thanks again.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Seeing how it wears over time helps see the similarities. Comparing it to a finer specimen doesn't take into account the pits and wear points that wouldn't show in a finer coin. I think you've got your ID, but the year is in question. The first photo is 1672, second is 1675. Can you see any partial lettering anywhere on yours?

1672 Charles II Farthing.jpg 1675 Charles II Farthing.jpg tnet coin.png

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing how it wears over time helps see the similarities. Comparing it to a finer specimen doesn't take into account the pits and wear points that wouldn't show in a finer coin. I think you've got your ID, but the year is in question. The first photo is 1672, second is 1675. Can you see any partial lettering anywhere on yours?

View attachment 833334 View attachment 833335 View attachment 833337

Thanks for weighing in with an opinion, Darren. The coin is soaking in olive oil and perhaps some lettering will eventually become visible, but as of now, only the bust outline can be seen. A UK member called "Crusader" apparently finds farthings of this vintage fairly regularly. He states that 1675 is the most commonly found due to a large minting of that year. I am fairly sure the coin is a Charles II farthing. There really are not many other options.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions