ID Help from a Mountain Hunt and Some Notes on Campsites

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on a lengthy mountain hunt today and walked away with a scraper/graver, a broken tip, a ton of flakes, and this point. I've always wanted to find one serrated. It's got a broken tip and a broken ear. You may need to click the image to see it larger. Any idea what type of point this would've been and age/date? NC mountains.

ArrowheadMountain2.PNG

I found atleast three campsites up there. And I'm starting to notice a pattern. Most of the campsites I find, both at this location and others in the area, are on saddles, or the ridgeline between two peaks. Anybody else notice this trend?

Attachments

• ArrowheadMountain.jpg
    ArrowheadMountain.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Bituminous..........Some good sites along creeks and many hill top Monongahela Culture villages.

Crumb

Feb 9, 2020
Mountains of East K.y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400 ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I?ve found a lot of points/chips/flint etc in the low gaps and big flat points in the mountains of eastern ky. I like to walk freshly cut logging roads after they have been rained on 5 or 6 times and have found some good stuff. The reason I started doing this is a buddy of mine found a big nice point stuck on the butt end of a log in the mud one day. Apparently they skidded the log across an old site somewhere above this log yard. So we started walking the roads up this hill and found a bunch of chips and flint and I think like 3 good pieces were there was a big low gap and a big wide flat point close by. So I?m sure u could find stuff there too

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High ground sites without water within a very short distance may have been more about the view and perhaps ceremonial and less about daily staple food production. That?s the case out here. Not sure what culture you?re dealing with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread