gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for help from anybody on I’d for this pewter button. I have tried researching it but have not come up with anything and any help would be appreciated. It looks like it has Iv on the front which I am guessing might be a rev war regiment?
4AB3D749-EAB7-4532-8C07-F35D16006817.jpeg
Thanks for any help

Upvote 5

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just see "V" on it, maybe a it's a Massachusetts 5th regiment button :dontknow:

If you search "Massachusetts revolutionary war button 5th regiment" you'll see images of 5th regiment button

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could it be Mass 1V? pg. 228 " Insignia or Independence" by Don Troiani

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you see any writing on it? This is the only one I found in my book that looks similar.

20191201_164559.jpg

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a Mass V11 that I dug a few years ago. Nice find !! I hope you preserve it massv11.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's probably a Mass. 4th Regt. button. Only use toothpicks or Andre's pencils to clean it. Water will ruin it.

OP
OP
G

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you may have nailed it cannon ball and grasshopper. Here is a better pic is there anything I can do to clean it? I am good with old coppers but not pewter
DB701292-16E1-4FF4-B114-AC105D26D64B.jpeg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a set of the Andre's Pencils. Go slowly. Don't use water. Toothpicks also work but take forever. You slowly scrape the dirt away from the numbers, and there are letters on the top and bottom. Go sllloowwww.

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the find! I think, if it's pewter, it should be sealed after cleaning, so it does not flake apart. Others will have better advice on how to do that. I've used polyurethane, and it seems to have worked, but mine wasn't such a good find. You'll want advice from an expert.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seal my pewters with a quick spray of matt polyurethane and immediately patt the excess off with a paper towel. That's done well after it has dried.

OP
OP
G

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info, you guys are a wealth of knowledge

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome old relic and great IDs

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a set of the Andre's Pencils. Go slowly. Don't use water. Toothpicks also work but take forever. You slowly scrape the dirt away from the numbers, and there are letters on the top and bottom. Go sllloowwww.
I wouldn't do this. I broke a Roman Silver Coin, Pewter is way to risky, it may have faults you can't see. Soapy water & a tooth brush is fine, you just need to make sure it drys out well before you seal it.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you may have nailed it cannon ball and grasshopper. Here is a better pic is there anything I can do to clean it? I am good with old coppers but not pewter
View attachment 1776390

Okay, I see the IV now :laughing7:. That is a great find, Revolutionary War buttons are AWESOME. Congrats.

What I have done in the past to clean pewter buttons is remove the dirt with a toothpick and a damp Q-tip or paper towel, let it dry completely, and then seal it with Mod-Podge(a thin white glue based sealer, you can find it in craft stores) or watered down Elmer's white school glue.

pewterbutton.jpg pewterbutton2.jpg

Here is a pewter button I found this fall and used the preservation technique mentioned above. It seals it completely and prevents it from crumbling. This technique also works for other pewter items such as spoon bowls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread